You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So I'm back to this thread again!!

I can't describe how low I'm feeling at present, it feels that no description will fit!

I know what it's down to! Money (I got paid today, a good wedge too yet I know I'm going to struggle to see the month out!), the time of year, the total lack of empathy by those who are supposedly in charge of things (ranging from work bosses to the government), and the general all round cuntishness of the human race!

I'm on treatment already and I'm taking my tablets daily like a good boy, but it's not making a positive difference anymore!

I've had enough!

I'm not looking for help or advice, I just needed a place to get it off my chest, as I think my wife and family have heard enough from me lately!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent!

yo. 

It's great you've began to seek some help; the best route to a cure is getting it out there in the open. I'd encourage you to keep speaking to people and it's great you've started talking to your wife about it. Without sounding patronising, well done; you'd be surprised how many people don't. 

Finance woes are awful to bear; I think there's a few of us here that have been through some degree of that. Right now, I think you need some form of small goal or a milestone because the smallest wins are just as important as the end goal. Have you been to speak to anyone regarding financial advice? They may be able to help you with some planning or suggestions to get you back on top form. 

Medication works for some and doesn't for others - it didn't for me and just made me feel emotionless and sleepless for awhile. If you'd like to change your medication, do speak to your doctor and when you do, ask for ways or advice to keep your mind off the clock. Would going for a walk with your wife tomorrow morning be a way to make the weekend a little brighter? What about heading out to a local free event or gathering? 

You'll get there mate, honestly - keep up the good work for now, the rewards will come. 

• Upvote 1

I've talked it over with the wife this morning, I'll give myself until the middle of next week to start pulling myself out of this funk, and if I don't I'll speak to the quack :)

I wont be sorry to see the back of 2015, I basically fell to pieces, triggered by the loss of my Mum but exacerbated by work stress, acted like an arse to everybody, alienated people friends and family alike and generally acted the cunt. I got some help, medicinal and pastoral, and with the help of my family I am on the up again. But I did leave it too long to get proper help and it got to Condition Critical before I did, and I am so lucky to still have what I have in many ways. Why wait till next week? 

It will get better. Hang in there. 

• Upvote 3

I've reached the stage were I can only see one way out, and the worst thing is that way looks really appealing at the moment!!

I have never been there myself but have someone close to me who I pretty much had to restrain from jumping off a bridge.

i am sure it is appealing as the hurt will stop but better days can be ahead. Keep talking mate.

I wont be sorry to see the back of 2015, I basically fell to pieces, triggered by the loss of my Mum but exacerbated by work stress, acted like an arse to everybody, alienated people friends and family alike and generally acted the cunt. I got some help, medicinal and pastoral, and with the help of my family I am on the up again. But I did leave it too long to get proper help and it got to Condition Critical before I did, and I am so lucky to still have what I have in many ways. Why wait till next week? 

It will get better. Hang in there.

Pastoral?

Not sure talking with sheep is the way to go.

• Upvote 1

I've reached the stage were I can only see one way out, and the worst thing is that way looks really appealing at the moment!!

Sorry for being a bit ranty, just a few small attempts to help you or anyone else going through a similar situation :

First thing : You should really try to remember that if you're seeing things that way, your awareness isn't working properly. I've had related problems several times over the years and I know that your awareness can just shut down in a big way, and almost all that's left at times is the crap. If you get through it though you look back and wonder how your mind was even in that place. Try to remind yourself that at some point in the future, you could be looking back with a big sense of relief that you didn't do anything daft.

Also : something that's hard but definitely worth it in some cases, is to try and step outside yourself and think of others, no matter how difficult it is. I know that it can be like "How can I think of others when I'm struggling to stay sane as it is?!" But one thing that's helped me more times than I can remember is a thought like this : "If I do anything to myself and don't get through this, all of the people that I could've helped in any way whatsoever in the future are left without that instantly."

It might seem stupid, but think about it : how can we have any idea of the capacity we have to help others in the future? We could even do something that we could see as insignificant, but to someone else it could be a lot more important, and it could even have a chain effect as that person then helps others in turn. There's loads of thoughts you can have related to this, but one of the main things is that it changes the whole perspective of the problem : it's no longer as much about yourself (and depression is often caused by having issues with the self, clearly.), and you get to look beyond that, even for an instant, to something bigger and greater than the problems you have. I know it might sound stupid/corny, but when you're really in a bad way, you sometimes have to try different ways of approaching it.

And : you're a lot stronger than you realize. If you feel completely stuck, obviously try and seek help, but also try to find something bigger and greater inside yourself too, because at the worst times you could be a lot closer to finding it than usual. If you do tap into that well enough (and I'm not being mystical, etc, it could just be a purer perception of your own will/strength, and so on.), it has the potential to move you out of depression almost instantly.

Last thing : look for negative patterns in behaviour, thoughts, and reactions. Try to break any pattern you see as negative (for instance, spending too much time on the internet, which could be sorted by doing something creative, watching a film, going for a walk, etc. Or attaching to a train of thoughts that trigger bad feelings.) Because the second you do that you're altering your mindset and allowing something new in. Altering some of those patterns can start to help you move away from what's caused depression, and/or understand what the reason(s) behind it is/are, or deal with that from a better perspective. This can take time, but the first good effects can arrive quickly. The struggle is sometimes to just start moving with something new, but it can be well worth it.

Here's hoping you recover asap anyway, from what at times can seem like an absolute nightmare, but one that can definitely pass if you endure and try getting out of the place you're currently in as much as possible.

