You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest davelfc

A big pay off and a few months sitting it out before some other club employs him. Crazy the world of football isn't it. You can wander from club to club being totally shite and making millions while you do it.

There's a shit pit of managers just like him that smaller clubs seem to be attracted to.

Its irksome that these wankstain managers earn millions when there are probably hundreds who are more qualified within the general public.

The whole culture of hiring ex-players is moronic.

It always annoys me when I see people say fans don't have a clue because we never played the game to a high level etc...

There is so much fucking stupidity in football I'm convinced theres many cases where you could probably drop in an armchair football manager wannabe and they'd do a better job than some of the fucking twats out there involved in football.

It always annoys me when I see people say fans don't have a clue because we never played the game to a high level etc...

There is so much fucking stupidity in football I'm convinced theres many cases where you could probably drop in an armchair football manager wannabe and they'd do a better job than some of the fucking twats out there involved in football.

Undoubtedly, how fucking astute could Ian Dowie or Dave Bassett be?

I often wonder if it'd be of any use trying to explore a career in football management - and dismiss it immediately. Its mainly jobs for the boys and thats why we see the same old dimwitted fucks occupying massive roles within both management and the media.

Fans are as much to blame. They love an old hero coming back to own the club, or manage it.

They want a 'big name', then if they can't get that, the biggest name of the tier 2 managers.

Very few fans are keen on a manager who's done well in the lower leagues. The sponsors want big names, the players (seem) to want big names - it's a vicious circle.

In fact, go on ANY club forum and you'll see most fans talking about 'what's he won?'. They'd be up in arms if you said "manager of the year at Barclays bank".

The bloke is an absolute fucking fraud. The reason it's taken a week to sack him, I gather, is that they asked him to resign at the weekend and he refused. He's spent the week negotiating how much payoff he's walking away with for being sacked. How this arsewipe of a manager repeatedly gets work is beyond me. But give it a few months, some gullible dickhead of a chairman will bend over and spread his cheeks for Mark fucking Hughes to dry bum him for yet another sacking payoff.

Company directors are banned from running companies if they keep fucking them up. Same thing should apply to cunts like Mark Hughes who take millions out of the sport for being utter shite at their jobs. "Fit and proper person" tests only apply to owners - well they should apply to managers too. Hughes would fail that test spectacularly.

It's not just that they somehow manage to con their way in to job after job. When they are between jobs, they tend to turn up in the various Sky studios where they are presumably paid to talk shite while advertising themselves as being available for employment to whoever is stupid enough to give them yet ANOTHER chance.

An absolutely incedible gravy train!

The lads on here who think they could a job managing a side- why not have a crack? Seriously, why not have a go at your badges? Maybe start off coaching kids or gett involved with a local semi-pro outfit (even if it's on a voluntary basis) or even have a crack at a Sunday or Saturday League side? It's not an overnight job by any means, but at least it's getting your foot on that bottom rung.

It's not just about knowing the intricacies of a 4-4-2, a 3-5-2. For instance, would you really know where to start if you walked into a dressing room low on confidence and already treated with a degree of suspicion from the moment you walked in? Would you be able to take a training session suitable for Premier League footballers?

Villas-Boas never played pro, and I'm not even sure if he played semi-pro either, but here he is today as a Premier League manager with a European trophy on his CV.

If you're genuinely serious, then why not give it a go? No point moaning about ex-players having the monopoly. There's a reason for it, being that they've been in and around the game for most of their lives, even if some of them are fucking useless.

I think most people who think they could manage a football club without any prior experience and who genuinely believe that are probably bonkers.

But its a bullshit cop out argument I see that gets tossed around on football forums when people say "You never played football at the top level so how could you know better than Manager XYZ"

So say when Roy Hodgson buys Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen, it was obviously the right decision because he has 35 years experience in the game?

Its fairly easy to see stuff like that is stupidity that requires some serious incompetence.

Does that mean Hodgson is completely shit and someone like me could do a better job, hell no. Well he is completely shit like...

But basically it shouldn't ever be used as an argument by people when backing up obviously ludicrous decisions.

I think most people who think they could manage a football club without any prior experience and who genuinely believe that are probably bonkers.

But its a bullshit cop out argument I see that gets tossed around on football forums when people say "You never played football at the top level so how could you know better than Manager XYZ"

So say when Roy Hodgson buys Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen, it was obviously the right decision because he has 35 years experience in the game?

Its fairly easy to see stuff like that is stupidity that requires some serious incompetence.

Does that mean Hodgson is completely shit and someone like me could do a better job, hell no. Well he is completely shit like...

But basically it shouldn't ever be used as an argument by people when backing up obviously ludicrous decisions.

Good post, mate, and I agree with a lot of points.

The thing is that football is more accessible than ever before because of the internet. If you've got insomnia at three in the morning, you can log on and get a stream for whatever the hell game you like. In that way, spotting decent players and saying 'he'd fit in playing for so and so in whatever position' has become a lot easier and some of the fan's opinions will be more than valid on matters like that.

I'd also suggest that there are times when the fans knowledge of the global game and tactical trends exceeds that of a manager. When was the last time Martin O'Neill signed a player from outside the British Isles, for instance? I think the the ability to exploit this market is what separates a good manager from an okay one because to be at the top of your game in this capacity, to be honest, I think you have to be a bit of an anorak with no time for anything else. I remember an interview Bob Wilson gave on Arsene Wenger's obsession for the game when he said he came back from the Indian subcontinent on some goodwill charity thing, and he recommended some young Bangladeshi goalkeeper around 17/18 years old and Wilson was surprised when Wenger had already heard of the lad and could reel off a couple of his strengths and weaknesses.

I think that's why it's so frustrating when you see somebody like Hodgson spunk a couple of quid on garbage like Poulsen and Konchesky, because the world and his wife know how it will end up.

What I mean in my previous post, it's the unseen stuff were the fan would struggle. While they may be able to give a current manager a run for their money in analysing tactics and players, it's dealing with the different characters in the squad and getting the most out of a training session that would flummox them. Pretty much the only way to get around that- if the fan was serious enough- would be to start at the very bottom- scooping up shit from a cabbage patch of a pitch, putting cones out in the freezing cold, helping kids put their bibs on the right way around- and then work their way up. It's pretty much the only way, as ex-players have obviously been around enough dressing rooms and been involved in enough training sessions over their career to gain even the most basic of knowledge on that front.

Imagine if Tony Fernandes took leave of his senses and decided to give the QPR job to a fan he just bumped in to walking around Shepherds Bush? Them walking into that dressing room would just be like feeding a Christian to the lions. Where would the respect come from? They may be able to talk the hind legs off a donkey when it comes to 4-3-3, but they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

A big pay off and a few months sitting it out before some other club employs him. Crazy the world of football isn't it. You can wander from club to club being totally shite and making millions while you do it.

There's a shit pit of managers just like him that smaller clubs seem to be attracted to.

Yep, it's called the Peter Reid effect.

The bloke is an absolute fucking fraud. The reason it's taken a week to sack him, I gather, is that they asked him to resign at the weekend and he refused. He's spent the week negotiating how much payoff he's walking away with for being sacked. How this arsewipe of a manager repeatedly gets work is beyond me. But give it a few months, some gullible dickhead of a chairman will bend over and spread his cheeks for Mark fucking Hughes to dry bum him for yet another sacking payoff.

Company directors are banned from running companies if they keep fucking them up. Same thing should apply to cunts like Mark Hughes who take millions out of the sport for being utter shite at their jobs. "Fit and proper person" tests only apply to owners - well they should apply to managers too. Hughes would fail that test spectacularly.

He is shite like, very shite.