You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its false economy not to sign him as if we where to loose him for a free the we would be in effect losing a 15m player (his current value in my opinion). who's value could rise to 35m .

35M? Calm down son.

Ifs buts and maybes. On the balance of world class being a very rare breed, Id take a punt that Sterling will be lucky to go on and have a mediocre career. He looks ok, but not sure why people are going so mad about him.

People that keep pointing to Downing and Cole and Carroll regards wages are missing the point spectacularly. They are remanents of an era we are desperately trying to move on from- not just change the name on the wageslips.

We've been badly mis-managed financially and its high time we got our shit together. You dont do that by giving in to unreasonable demands of a 17year old with less than half a season under his belt.

35M? Calm down son.

Ifs buts and maybes. On the balance of world class being a very rare breed, Id take a punt that Sterling will be lucky to go on and have a mediocre career. He looks ok, but not sure why people are going so mad about him.

People that keep pointing to Downing and Cole and Carroll regards wages are missing the point spectacularly. They are remanents of an era we are desperately trying to move on from- not just change the name on the wageslips.

We've been badly mis-managed financially and its high time we got our shit together. You dont do that by giving in to unreasonable demands of a 17year old with less than half a season under his belt.

I agree with the bolded part there Dave, but i feel you may be underestimating his potential.

do i agree that we should pay him £50,000? no i feel it should start around £25,000 and tiered to £50,000 depending on certain criteria i.e games played, goals scored, assists made, and contribution to the side . but as you have stated we have been badly mis-managed financially for years and he is breaking into this team when we have a lot of unflushable turds on extremely good money, out playing them week in week out, he is now a current England international (i know it was only a political selection) whereas some of the unflushable turds are not. there is a new TV deal that kicks in as of next season which will bring a massive influx of income, these agents know it and they want their slice.

what was done at the end og the G&H reign and the big summer spree of 2011 is going to take along time to reverse, not letting a 17 year old have another £20,000 pw would be the least of our worries if he decided to run his contract down. we would then be in the market for an attacker of proven ability, wo will most likely want parity with the better earners in the club.

We might all be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here as he cannot sign the contract until his 18th birthday, so maybe on the 9th we can all break out into histerics.

Or perhaps it is you missing the points?

The Pl wage stratas are where they are- you cannot uninvent them. Why should Sterling, playing every week and an England international not look at Joe Cole on 100k a week and say “I’m earning my money, he’s not- and I want to be paid accordingly?”

How do you reconcile getting our shot together, with potentially letting Sterling go to a rival forcing us to pay out MORE than 50k a week over a five year contract in fees and wagesto secure a replacement?

Or perhaps it is you missing the points?

The Pl wage stratas are where they are- you cannot uninvent them. Why should Sterling, playing every week and an England international not look at Joe Cole on 100k a week and say “I’m earning my money, he’s not- and I want to be paid accordingly?”

How do you reconcile getting our shot together, with potentially letting Sterling go to a rival forcing us to pay out MORE than 50k a week over a five year contract in fees and wagesto secure a replacement?

Quite right too. Pay absolutely everyone what Joe Cole is on. As a minimum. That will work.

Based on the fact that Sterling is likely to emulate Pele based on his performances this season, it will be small beans when he is regularly leading us to European Dominance- which is surely only a matter of time.

As a matter of interest- who did you have in mind that we would have to sign to replace him if and when he decides he is far too good for us? Interested to know who you would compare him with?

[/b]

I agree with the bolded part there Dave, but i feel you may be underestimating his potential.

do i agree that we should pay him £50,000? no i feel it should start around £25,000 and tiered to £50,000 depending on certain criteria i.e games played, goals scored, assists made, and contribution to the side . but as you have stated we have been badly mis-managed financially for years and he is breaking into this team when we have a lot of unflushable turds on extremely good money, out playing them week in week out, he is now a current England international (i know it was only a political selection) whereas some of the unflushable turds are not. there is a new TV deal that kicks in as of next season which will bring a massive influx of income, these agents know it and they want their slice.

what was done at the end og the G&H reign and the big summer spree of 2011 is going to take along time to reverse, not letting a 17 year old have another £20,000 pw would be the least of our worries if he decided to run his contract down. we would then be in the market for an attacker of proven ability, wo will most likely want parity with the better earners in the club.

We might all be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here as he cannot sign the contract until his 18th birthday, so maybe on the 9th we can all break out into histerics.

Performance based contract I would agree with mate. Im just not getting the whole- "give him whatever he want at whatever costs" because he's so good.

Quite right too. Pay absolutely everyone what Joe Cole is on. As a minimum. That will work.

Based on the fact that Sterling is likely to emulate Pele based on his performances this season, it will be small beans when he is regularly leading us to European Dominance- which is surely only a matter of time.

