You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pretty sure I've posted in here before. I've always been depressive. I'm uncoordinated and not the best looking so as a kid I was always a bit of a joke. I'm pretty funny though and reasonably intelligent so I always had mates but was always shit at sport and with girls so I've got low self esteem l.

Took tablets since 18 to help anxiety and they do help.

This last year is really putting the tablets to the test. Mrs nephew died in June. Dog died in October ( and I loved her so much). Mum had a major heart operation last month and my dads rapidly dying of cancer ( he's that Ill each week is very tough and it cant be long now)

Just feel empty all I look forward to is Saturday so I can get smashed

• Upvote 7

I've struggled with depression since I was 13. I find its triggered mostly by situational circumstances as opposed to a chemical imbalance. As long as I keep active, busy and engaged with hobbies it usually keeps the wolf from the door

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Been suffering from depression and anxiety for a couple of years now, apart from a few lapses think I’ve got the depression under control for the main but the anxiety is a fucking bitch. 

Just washes over me a feeling of impending doom. Feel like I’ve just got the worst news imaginable, like a death in the family or something. Horrible feeling.

Oh, it’s fucking horrible, that’s for sure. 

Came off the Citalopram about a month ago having been off it for two years, before that I'd been off it for six months and on it for two years before that. 

Have noticed some positives (sex drive deffo firing on all cylinders, not that it was ever terrible, but never felt that arsed either way when I was on them).

It's definitely made me quite narky though and the moods created by a simple inconvenience can last a full day or more. My boss texted me about something yesterday which wasn't really a big deal, but I was basically pissed off all night and most of this morning. It seemed to open up a bit of a pandora's box of moany thoughts, from the state of the nation to the fact people often drive too slowly.

Basically I now come accross exactly like this guy from Wolf of Wallstreet. Chilled - mildly inconvenienced - fumes to anyone who'll listen - then feels guilty about it and tries to simmer down. 

Me mate has had anxiety and depression for years and he's been on and come off drugs loads of times. He reckons my brain is trying to 'learn' how to cope with emotions again after having pretty much a force field around it for so long. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Came off the Citalopram about a month ago having been off it for two years, before that I'd been off it for six months and on it for two years before that. 

Have noticed some positives (sex drive deffo firing on all cylinders, not that it was ever terrible, but never felt that arsed either way when I was on them).

It's definitely made me quite narky though and the moods created by a simple inconvenience can last a full day or more. My boss texted me about something yesterday which wasn't really a big deal, but I was basically pissed off all night and most of this morning. It seemed to open up a bit of a pandora's box of moany thoughts, from the state of the nation to the fact people often drive too slowly.

Basically I now come accross exactly like this guy from Wolf of Wallstreet. Chilled - mildly inconvenienced - fumes to anyone who'll listen - then feels guilty about it and tries to simmer down. 

Me mate has had anxiety and depression for years and he's been on and come off drugs loads of times. He reckons my brain is trying to 'learn' how to cope with emotions again after having pretty much a force field around it for so long. 

And you expect me to read all this in the middle of the fucking equalizer ???

Sorry mate good on you. It will get better. 

• Upvote 2

Interesting yet saddening this recent study:

"Beginning in 2007, the authors report, the rate of suicides among adolescent girls began to outpace the rate of suicides among boys. This finding contradicts the previous pattern in suicide behavior in young adults, sometimes called the “gender paradox.” Historically, boys have taken their own lives at far higher rates than girls have."

https://www.inverse.com/article/55928-teen-suicide-rates-are-rising-in-girls

Abstract:

Importance: Suicide is a leading cause of death among youth aged 10 to 19 years in the United States, with rates traditionally higher in male than in female youth. Recent national mortality data suggest this gap may be narrowing, which warrants investigation.

Objective: To investigate trends in suicide rates among US youth aged 10 to 19 years by age group, sex, race/ethnicity, and method of suicide.

Design, Setting, and Participants: Cross-sectional study using period trend analysis of US suicide decedents aged 10 to 19 years from January 1, 1975, to December 31, 2016. Data were analyzed for periods defined by statistically significant changes in suicide rate trends. Suicide rates were calculated using population estimates.

Main Outcomes and Measures: Period trends in suicide rates by sex and age group were assessed using joinpoint regression. Incidence rate ratios (IRRs) were estimated using negative binomial regression comparing male and female suicide rates within periods.

