You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Sounds like the most natural reaction in the world. You'll be able to get over it mate but you might need to talk to someone. It could be a touch of PTSD, it's very common with medical experiences.

Yeah, I don't let it hold me back but it's the first thought when any part of my body aches/etc, whereas in the past I'd have never thought of clots. As you say it's very common to have anxiety post medical problems, probably happen to us all at some point. 

• 3 months later...

Caught me off-guard this morning. My sleeping been awful all week but I have knocked the ale on the head (only 8 days ago) after a pretty heavy 4/5 months. Not sure if its a reaction to that but fuck me I was in pieces about an hour ago. I've had to book the rest of the day off. Feel ok now which is weird, just tired. I don't want to get in bed though because I wont sleep tonight. Grrrr 

• Upvote 1

I brought this up in the "great documentaries" thread but i'm curious to know from others, is it just me that finds you swing from joy from just taking the dogs out on a long walk to tearing up over RSCPA adverts on the telly, once you voluntarily come off prozac or other anti-depressants? Decided to stop taking them at the start of the first lockdown period as i was feeling like a complete zombie (not feeling much joy or sorrow or anything really) but nine months down the line i'm pretty level for the most part but occasionally flit to getting quite emotional.  I think this is a good thing, its certainly better than not feeling anything at all.     

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Caught me off-guard this morning. My sleeping been awful all week but I have knocked the ale on the head (only 8 days ago) after a pretty heavy 4/5 months. Not sure if its a reaction to that but fuck me I was in pieces about an hour ago. I've had to book the rest of the day off. Feel ok now which is weird, just tired. I don't want to get in bed though because I wont sleep tonight. Grrrr 

Are you aware of how you sleep? Do you sleep on left/rights side of body or back or front?

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

On my side, usually on my right side like a foetus why? 

If you are actually sleeping on your shoulder, you are most likely putting all the pressure on one side of your upper body. This can result in hyper-tension on one side of your body. If you notice any pain/pressure on your right side, this will almost certainly be a result of how you sleep.

Depression can be massively assisted by tension/pressure/pain in the body even if you consciously don't feel it.

I used to sleep mostly on my left side and did so for years. Since I became aware of this I try and sleep on my back, or if I sleep on my side I try and prevent pressure on the shoulder. So just sleeping slightly to the right side. If you're in the foetus position you are almost certainly laying on your right shoulder. Even noiw after five minutes of laying on left side/shoulder I feel pretty numb in my shoulder. I stop immediately.

Try laying down in different positions today and notice after ten minutes whether you feel any pain or pressure. Problem when you're sleeping is you may not feel it.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

If you are actually sleeping on your shoulder, you are most likely putting all the pressure on one side of your upper body. This can result in hyper-tension on one side of your body. If you notice any pain/pressure on your right side, this will almost certainly be a result of how you sleep.

Depression can be massively assisted by tension/pressure/pain in the body even if you consciously don't feel it.

I used to sleep mostly on my left side and did so for years. Since I became aware of this I try and sleep on my back, or if I sleep on my side I try and prevent pressure on the shoulder. So just sleeping slightly to the right side. If you're in the foetus position you are almost certainly laying on your right shoulder. Even noiw after five minutes of laying on left side/shoulder I feel pretty numb in my shoulder. I stop immediately.

Try laying down in different positions today and notice after ten minutes whether you feel any pain or pressure. Problem when you're sleeping is you may not feel it.

I cant get comfy at all. Im constantly fidgeting and moving my pillow about. I did fall asleep on my back about 6 months ago and let like a log. I've tried since and just cant switch off. I'll give it another go later. if you are right mate and I even get an extra hours kip i'll let you tuck me in tomorrow night. 

15 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I had a bit of a breakdown last week. Woke up so sad. Still not right from my dad dying, plus redundancy meaning I'm now about to collapse financially. Plus this lockdown. 

Feeling a bit better over last few days

Fuck mate, that's hardly surprising as it's some bad shit you've had thrust on you.

Glad you're feeling better.

Thoughts are with you.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I had a bit of a breakdown last week. Woke up so sad. Still not right from my dad dying, plus redundancy meaning I'm now about to collapse financially. Plus this lockdown. 

Feeling a bit better over last few days

Hope you're ok, mate. You've probably heard all the advice from all angles but the best advice I can give you is to do something simple that makes you happy. Sometimes the simplest things can cheer you up. Not easy when faced with many challenges as you are currently facing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You'll have literally felt very little real emotion for those 4-5 months.   Drowning it all out and now it's all gonna slap you up in the face. 

It's all good, we're supposed to feel.  It's what makes us alive.   Ride it out without the booze for a few months and see where you are.  

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Probably not a reaction to stopping the ale. You've recently lost your mum mate. I can go a few week then something sets me off about my dad. Or something bad happens and then it all snowballs. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

How is everyone?

Not really a question that needs answering, just one that’s there to remind all of us that this community does care. It’s a special place (I’m well aware I didn’t always treat it as such).

You've atoned for your sins mate. You'll still get called a 'blogging cunt' in heated debate like.

• Upvote 2

On 08/10/2020 at 13:14, Section_31 said:

Yeah I never really had an opinion either way to be honest, I still don't fully understand depression as I don't 'think' I have it, not clinically. 

My mate has had anxiety for years and I always assumed it was a kind of nervousness, curtain twitching and worrying about going out, that kind of thing, didn't really realise until I got it that it's physical and chemical. Wouldn't wish a bad bout of anxiety on anyone. 

This resonated with me a lot. I suffered from anxiety for the first time in 2020 after taking a couple of courses of antibiotics and getting an adverse reaction to them. It lasted about 3 months and as you said I wouldn't have wished it on anyone. I remember thinking that breaking a limb etc. would be vastly superior as it least you can see an end to it whereas there was no marker as to when, and if, I'd be okay again. My thoughts go to everyone who has this as a recurring symptom as it's a bastard of a condition.

I actually wrote and recorded a song about it when I was on the mend as it helped me to get some perspective on it. Don't know how it feels for others but this is how it made me feel.

• Upvote 7