You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GB olympic cycling's renowned sports psychiatrist joins Liverpool

Jhinge Machha

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers brings Great Britain Olympic cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to Anfield - Telegraph

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers brings Great Britain Olympic cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to Anfield

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has recruited the country’s leading sports psychiatrist, Dr Steve Peters, to strengthen his Anfield backroom team. Peters, credited with inspiring the all-conquering Great Britain Olympic cycling team, has been working at Anfield for the past two months, offering private surgeries to senior players and coaching staff.

Rodgers says there is no compulsion for anyone to see Peters, but his introduction has been warmly received. He has been spending one day a week at the Melwood training ground, discussing the demands of being a top level sportsman on a one-to-one basis.

Last season, Peters added former Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy to a high profile list of sports clients.

He is best known for working with the likes of Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton.

“We have brought in a guy who is the top man in his field, one of the leaders in the world at what he does and it is a real coup for us to get someone like that in,” said Rodgers.

“I see it as a part of the development of the player. The modern game is very much about the psychological aspect of it. I will do lots of technical training, tactical training and physical training and sometimes what gets bypassed is the mental tuning for players. So it is for every age really. It is not solely for players but staff and other people. He has been fantastic since he was involved.

“It is about elite performance. As a manager, it can be lonely as well when you are the leader and trying to drive and lead the club forward. It is always good to have other people. I have my staff around me and they are outstanding, but it is always nice to have a different set of eyes with different experiences.

“At the clubs I have been at I have always used neurologists. “I must stress it is not a psychologist. It is neurology.”

Rodgers returns to Swansea on Sunday with midfielder Joe Allen for the first time since leaving for Anfield. “For me there are certainly no regrets. Swansea was a great time in my life but you move on professionally,” Rodgers said.

interesting approach. i dont know much about him as i dont follow GB cycling. thoughts?

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers brings Great Britain Olympic cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to Anfield - Telegraph

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers brings Great Britain Olympic cycling psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters to Anfield

interesting approach. i dont know much about him as i dont follow GB cycling. thoughts?

Havent read the report yet but my first reaction is.... Wow!

i think brendan is cracking up..

Not at all. The stuff I have seen him on he has come across very well. Having now read the article I see that he has already been here for 2 months although players work with him on a voluntary basis. I would be fascinated to hear him speak and to know how he is adopting his skills working to football.

He comes across as having a very positive approach and in the things I've seen cyclists like Pendleton have spoken very highly of him.

On a flippant note, I dont see his hand on the 3 envelopes nonsense!

Not at all. The stuff I have seen him on he has come across very well. Having now read the article I see that he has already been here for 2 months although players work with him on a voluntary basis. I would be fascinated to hear him speak and to know how he is adopting his skills working to football.

He comes across as having a very positive approach and in the things I've seen cyclists like Pendleton have spoken very highly of him.

didnt realise you were being serious there. thought it was sarcasm.

looks like Peters was helping bellamy after speed's death. maybe this might've helped bellamy maintain his excellent form last season.

quote from another article.

"They arranged for Bellamy to see sports psychologist Steve Peters, a man who works with cyclists Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins among others. For Bellamy, the meeting was transformational, bringing him, he says, fresh and calm introspection."

You wouldn't be saying that if you knew some of the things I knew.

Does anyone really care, really?

I do

Well you can see that quite obviously from the effect he had on the British cycling team...

If only he could bring Dave Brailsford along with him too :whistle: (I'm sort of joking with that one, but....)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Is this the guy who worked with Murray just before he went on to win the Olympics and US Open?

EDIT: Just watching the YT vid above: Worked with Ronnie O'Sullivan. Mentalist.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Well you can see that quite obviously from the effect he had on the British cycling team...

How do you know the success was down to anything he did? How can you quantify it? And if he is so good, why was Pendleton still so emotionally unstable?

We need more data before we can make such evaluations.

Is this the guy who worked with Murray just before he went on to win the Olympics and US Open?

I dont know about that but I see that he has recently started working with UK Athletics and is also working with the England Rugby team

How do you know the success was down to anything he did? How can you quantify it? And if he is so good, why was Pendleton still so emotionally unstable?

We need more data before we can make such evaluations.

In the programme about Pendleton, shortly before the Olympics, she credited him with getting her back into a position where she could train again after the Athens Olympics and on to London. On

a flippant note, Pendleton's problems appear to big for anyone to resolve.

In the programme about Pendleton, shortly before the Olympics, she credited him with getting her back into a position where she could train again after the Athens Olympics and on to London. On

a flippant note, Pendleton's problems appear to big for anyone to resolve.

Still can't get her out of your head, Champ?!