Results: From 1975 to 2016, we identified 85051 youth suicide deaths in the United States (68085 male [80.1%] and 16 966 female [19.9%]) with a male to female IRR of 3.82 (95% CI, 3.35-4.35). Following a downward trend until 2007, suicide rates for female youth showed the largest significant percentage increase compared with male youth (12.7% vs 7.1% for individuals aged 10-14 years; 7.9% vs 3.5% for individuals aged 15-19 years). The male to female IRR decreased significantly across the study period for youth aged 10 to 14 years (3.14 [95% CI, 2.74-3.61] to 1.80 [95% CI, 1.53-2.12]) and 15 to 19 years (4.15 [95% CI, 3.79-4.54] to 3.31 [95% CI, 2.96-3.69]). Significant declining trends in the male to female IRR were found in non-Hispanic white youth aged 10 to 14 years (3.27 [95% CI, 2.68- 4.00] to 2.04 [95% CI, 1.45-2.89]) and non-Hispanic youth of other races aged 15 to 19 years (4.02 [95% CI, 3.29-4.92] to 2.35 [95% CI, 2.00-2.76]). The male to female IRR for firearms increased significantly for youth aged 15 to 19 years (χ2 = 7.74; P = .02 for sex × period interaction). The male to female IRR of suicide by hanging or suffocation decreased significantly for both age groups (10-14 years: χ2 = 88.83; P < .001 for sex × period interaction and 15-19 years: χ2 = 82.15; P < .001 for sex × period interaction). No significant change was found in the male to female IRR of suicide by poisoning across the study period.

Conclusions and Relevance: A significant reduction in the historically large gap in youth suicide rates between male and female individuals underscores the importance of interventions that consider unique differences by sex. Future research examining sex-specific factors associated with youth suicide is warranted.

Just seen some BBC News shite on Twitter of Prince fucking William and some footy players including Peter Crouch talking about how it's 'okay to cry'. 

Grinds my gears this shit. Being told by a man who lives in a fucking Castle that the key to good mental health is talking about it.

No it's not mate, it's being able to find early interventions but finding out instead that because your local NHS has given all of its money to you and your ilk, the best you can get is an online CBT course or a 'how to deal with anxiety' course which runs twice a year and involves - ironically - sitting in a room with 50 other people, most of whom are feeling anxious about sitting in a room with 50 other people. 

Footballers too, fucking hell, when was the last time one of them had to wait six fucking months to see a councillor who was probably still at fucking college?

Mental health - like everything in this country - is becoming 'trendified'. It'll be condensed into shite BBC3 shows featuring Stacey Dooley talking about her granddads's death, and workplace beanbag sessions, when in actual fact what's really needed is a mental health system that's fit for purpose, mental health charities that actually do something practical beyond merely hoovering up donations, and perhaps perchance even a redressed society/work balance  that doesn't pummel people every second of every fucking day until there's nothing left. 

Fucking haircuts for the homeless cocksuckers.  

• Upvote 6

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Just seen some BBC News shite on Twitter of Prince fucking William and some footy players including Peter Crouch talking about how it's 'okay to cry'. 

Grinds my gears this shit. Being told by a man who lives in a fucking Castle that the key to good mental health is talking about it.

No it's not mate, it's being able to find early interventions but finding out instead that because your local NHS has given all of its money to you and your ilk, the best you can get is an online CBT course or a 'how to deal with anxiety' course which runs twice a year and involves - ironically - sitting in a room with 50 other people, most of whom are feeling anxious about sitting in a room with 50 other people. 

Footballers too, fucking hell, when was the last time one of them had to wait six fucking months to see a councillor who was probably still at fucking college?

Mental health - like everything in this country - is becoming 'trendified'. It'll be condensed into shite BBC3 shows featuring Stacey Dooley talking about her granddads's death, and workplace beanbag sessions, when in actual fact what's really needed is a mental health system that's fit for purpose, mental health charities that actually do something practical beyond merely hoovering up donations, and perhaps perchance even a redressed society/work balance  that doesn't pummel people every second of every fucking day until there's nothing left. 

Whenever I see a 'documentary' on mental health or a project that's started by Prince William or the likes, I'm never surprised that it turns out to be a load of pointless fodder. There's one that's just come out on BBC called Anxiety and Me where the host goes to see a prof' at some University in London who is a psychotherapist. The whole thing is just backwards and relates her panic to some trauma in the past and then makes out that CBT is the way forward and that 'anxiety can be cured'. What?

I've been working in this field for a number of years now. I've seen the level of understanding the majority of GPs have around mental health and I've seen just how effective IAPT or higher intensity therapies are. For some, it works wonders, it helps identify areas of improvement, helps challenge their fears/weaknesses and even just give them space and time to get through a difficult patch. But you're always on the clock (6-8 sessions, 30m-2hr sessions and the therapist is always looking for your scores to drop to hit that recovery target) and your interaction will contribute to whether that service even exists the following year. Often the training is poor and therapists roles are diluted so they can bypass the training/money that's involved and hire some psychology graduate who is still understanding what CBT is. The turnover of those working in this field is high, you'll be lucky to have the same staff for 6-12 months and that's due to burn out, using the role as a stepping stone or the therapist developing their own mental health concerns.