• Upvote 10

Well in RP and Creator Supreme I'm always online when the majority won't be (due to time zones). If you ever want to vent or need someone to offload to, I'm here mate. You're thinking that your loved ones would be better off without you and all sorts of negative shit about yourself. Don't buddy. There's a boss lad your mind isn't letting you see; it's why people on here are only too happy to help and why your Mrs and kids, your family and mates all love you and would be absolutely devastated if anything happened. As someone whose lost good mates trust me, them not being here anymore did nothing other than detract from everyone they knew lives. RP is right, the love and help you can give to so many others in the future is something you can't begin to appreciate. If your kids or mates or family members ever get the same feelings you have now you'll be there to help - to tell them you understand and it gets better - rather than an example to follow if you do something that may seem tempting now, but is ultimately the height if selfishness. It's not your fault you feel like you do, you just need some help kidder. I'd also say you're a bigger man than you give yourself credit for, for having the guts to admit there is an issue and to seek help in the first place. Much love. Alex.

PS. Sending this on my phone as I'm out and so sorry for any typos. When I get in I'm changing my status from private so you can see when I'm on in case you fancy a chat. That offer goes for anyone and will of course be in the strictest confidence. I'm not a qualified psychologist or anything but I am happy to listen.

• Upvote 11

Speak to people about it, go to the doctors, vent on here if it helps.

I'm lucky in that I've never suffered proper depression, or at least i dont think I have, but what helped me when I was going through a bad time was exercise. Join a gym, set yourself some goals to lose weight, gain muscle or tone or fitness or whatever. Perhaps take up walking and get out into the countryside and get some fresh air and enjoy the scenery. Try and make it so that when you go to bed youre too tired to worry about things.

Appreciate the intention A Red, but what you've described isn't clinical depression. Even getting out of bed is a massive struggle for depressed people. There really needs to be a different phrase to describe clinical depression.

You're right of course, what i have had was probably just "feeling down" about some life issues and feeling depressed about them. I guess what I have prescribed is not a cure to depression rather things that can help against feeling depressed.

Getting professional help for proper depression is a must.

Lost my brother to depression and suicide, and have started the walk down that path myself a time or two.

This is a bit cheesy, a little contrived maybe, but parts of it - maybe just the overall concept- did speak to me.

The morning after I killed myself, I woke up.

I made myself breakfast in bed. I added salt and pepper to my eggs and used my toast for a cheese and bacon sandwich. I squeezed a grapefruit into a juice glass. I scraped the ashes from the frying pan and rinsed the butter off the counter. I washed the dishes and folded the towels.

The morning after I killed myself, I fell in love. Not with the boy down the street or the middle school principal. Not with the everyday jogger or the grocer who always left the avocados out of the bag. I fell in love with my mother and the way she sat on the floor of my room holding each rock from my collection in her palms until they grew dark with sweat. I fell in love with my father down at the river as he placed my note into a bottle and sent it into the current. With my brother who once believed in unicorns but who now sat in his desk at school trying desperately to believe I still existed.

The morning after I killed myself, I walked the dog. I watched the way her tail twitched when a bird flew by or how her pace quickened at the sight of a cat. I saw the empty space in her eyes when she reached a stick and turned around to greet me so we could play catch but saw nothing but sky in my place. I stood by as strangers stroked her muzzle and she wilted beneath their touch like she did once for mine.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to the neighbors’ yard where I left my footprints in concrete as a two year old and examined how they were already fading. I picked a few daylilies and pulled a few weeds and watched the elderly woman through her window as she read the paper with the news of my death. I saw her husband spit tobacco into the kitchen sink and bring her her daily medication.

The morning after I killed myself, I watched the sun come up. Each orange tree opened like a hand and the kid down the street pointed out a single red cloud to his mother.

The morning after I killed myself, I went back to that body in the morgue and tried to talk some sense into her. I told her about the avocados and the stepping stones, the river and her parents. I told her about the sunsets and the dog and the beach.

The morning after I killed myself, I tried to unkill myself, but couldn’t finish what I started.

By Meggie Royer

• Upvote 5

Don't do anything stupid CS. Get back to the docs.

Give yourself a break from the news and adverts on TV. The world can be a twat of a place, but if you focus on the little things that are close to you, then you will see all the good stuff more clearly.

Work wise, find yourself an old, redundant filing cabinet. There's nothing like punching and kicking the shit out of an old filing cabinet to work out those workplace frustrations!

Beg your GP for a psych referral. Even with an trauma psych nurse. Tell him you are suicidal. When you get that appointment and spend an hour or so with one of these professionals you will suddenly discover you are not a nutter but one of millions struggling to cope.

Nothing is cured overnight but with small steps and an accurate diagnosis you can make a start.

Thousands of blokes dont do this and the result is more often than not tragic.

I had to ask myself would I rather feel like a fanny and bear my soul to a stranger or leave my kids with no dad. Turns out I did not feel like a fanny at all but gained strength.

• Upvote 2

I fucked up majorly about 15 years ago and contemplated suicide for about 3 months. I look back now and wasn't depressed but looking for an easy way out and not wanting to deal with the aftermath so not in any way trying to preach to you CS.

However i will say one thing, I lost respect for myself for a long time after that but 2 very good friends asked me to be their best man within 3 years of it and I started to get my confidence back. The feeling of self worth returned slowly after that. I ran a sports team, i met my now wife who adores me, i got a good job and have lately been promoted to a management role there.

It gets better, it almost always gets better. RP is correct. You will be stronger for going through this. You will have a fantastic perspective on life and you can be a role model for people.

Do not give up. People rely on you now but even more will do so in the future and when they do and you are in a position to be there for them it will make you so happy.

One more thing, fuck money. I grew up in a single parent house with 3 siblings and we had fuck all. 2 years in a row i got 1 present for Xmas and it didnt work. So what? We had tonnes of love and were very fulfilled.

• Upvote 5