You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

can't see a thread about this so I thought I'd start one.

I think if we fail to tie Raheem to a long term contract then it will be a devastating blow to the club and the idea that we are going to build the future from the academy.

According to the Guardian, Sterling turns 18 on 8th December and can sign his first proper contract then but his agent is negotiating for more money which is fair enough. There's talk of him being offered 30k a week which is a huge sum of money for a kid but he and his agent are holding out for 50k a week.

while I'm not saying we should give him what he wants but 50k a week for the hottest prospect in english football isn't a lot of money considering we made robbie fowler the highest paid footballer in England @ 50k a week in 1997. before the mentalists start accusing me of comparing fowler and sterling, I'm not. I'm saying 50k 15 years ago was a lot more than 50k is now. I think fowler and roy keane were the highest paid players for a while and 50k was regarded as a ridiculous amount of money to pay a footballer per week. today Jordan Henderson, Darren Bent and peter crouch probably earn at least that.

This Sterling contract is probably the next most important stage in FSGs ownership and will go a long way to indicating where and how this club intends to go in the next few years.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly whether we like it or not we will have to pay him 50k a week, as the likes of Arsenal Chelsea and Man City would happily offer him that.

There were rumours of him wanting a move back to London, not so long ago too, which won't help.

I'm intrigued to see how this all plays out. Man United recently let Pogba go to Juventus because his agent was demanding 40k a week.

Maybe if Rodgers stopped talking about it in the press all the time Sterling would have the time to sign it.

Yea, he's spending all his time reading what Rodgers has said in the press, he's missing all of Ayres phone calls. Top class observation. It can't be that he's waiting until he's 18, you know, like he said.

Best player this season apart from Suarez, he's 17 and only going to get better imagine him 2/3 years from now, he's going to be immense.

We need to stop fucking around and pay what's required, half of Arsenals shite players are on 50k a week, get it done.

Just hope it's not dragged out then in January FSG announce a major signing and it's Sterling, that wouldn't suprise me at all.

I can actually see that.

Come January 25th or so and we've made one loan signing and they will start to leak to the press that we're about to make 'a major attacking signing.'

Cue three days of frantic speculation about Walcott and Huntelaar, only to have the newfound hope quenched when it's announced that what was meant was we're signing Sterling to a 4-year deal. That actually sounds like something Ayre and our PR department might think was clever.

I can actually see that.

Come January 25th or so and we've made one loan signing and they will start to leak to the press that we're about to make 'a major attacking signing.'

Cue three days of frantic speculation about Walcott and Huntelaar, only to have the newfound hope quenched when it's announced that what was meant was we're signing Sterling to a 4-year deal. That actually sounds like something Ayre and our PR department might think was clever.

I think if they do this they be digging them selves a hole, we ain't that stupid to fall for this type of ruse.

Failing to sign a 17-year old will never have a devastating blow on LFC.

Our club has much, much bigger issues to deal with.

yeah let's get about sacking our 4th manager in 2.5 years.

that's what the club needs - let's start again, again.

obviously you're not arsed whether he stays or not.

I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers. I hate Brendan Rodgers.

Ad infinitum.

Change the record Code will you. It's gone way past being fucking boring.

Lets put this into perspective. Obviously we would all like Sterling to stay as he has 'potential' at the moment but he's not a world beater yet (I know he's 17!) and is nowhere near the potential that Gerrard, Fowler, Owen or Rooney showed at that age. He has a chance to be very good, a very good chance in fact, but how many of these wonderkids have we seen come through the academy and then fade once a big contract is put in front of them once his thinks he's made it? His strength is his speed but what if an injury affects this as his finishing compared to Owen amd Fowler (as youngsters) is poor.

Basically, he is not the messiah. I want him to stay but if he moves I've seen nothing that he's done which justifies a massive wage me yet. He has a lot of improving to do and its up to him and there is no guarantee.