I'm tiresome of the message of 'we need to talk' because it promotes the idea of sitting with a counsellor and talking about it all. It's the typical 'therapy' viewpoint which isn't suitable for all. If I'm struggling at work because my boss is a bellend, my workmates are great but someone is going above and beyond to get me sacked and I'm not sure I'm happy at home - how is confessing all that going to help? It'll connect the dots but most are already there in knocking what needs to happen but they're just so bogged down that it's impossible to even find the energy to start.

Mental health needs to move from this reactive, low funded, weakness-focused fucking mess and become a proactive, supportive and serious addition to our lives, our careers, our education and society. We'll be in the same situation in 50 years if we think that throwing money into this current system is going to work. It's breaking because it's trying to hold the water and not turn off the tap.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Spot on that.

To get the message across to the peasants they are using a sample group of 5 multi-millionaires and a future king. 

Mental health affects everybody no matter how much money you have but as you say, the resources they have available are far greater than the norm. Can't imagine Crouchy being put on a six month waiting list to speak to psychology student that's working a Saturday job at Dorothy Perkins.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

Spot on that.

To get the message across to the peasants they are using a sample group of 5 multi-millionaires and a future king. 

Mental health affects everybody no matter how much money you have but as you say, the resources they have available are far greater than the norm. Can't imagine Crouchy being put on a six month waiting list to speak to psychology student that's working a Saturday job at Dorothy Perkins.

Yep

My anxiety problems didn't come about because I was too busy 'manning up', they came about because of long term stress endured in a working environment none of these people will ever know, compounded by the fact the only help I could get were pills thrown at me by a GP who didn't understand or probably even care. 

It's such patronising bollocks. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep

My anxiety problems didn't come about because I was too busy 'manning up', they came about because of long term stress endured in a working environment none of these people will ever know, compounded by the fact the only help I could get were pills thrown at me by a GP who didn't understand or probably even care. 

It's such patronising bollocks. 

The problem is that GP's are expected to deal with every issue known to man, which is completely unreasonable. It's like asking a plumber how to lay bricks because he falls under the 'Tradesman' banner.

Ideally, you'd have a few clinical psychologists in every surgery to deal with mental health problems and GP's to deal with physical problems. Which is never going to happen, so it is what it is and the pharmaceutical industry must love it.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Elite said:

The problem is that GP's are expected to deal with every issue known to man, which is completely unreasonable. It's like asking a plumber how to lay bricks because he falls under the 'Tradesman' banner.

Ideally, you'd have a few clinical psychologists in every surgery to deal with mental health problems and GP's to deal with physical problems. Which is never going to happen, so it is what it is and the pharmaceutical industry must love it.

The amount of money and suffering that could be avoided if there was some kind of basic mental health care is ridiculous.

Say you or me felt the blues creeping in now where would we go or what would we do about it?

There's no roadmap, no service, no plan.

Both times I crashed I felt it coming for ages but there was nothing to be done. I felt I had to just hit bottom, take time off work, get some pills and start building myself up from scratch again knowing what a slog it was going to be.

There was nobody and nowhere to turn. Waits for counselling are months and by the time you go you're either better under your own steam or you're in bed sucking down certraline.

The likes of anxiety UK and all that mob are absolutely shite. In fact there needs to be a serious review of what mental health charities get paid for in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The amount of money and suffering that could be avoided if there was some kind of basic mental health care is ridiculous.

Say you or me felt the blues creeping in now where would we go or what would we do about it?

There's no roadmap, no service, no plan.

Both times I crashed I felt it coming for ages but there was nothing to be done. I felt I had to just hit bottom, take time off work, get some pills and start building myself up from scratch again knowing what a slog it was going to be.

There was nobody and nowhere to turn. Waits for counselling are months and by the time you go you're either better under your own steam or you're in bed sucking down certraline.

The likes of anxiety UK and all that mob are absolutely shite. In fact there needs to be a serious review of what mental health charities get paid for in my opinion.

The roadmap is currently this:

Depression/Anxiety > Self-refer/get a referral from your GP to an IAPT/psychological therapies > Book an assessment > Discover whether counselling or guided self-help is most appropriate > If counselling { consider options vs. waiting list vs. cost } / if GSH { consider etherapy as it's the quickest route to GSH vs. group-based therapy vs. 1:1 which is often a PWP who has had roughly 6 months training in GSH } > enter therapy. If counselling expect wait anywhere between a month to months.

If GSH { if no recovery after 6/8 sessions; review on 4-6th session and encourage step up to higher intensity therapy } > enter HIT/Step 3 > wait for about 6-9 months > repeat.

If no recovery at Step 3, refer to GP to assess further options.

• Upvote 1

I've suffered for years but I didn't know what was wrong.

