You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/most-antidepressants-arent-helping-young-people-with-their-mental-health-say-experts-739127.html

Interesting research this.

I know some people do benefit from medication so I would never advocate avoiding it. It definitely works for thousands of people.

But from my own experience, when I was put on Seroxat it totally fucked me up, it really made me worse. I remember walking through a supermarket and then laughing uncontrollably. By the time I got home I was in tears and angry as fuck. I was up and down for the 6 weeks that I took them and contemplated suicide a number of times. When I decided to stop them myself, get out and exercise more and start to talk to people rather than keep it all in, I felt exponentially better. I don't think Seroxat is strictly in the same group as fluoxetine but still I think the point stands. These drugs are not for everyone.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/most-antidepressants-arent-helping-young-people-with-their-mental-health-say-experts-739127.html

Interesting research this.

I know some people do benefit from medication so I would never advocate avoiding it. It definitely works for thousands of people.

But from my own experience, when I was put on Seroxat it totally fucked me up, it really made me worse. I remember walking through a supermarket and then laughing uncontrollably. By the time I got home I was in tears and angry as fuck. I was up and down for the 6 weeks that I took them and contemplated suicide a number of times. When I decided to stop them myself, get out and exercise more and start to talk to people rather than keep it all in, I felt exponentially better. I don't think Seroxat is strictly in the same group as fluoxetine but still I think the point stands. These drugs are not for everyone.

I was put on Citalopram when I had my wobbler and beta blockers, it's hard to know if they worked or not, but I did slowly get better. I've been off the citalopram for the first time in about 18 months or so and have noticed some stuff. Libido deffo gone up, guts have been off and I do feel a wee bit spaced out, have seemed more irritible at times - such as when being stuck behind slow drivers, other than that though doesn't seem too bad. I think when you mess with the chemicals in your brain you've got to expect some shenanigans. 

The greatest treatment for depression is to be a moron. It's a shame there's not some real version of Recall where you could go and get your brain fried and come out thinking about rabbits and Nando's, if only for a day. 

• Upvote 1

I was put on Citalopram when I had my wobbler and beta blockers, it's hard to know if they worked or not, but I did slowly get better. I've been off the citalopram for the first time in about 18 months or so and have noticed some stuff. Libido deffo gone up, guts have been off and I do feel a wee bit spaced out, have seemed more irritible at times - such as when being stuck behind slow drivers, other than that though doesn't seem too bad. I think when you mess with the chemicals in your brain you've got to expect some shenanigans. 

The greatest treatment for depression is to be a moron. It's a shame there's not some real version of Recall where you could go and get your brain fried and come out thinking about rabbits and Nando's, if only for a day. 

Low IQ people have plenty of other difficulties though, like learning disorders and social problems. No party for them. 

Low IQ people have plenty of other difficulties though, like learning disorders and social problems. No party for them. 

Plenty of high IQ people do too though, Einstein had Asperger's and Branson is dyslexic. I think the dream would be to be like Craig Cash's character in The Royle Family for at least three days a week. 

I was put on Sertraline. Took them for almost a week and felt 10 times worse. Suicidal, as in literally planning how to do it. The absolute lowest I'veu ever been. Stopped taking them a few days ago and already feel a lot better. She may as well have prescribed me a bottle of gin and a hand grenade.

• Upvote 1

Feeling like absolute complete and utter shit. Anxious, demotivated, just waning to do fuck all. I'm getting by at work (just) but feel worse than I have ever done in my life. 

There are very real causes for a lot of this but the solutions are beyond my control.

Talking about it makes me worse - feelings of panic and physical tension. 

Don't want shit medication that makes me even more distant or euthymic. 

Just feel trapped 

Feeling like absolute complete and utter shit. Anxious, demotivated, just waning to do fuck all. I'm getting by at work (just) but feel worse than I have ever done in my life.

There are very real causes for a lot of this but the solutions are beyond my control.

Just feel trapped

Hang in there, mister. I don't know what the answer is but I do know it will pass. It will x

I know this is probably shit advice mate but do half hour of yoga every morning, increase your wanking allowance, eat loads of vegetables and healthy shit, drink loads of water, take up a hobby like a musical instrument or running or whatever you're interested in, do you have a missus/kids? If not, get yourself on tinder and bang some mucky slags.

Stop analysing things and start acting on impulse. Spend plenty of time outdoors, get a dog if the circumstances fit.

That shit might not solve your problems but it's all an ongoing process toward loving yourself. Just start with the easy things like excercise/nutrition and you'll see marked improvements soon enough.

Just feel trapped 

Happy to listen if you need me, pal.

Just feel trapped 

Have you considered any type of talk therapy pal? 

It's starting to feel like too much of a coincidence, the way the men of the forum are wilting mentally. Keep your chin up, RR, hope whatever it is that's causing you angst gets sorted out soon mate.

There's a metaphorical ominous cloud hanging over much of the world, a pervading stench of doom. I think a lot of people are feeling it. Subconsciously or otherwise.

People who want the world to be better and more just will find themselves depressed at one time or another. There's a greater chance of that developing into full-blown depression. Doubt there's as much depression amongst greedy Tories.

Just feel trapped

Got called away right in the middle of writing this, so may well be behind the ongoing conversation by now.

Know you said talking makes it worse mate, but have you explored all options within that, including an impartial counsellor/psychotherapist or the like?

Just wonder if, despite initially making you feel worse, it may ultimately help you see a plan for a more clear route forward, even if the outcomes of that aren't the ones you would choose for yourself.

And I wouldn't completely write off the medication, personally. There's likely one that will suit you much better than others, they've given plenty of people the short-term boost required to lift them out of debilitating stasis, even if the idea of longer-term use troubles you.

Often the issue is finding the drug you're best suited to, we're all different. I've known too many people not get on with one form of anti-depressant and just stop there, while facing dangerous ongoing symptoms, rather than doing what you would in most other instances, and continuing to search for the one which works best for you.

Drugs are rarely the whole answer in any form of illness or problem, but they can be an important part of one, especially as a nudge in the right direction when we find ourselves in a black hole of depression and aren't able to move forward.

You're a smart bloke and I'm sure you've considered/explored it all, just hard to watch someone feel there's no hope for a way out. There always is, even when you have to tie yourself to the mast while the storm blows itself out in the meanwhile.

People who want the world to be better and more just will find themselves depressed at one time or another. There's a greater chance of that developing into full-blown depression. Doubt there's as much depression amongst greedy Tories.

Is there nothing you won't steer back to your personal agenda? It's incredible.

RR fancy a night buying overpriced shots off huge breasted students?

Thanks for the suggestions

I think i know what the practical ways out are but they all involve making decisions that are unpalatable and will cause pain to other people.

Nights out involving booze and boobs may have helped get me in the situation I'm in. Can't afford to get out anyway.

Sorry this is all a bit narcissistic for me - thanks and see you later x

• Upvote 1

Ive never experienced anything close to depression, like Sec says I'm probably not intelligent enough, it sounds bloody awful though. How is it that the medication can sometimes make it worse ?is it trial and error? Sounds like some kind of prescription roulette. Wouldn't wish the illness on my worst enemy, heard some real horror stories. It's not something you get much sympathy for either is it? Still a prevailing "pull yourself together" attitude from much of society.