As a matter of interest- who did you have in mind that we would have to sign to replace him if and when he decides he is far too good for us? Interested to know who you would compare him with?

You have missed the point.

Sterling's contract will be determined by the broader market. We can choose not to match that ( as Arsenal have done on several ccasions recently), but if the market can offer what we cannot, he will be off.

Your final question will dominate Ayres thinking. Maxi was on 90k a week, Downing cost £20m and is reputedly on 90k a week, Borini cost £11m and 60k a week, all give an indication of the costs involved of a replacement.

Of course no-one should pay whatever a player demands. That is different from not offering a player a wage he can get elsewhere when he has a choice.

Of course no-one should pay whatever a player demands. That is different from not offering a player a wage he can get elsewhere when he has a choice.

Suarez could have earned more elsewhere but chose to sign a new contract here during the summer. Skrtel and Agger too.

Gerrard could have left and earned a lot more too.

If we tried to match what a player could hypothetically earn elsewhere we'd be screwed.

Guest davelfc
Suarez could have earned more elsewhere but chose to sign a new contract here during the summer. Skrtel and Agger too.

If we tried to match what a player could hypothetically earn elsewhere we'd be screwed.

So there were no pay increases in the contacts they signed?

You could argue that the contacts ensure the club would get much more money if they sold them at a later date. Which is one of the reasons they offer players contracts, because it certainly isn't in order to keep them.

(by that I mean a long contract is no guarantee that a player will see it out)

35M? Calm down son.

Yeah, he's an exciting young player but nothing at all to suggest yet that he's "special" a la Gerrard, Owen, Fowler, etc, players of that ilk. Right now he's as much Michael Branch as he is Steven Gerrard.

LFD you act like 50k a week is run of the mill stuff. Without a mega rich owner or massive turnover its a hell of a lot of money to be spending on potential. At 50k a week he would be a top earner at Borussia Dortmund. Looking at their squad he would be well down the list in terms of quality.

Over the last 20 years the clubs has wasted hundreds of millions of pounds on footballers who simply are not worth it. Its time we made a stand and for once actually got value for our money.

Bang on the money there George. Bang on the money.

I will be unhappy if an 18 year old who has 20+ games under his belt gets more than £15k a week.

Actually I think it should be £90 a week like I was on at his age.

Exactly

If football is now based PURELY on comparable wages on offer then we may as well jack it in.

Sterling has a long long way to go before he can claim to be in the same bracket as the above players mentioned- yet he seems to be being advised that he is.

This trait of character doesnt bode well for the future, contract or not

Some interesting examples there.

All were under contract. All enjoyed significant pay increases, why? To match the market.

Minddful of Suarez record last year, £125k is very competitive- more than RVP was on last year. Who was offering more? For Agger its about contract length because of his injury record.

Guest ShoePiss
You have missed the point.

Sterling's contract will be determined by the broader market. We can choose not to match that ( as Arsenal have done on several ccasions recently), but if the market can offer what we cannot, he will be off.

Your final question will dominate Ayres thinking. Maxi was on 90k a week, Downing cost £20m and is reputedly on 90k a week, Borini cost £11m and 60k a week, all give an indication of the costs involved of a replacement.

Borini is on 60k?

Why don't they give him a wage that rises (and is the difference is paid) once he gets to 50 premiership appearances?

So £30k per week, after 50 performances he moves up to £50k and the difference is paid as a signing on fee. This time next year if his improvement remains the same, he will move up and get £1m fee back.

His age is totally irrelevant as far as restricting his salary is confirmed. You can't argue that because he's young, he oughtn't to get the same salary as anybody else in his position. He's a starter for the team -- I'd say it's worth pay market value for him on a weekly basis, and maybe even more to protect the potential transfer fee we'll get for him. That's simple economics, and in the current climate, he's worth paying 50k a week to.

Bang on the money there George. Bang on the money.

I will be unhappy if an 18 year old who has 20+ games under his belt gets more than £15k a week.

Think you might have to move with the times.

I bet you weren't working for an institution that was about to receive £90m per season in TV rights and operated in a ridiculously over-inflated business setting like football and the EPL.

Eveyone wants a slice and the cake is getting bigger and bigger. Stirlings want more, Henrys and Werners want more.

Guess who's paying the cake.

The major point some are overlooking here IMO, is that it's not simply a case of a player's quality either now or in the future when determining their wages, but also their age and the effect that will have on their attitude and the precident it will set.

Football is just one of many, many fields, stretching back into the dawn of time, which embraced the concept of serving an apprenticship. I don't quite expect these lads to clean the players' boots anymore, but there still should be a definite sense of serving your time, earning your reputation and building your career from the ground up. Respect is earned over time, not given away purely because you're good at something - at least it shouldn't be.