You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your point? I'm not even sure Anny Road is saying that he is mentally unwell, the opposite, I think

I quoted earlier that there plenty of reasons for depression. I was just making the difference between being a bit depressed and depression. I wasnt criticising any posters, merely that those who are depressed should get help. I have full sympathy with those that suffer from depression. Hope thats cleared that up!

Have suffered from depression in the past but doing really well now.

Problem is, I had a case of the runs and have developed my first ever hemorrhoid. Painful bugger. My poor fucking hoop!

Anyone have these? What the fuck do I do about it?

Are you being serious? I never know with you. If you are, hemmorhoid cream is what you want, something like Anusol. Dont know how it works but it does (you're not pregnant, are you? Just explaining why I know about this sitcom ailment)

Had very sever postnatal depression, resulted in social services involvement for the younger kids and them being put on the register due to the risk of emotional harm on their development ect...

I was proper nuts, mind. I couldn't utter a sentence without counting every letter in every word and it ending on an even numbered letter, if it didn't i would keep talking until it did. Sleep just wasn't happening. I was suicidal, it was going to happen by either me throwing myself down the stairs onto the slate floor, or crashing into a wall. It had to look like an accident, for the kids sake. There was never more then a pack of paracetamol in the house and we had no knives at the time either. I self harmed, not in the usual cutting like most do, i would bang the back of my head (hair would cover any bruising) against the slate wall, loved the hot warming sensation if provided when i'd bashed it hard enough, the pain would stop me thinking momentarily.

I went on trycyclics, old school but it wasn't so much a mood stabilising drug i needed, it was something to stop the thought patterns from firing at the speed they were at and allowing me time to just stop and not think so to speak.

Sleep and actually getting some made a difference for me along with the meds, the days between the 'dark' days increased, and when i did have down days i recognised it for what it was, just a day and tomorrow may be better. I still have shit days, we all have shit days, i know they're not depression, they're just shit days. If things are taking too long to pick back up i'll stop and examine why. I find if i can pin point a reason it stops things spiraling out of control.

Chin up lovely, you'll get there. x

Fuck me, Sherry. That is one brave fucking post. Brought a tear to my eye, that.

Respect to the others who've discussed their experiences on here too. In my job I encounter loads of mental illness (some of the kids and parents have it too - ba-dum, tish!). As such I tend to see it as a particular pernicious medical illness rather some weird thing we don't talk about. OCD, bi-polar, depression, schizophrenia - all are absolute cunts that ruin lives. Maybe not quite up there with the uber-cunt of cancer, but only one step back I reckon.

Like Zig, I put it off via a cocktail of booze, nights out and gear.

Smack? Really?

Fuck me' date=' Sherry. That is one brave fucking post. Brought a tear to my eye, that.

Respect to the others who've discussed their experiences on here too. In my job I encounter loads of mental illness (some of the kids and parents have it too - ba-dum, tish!). As such I tend to see it as a particular pernicious medical illness rather some weird thing we don't talk about. OCD, bi-polar, depression, schizophrenia - all are absolute cunts that ruin lives. Maybe not quite up there with the uber-cunt of cancer, but only one step back I reckon.

Smack? Really?[/quote']

No mate not smack. Mostly recreational stuff. Soz, if I got my terminology skewed.

Too be honest, I rushed that part of the post and was inaccurate because I'm not overly comfortable talking about it openly on a forum.

Edited by RJ Fan club

Fuck me, Sherry. That is one brave fucking post. Brought a tear to my eye, that.

That was just a brief overview mate, 2002-2005 were pretty rough years. My ignorance towards medication made my illness last years instead of what could have easily been just months.

Too be honest, I rushed that part of the post and was inaccurate because I'm not overly comfortable talking about it openly on a forum.

I don't think i would have spoken so candidly had it not been so late, it's a big deal to speak out about an illness that so many people don't get. Credit where it's due for posting in the first place. x

Suffered in my twenties. Used to get uncontrollably tired in the afternoon also and on weekends / days off would waste hours sleeping during the day. I was tired but it took me away from life for a while also.

Kudos to those sharing their experiences here to benefit others. Don't know what caused mine, it lasted about 5 years. Still regress sometimes around this time of year.

Anyhow, if I feel down from now, I'll go read the rubber chicken thread. Fucking love me a good 'ole rubber chicken.

That was just a brief overview mate, 2002-2005 were pretty rough years. My ignorance towards medication made my illness last years instead of what could have easily been just months.

I don't think i would have spoken so candidly had it not been so late, it's a big deal to speak out about an illness that so many people don't get. Credit where it's due for posting in the first place. x

To be honest Sherry I have no issue talking openly about the depression I suffer(ed). In fact I'm happy to do so, especially if it helps someone in any small way. It's more the other issue of how it manifested itself or rather how I used to try and come to terms with it. I'm not really clear on which way round it was, but they I suppose it doesn't matter as that response doesn't play a part in my life anymore.

