You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At the risk of ridicule what are the chances off wildcat living in the Nortwest of England?

We've just moved house in Stockport, it's pretty rural and mostly farmland on one side stretching about 10 miles up to Bollington. Anyway, last night both me and the missus saw a MASSIVE cat in the back garden. My first thought was it was a wildcat, we googled images and to me it's spot on. I'm away tonight and the wife has seen it again. Honestly it's fucking huge, has the right markings but google is also telling me they only live in Scotland and are very timid.

Do I have a holidaying wildcat? Is it an illegal immigrant? Do I need to inform Johnny Morris and terry nutkins?

Looks like we have a suspect....

More sightings of the Hazel Grove ‘big cat’ | Stockport Express - menmedia.co.uk

More sightings of the Hazel Grove ‘big cat

February 01, 2012

C_71_article_1472669_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?01%2F02%2F2012%2012%3A00%3A52%3A029

There have been more sightings of a big cat in Hazel Grove.

We reported how semi-retired businessman Peter Jackson had spotted the ‘mountain lion’ type creature in the back garden of his Longnor Road home.

The 54-year-old was woken by the barking of his pet dog on January 16 and spotted what he described as a ‘large black cat’.

Police later issued a warning saying that anyone seeing it should not approach it.

Jean Bruckshaw, 80, of Grendale Avenue, contacted us to say she had seen the cat the day before Mr Jackson.

She said: “At the time I was washing the dishes and looked out of the back window and saw a large black cat prowling in a neighbour’s garden.

“It had a big tail similar to a fox but not a brushy one, and I can say I have never seen such a huge cat before.

“My neighbour also said that she had seen it.”

Mrs Bruckshaw said she thought the cat made its escape onto a railway embankment behind her street.

Mr Jackson described the animal as about four-and-a-half feet in length, with a tail of similar size, three-feet tall, with a shiny black coat and bronze coloured eyes. Experts believe it could be a savannah – a domestic hybrid cat that is a cross between a serval and a domestic cat.

Another neighbour, who did not wished to be named, said: “People are concerned about this animal and have been taking in their rabbits and pets from the garden as a precaution and I know of other people who have stopped using the Lyme Road/Chester Road cut through after dark, for fear the animal may attack.”

Mystery of 'mountain lion' spotted in Hazel Grove garden | Stockport Express - menmedia.co.uk

Mystery of 'mountain lion' spotted in Hazel Grove garden

Police have warned people not to approach a large cat spotted in a garden. The alarm was raised by semi-retired businessman Peter Jackson, 54, who was woken in the early hours of Monday by the barks of his labrador Tilly.

Mr Jackson saw what he described as a large ‘mountain lion’ type animal in his garden at Longnor Road, Hazel Grove.

Hair samples left at the scene have been taken away for analysis and police are investigating.

Experts believe the animal may have been a melanistic savannah – a medium-sized black cat, probably imported as a pet.

Mr Jackson said: "I am a light sleeper and when the dog started barking and the security light came on in the garden I dived out of bed and saw this large animal with a black silky coat with large bronze coloured eyes.

"The dog was barking at it from inside our conservatory, but it approached him from the outside with little or no fear, and let out a low growl.

"I started banging on the window and when it saw me it turned at speed and bounded away through a gap in the fence and out onto surrounding fields. It looked like some sort of puma to me because you could see the power in its shoulders"

Mr Jackson said he and wife Debra, 47, are used to seeing wildlife in their garden but he had never seen anything as big as this before.

He added: "I was in total shock, as it’s not the thing you expect to see in Hazel Grove.

"I discussed with my wife whether or not to report it for fear of being ridiculed.

"But we decided we simply could not live with ourselves if this animal was to attack a child.

"I would estimate the animal was four-and-a-half feet in length with a tail similar in size to its body and was about 3ft tall."

Mr Jackson reported the sighting to police.

A police spokesman said: "We had a report that a large ‘mountain lion type’ animal was seen at 3.40am on Monday morning.

"The Unknown Phenomena Investigation Association(UPIA) has been to Mr Jackson’s home and taken away samples of hair for analysis.

"We will be investigating it further, and reassuring residents. If anybody sees this animal they should not approach it but contact police."

Kirst D’Raven, of the UPIA, who carried out a three-hour forensic investigation on Monday, said: "I have little doubt that he saw what he believes to be a medium-sized cat – medium as opposed to a domestic sized or one of the larger species – possibly one of the domestic exotic hybrid breeds such as a melanistic savannah.

"We are liaising with GMP but we are taking this sighting very seriously.

"We took away samples of hair from the garden to try to identify what sort of cat it might be."

There used to be loads of random animals between Leek & Buxton in the Peak district.

Some old toff used to have his own zoo, then couldn't afford the upkeep & let them out into the wild.

There were loads of wallabies living around the Roaches for years as they seemed to adapt to environment.

I and may others have seen & heard large cats near Rudyard lake.

Not too unusual as they only make the press if a "townie" sees one, or they start eating livestock/pets.

No lions though:(

I once saw this massive black cat sat on a fence post out the back of where I used to live.

Although it was night time and it was jet black, no way was it an ordinary house cat. I had seen The Owton Manor Panther !

Mind you, I had just rolled in mortal, from a New Years Eve piss up.

True story.

• 1 year later...

Tiger on the loose in France

Paris tiger: Recap updates as police hunt big cat on the loose near Disneyland Paris
Authorities are hunting for a tiger after a big cat was spotted this morning

tiger-print-main.jpg
Tiger: A tiger has been reported on the loose near Paris

A major police operation was launched to capture what is believed to be  a TIGER on the loose near the Disneyland Paris theme park.

The extraordinary hunt was launched after a woman reported seeing the beast prowling near a supermarket car park in the town of Montevrain, east of the capital earlier today.

Police and firefighters armed with tranquilliser guns were soon scrambled to the area, and residents were warned to stay indoors.

Officers were posted outside local schools to protect the children inside.

But after nearly 12 hours of hunting, the search was fruitless.

Read on to see a full recap of events from the dramatic search

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/paris-tiger-recap-updates-police-4620644

You fucking soft Europeans getting all excited about what basically is an oversized domestic house cat on the loose in France.

I was out walking the dog and aboot 100m away, between the graveyard road and old ball diamond was a wolf. It was a lone wolf so I wasn't too worried and wa acting normally, scavenging for food. It's when they act irrationally and are potentially rabid or in a pack you worry.

There have already been four or five wolves killed as they roamed close to town. Along with a rogue wolverine who had the misfortune of wandering around on the frozen lake too near to town.

Felt sorry for the wolverine as they will fend off barren ground grizzlies and are mean as fuck, basically a honry badger with roid rage and the jaw strength of a shark. Their pelts are worth a lot and prized by the Inuit.

I can honestly say that in all my years of wildlife encounters the only time I shat myself was this fucking moose that I pissed off when I was canoeing and came around a bend in the river and it was in the drink cooling off and I stattled it. The beast started thrashing and making all sorts of angry moose noises and snorts.

• Upvote 2