Originally i thought something was wrong with me physically when I'd shake in certain situations.  I couldn't understand it at all.  So just cracked on for years trying to press through these situations. Bad idea.

They got worse & worse.  Had a few horrific panic attacks & went to the Dr - another big mistake in hindsight.

The problems being everyone seems to use the term 'mental health' as a buzz word.  It's just wrong.  If anyone thinks anxiety is similar to depression, well I'm sorry - they need reeducating. 

They are complete opposites.  Someone who is clinically depressed doesn't care and are down constantly.  They don't care about anything.  

Anxiety is the complete opposite of that.  Anxiety is fear, it occurs when the body is trying to protect yourself from danger. This might be heights, crowds - whatever the fear or fears you have - could be numerous ones.

Drs will merely give the patient (and I know through experience) medication for anxiety & depression. Someone who is clinically depressed, probably does need medication, I wouldn't know - I'm not depressed.  

I suffer from anxiety.  That can make people feel really down. Fear and think of awful situations.  Your mind goes out of control thinking situations which are highly unlikely "what if someone pushed me off that cliff", "What if I laughed during a funeral", "what is I didn't wash my hands after the toilet & someone got infected & died" etc etc... 

Your mind is constantly asking itself these "what if" questions.  This becomes worse and worse after coffee, alcohol etc.

The mind doesn't have paradoxical thoughts.  You can't be depressed & anxious - complete opposites.

So Drs give tablets.  "Take this for 6 weeks hopefully you see some improvement" - there range from things to lower the heart rate, ones that give you a lift etc.  Come back to see Dr after 6 weeks, no change.  OK I'll increase the dose, see you in 6 weeks.  Visit again after 6 weeks, OK let's try this different tablet.  The cycle continues, they'll probable refer you to CBT or see a psychiatrist (wrong again). 

As I said for depression it's probably the right thing to do, they need a lift, motivation, they need to care. 

For anxiety? Not helpful at all in most situations if the anxiety is really bad.  Usually they give adverse side effects - can't sleep, too much sleep, can't eat, want to eat too much etc etc.  It's actually just adding to your problems, not heloing anything apart from lowering the heart rate or giving you a lift.  Very unlikely the anxiety will be cured by doing that approach. 

I read it a lot (I have on this page) - I've been feeling depressed and anxious.  No no, you've been feeling anxious and it has been making you feel really down.  You are not clinically depressed it is very different.

I could go on and on - but I suspect some won't agree.  Trust me after 10+ years of trying numerous medication, hypnotherapy, meditation, CBT, herbal remedies, havening etc - you name it I've probably tried it. 

None of them are going to cure anxiety, most of them will make it worse.  That's not just personal experience either, it's science.  

• Upvote 1

To continue...

One of the worst things to deal with anxiety is to talk about it.

Which is why it annoys me on all these Mental Health adverts - 'we need to talk'

Yes you need to be honest if something isn't right.  Then the right action needs to be made to cure the problem.  So it's right to talk in that sense to accept something is wrong & something needs to change & how.

But in terms of trying to cure anxiety, talking about anxiety is the worst thing you can do.  Hence why seeing a Psychiatrist for example is wrong.

You're trying to tell your subconscious mind to term off the anxiety.  Constantly talking about how you feel, trying to find the causes of it - completely counter productive.  It just makes you feel more anxious.  

If someone is feeling clinically depressed, having thought about ending themselves etc - being a medication. seeing a psychiatrist clearly can help.  They need help, a lift, show why they're needed in life & to start caring again.

But with anxiety it's all about protecting yourself, hence the panic attacks, your body doing that.  Fearing bad situations might happen.  It's about caring too much & the mind going in overdrive.  That's when you feel down because of those "what if..." thoughts.  

20 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Different things work for different people. You can suffer from both depression and anxiety.

I'm sorry - but no! 

They are complete opposites. 

Anxiety can make you feel really down.  But you can't feel depressed & feel anxious.  The mind doesn't work like that.

4 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Sweeping generalisations ahoy.

This is why I haven't posted on this forum about this topic as you get these type of idiotic responses.

Apparently science is a sweeping statement. 

I won't bother trying to help people then.

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I'm sorry - but no! 

They are complete opposites. 

Anxiety can make you feel really down.  But you can't feel depressed & feel anxious.  The mind doesn't work like that.

There are people on here, Seasons etc., who are better qualified to talk about depression and anxiety than me. However, I suffered from both and have done for years.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

There are people on here, Seasons etc., who are better qualified to talk about depression and anxiety than me. However, I suffered from both and have done for years.

OK well if you believe that fair enough.

I clearly don't agree. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, LF:D said:

This is why I haven't posted on this forum about this topic as you get these type of idiotic responses.

Apparently science is a sweeping statement. 

I won't bother trying to help people then.

You truly are a fucking bellend.

• Upvote 1