Some sobering stuff on this thread. I'm no expert but I think a lot of it stems from the way we live our lives now. Much is often made of the fact South European countries have lower suicide rates than in Northern Europea and it's usually put down to the weather, the sun etc, but I've always thought it's more to do with lifestyle. They put family, friends and basic enjoyment of the simple pleasures in life like food and drink above status, money and career. My mate lives in a hugely poor part of Madrid, he told me once 'we had a big water fight yesterday, everyone in the whole estate'. "Why?" "They just do it now and again."

For the last few months I've been comuting to work down the motorway, up at six in th dark - suck in traffic for an hour, hour and a half , home at half six in th dark - too tired to do anything, friends don't go out for the same reason, then, if I'm lucky, some kind of weekend blowout, and for what? Not for enough money so I can buy a house or save enough to start a business, but just so I can survive and 'get by'. It dawned on me that (a) this is how most people probably live and (b) it's pretty shit.

Barrett estates everywhere that look like they were shat out by The Borg, beige colour schemes, NEXT furniture, big TVs with reality shite on them, his and hers Andy Sugden jackets, chain pubs, Facebook, not knowing your neighbours, not having time to play with your kids, being estranged from your extended family, not having the security of long term work or a pension, charity shops where fairgrounds used to be. That's why everyone's fucking depressed. We weren't meant to live the way we live now.

You sound like Ray Liotta at the end of goodfellas, though due to the reasons you state them doc's reckon mental health problems are gonna rocket.. probably already have with all the people you read about doing their family in.. but I guess this happens in any economic depression.

Its the wealthy's way of culling its population alongside sending them to war. But seeing as thats largely computerised this is a back up plan.

Some sobering stuff on this thread. I'm no expert but I think a lot of it stems from the way we live our lives now. Much is often made of the fact South European countries have lower suicide rates than in Northern Europea and it's usually put down to the weather, the sun etc, but I've always thought it's more to do with lifestyle. They put family, friends and basic enjoyment of the simple pleasures in life like food and drink above status, money and career. My mate lives in a hugely poor part of Madrid, he told me once 'we had a big water fight yesterday, everyone in the whole estate'. "Why?" "They just do it now and again."

For the last few months I've been comuting to work down the motorway, up at six in th dark - suck in traffic for an hour, hour and a half , home at half six in th dark - too tired to do anything, friends don't go out for the same reason, then, if I'm lucky, some kind of weekend blowout, and for what? Not for enough money so I can buy a house or save enough to start a business, but just so I can survive and 'get by'. It dawned on me that (a) this is how most people probably live and (b) it's pretty shit.

Barrett estates everywhere that look like they were shat out by The Borg, beige colour schemes, NEXT furniture, big TVs with reality shite on them, his and hers Andy Sugden jackets, chain pubs, Facebook, not knowing your neighbours, not having time to play with your kids, being estranged from your extended family, not having the security of long term work or a pension, charity shops where fairgrounds used to be. That's why everyone's fucking depressed. We weren't meant to live the way we live now.

Excellent post. Nailed on.

Depression doesn't exist, it's just one of these made up medical explanations for why people feel sad. They normally feel sad because their life isn't everything they want it to be. I'd suggest the best way to get rid of 'depression' is to get your life a lot closer to the way that you would like it to be.

I think they should have an acronym for depression. They do for most other made up illnesses, like SAD, ADHD, ME, MS and AIDS.

I don't buy this idea that everything is worse now than it's ever been, there are just different pressures and stresses. At least depression is a more accepted condition both medically and socially. This is not trying to have a go at sufferers, merely that there have probably been equal or higher percentage of sufferers in the past.

Depression doesn't exist, it's just one of these made up medical explanations for why people feel sad. They normally feel sad because their life isn't everything they want it to be. I'd suggest the best way to get rid of 'depression' is to get your life a lot closer to the way that you would like it to be.

I think they should have an acronym for depression. They do for most other made up illnesses, like SAD, ADHD, ME, MS and AIDS.

I lead a life that most would kill for, earn far more than I need, love my job, sleep with beautiful women, see the world and generally have a great fucking life, but I'm afflicted, so your little theory is horseshit, try again Mr Unenlightend.

We weren't meant to live the way we live now.

While I actually agree with your comparison between how those in the med live and how we live, I don't agree with your summary. Blokes used to work down mines on long shifts and then go home to their 1 up 1 down overcrowded house (via the pub) and knock shit out of their missus. That was their lot, then they got to 55 and developed asbestosis, emphysema or cancer.

But yeah, give me the continental life style all day long!