You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GB olympic cycling's renowned sports psychiatrist joins Liverpool

Jhinge Machha

Paisley was also an excellent physio, but it doesn't mean sports science hasn't advanced in the interim. Take the influence of Milan lab as an example of how a professional approach can make improvements over having a nouse for something.

I don't think too many doubt the benefit of a professional approach. The question is has the "science" caught up with the nouse yet? Doesn't seem to me that it has.

I don't think too many doubt the benefit of a professional approach. The question is has the "science" caught up with the nouse yet? Doesn't seem to me that it has.

Certainly seem so to have worked for Team Sky and I cant see why the same principles cant be transferred to football

Certainly seem so to have worked for Team Sky and I cant see why the same principles cant be transferred to football

Team Sky are winning because of their budget though? Aren't they?

I admit to knowing next to nothing about cycling but it seems to me that they have bought the best riders in the world and therefore have won races and I get the impression that the other stuff they do, in comparison, is quite inconsequential.

It would be like Man City pointing to their medical department as a reason for their success, as an example.

I'm not doubting the benefit, just questioning whether or not football is as far behind as some might at first believe. I don't think it's an accident that Ferguson and Mourinho teams are the way they are. They may not have written white papers and systematized their knowledge. But they're doing it and from what little I know they are out-performing the "professionals".

And there lies the reason for Sky's success, looking at anything and everything that may gain them some advantage over their rivals (except drugs). And, yes, they have the budget to do this but they are putting their resources to good use...unlike examples close to home

I'm not sure what effect he can have on the likes of Cole or Downing but he's a very impressive track record* of success.

*Pun intended.

Well, Cole was a lot better on Thursday....just saying

but equally, there's that old favourite, you cant polish a turd

Team Sky are winning because of their budget though? Aren't they?

I admit to knowing next to nothing about cycling but it seems to me that they have bought the best riders in the world and therefore have won races and I get the impression that the other stuff they do, in comparison, is quite inconsequential.

It would be like Man City pointing to their medical department as a reason for their success, as an example.

Sky are obviously rich but theres far more to it than that , they haven't just bought the best riders in the world , they do have a great squad but so do a fair few of other cycling teams ......

What makes Team Sky/British Cycling so successful is they dont leave a stone unturned , they are ridiculously into detail on every possible legal thing that can get the best out of a cyclist , even as far as how their cycle skin suits are stitched.

Its all in the details with them , marginal gains ,they are perfectionists basically , if they can improve anything by just 1% for better performance they will , improve 10 things by 1% it all starts adding up , thats where this psychologist comes in , hes just a very small cog in the huge Sky/British Cycling machine , ive only ever heard good things said about him and what he does.

Cole wasn't that good on Thursday. People are talking more about his performance as they were so suprised he wasn't a fucking disgrace yet again.

In my humble opinion of course.

Nobody said he was a miracle worker! Seriously, in Cole's case these things are all relative but more relevant her is that I have no idea whether Peters has been supporting Cole

I always remember this interview with Shane Sutton (Brailsfords right hand man) who has been a huge part in all the Cycling success.

He was asked if the methods British Cycling use could be transferred to football , he said yes some could ...... he was saying about one footed football players and how it was inexplicapble that some professional footballers are only good with one foot.

Got the impression he thought football was a bit of a joke when it comes to proffesionalism and maxxing a footballers potential.

Quite a while ago that interview , cant remember it all but he made some really interesting points , personally think every sport should take a look at the cycling set up , they are the best of the best and there is a lot to learn from them

I always remember this interview with Shane Sutton (Brailsfords right hand man) who has been a huge part in all the Cycling success.

He was asked if the methods British Cycling use could be transferred to football , he said yes some could ...... he was saying about one footed football players and how it was inexplicapble that some professional footballers are only good with one foot.

Got the impression he thought football was a bit of a joke when it comes to proffesionalism and maxxing a footballers potential.

Quite a while ago that interview , cant remember it all but he made some really interesting points , personally think every sport should take a look at the cycling set up , they are the best of the best and there is a lot to learn from them

I heard him make the same points just the other day, so I'm guessing it was on the programme about Bradley Wiggins shown on Sky on Wednesday night