You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 20/09/2020 at 15:14, pauliescouse said:

Hi mate, I dont really want go into it on a publc forum but CBD really helped me after trying to top myself last year.

I tried Sensi Seeds where I get all my seeds from - wasnt so good with capsules - then Anthony Fowler with SupremeCBD. The pipette method with SupremeCBD was a game changer. Its a bit different as you put it on your tongue for 30 seconds, bit like acid. The 1500ml helped sleep and (it took a few days like) helped enormously with anxiety and depression. Message him direct on twitter if you're into it, dont order off the site, he gives a big discount direct mate.

Bloody hell mate sorry to hear that. Thanks for the contact. If I decide to go down that route I'll use him. Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

Does anyone else have a brain that actively seeks things to worry about? I rarely have a clear head as the second I do my mind thinks 'Ah peace. You know what though, fuck that shit. Here's something irrational to stress you out'.

When my head hits the pillow my brain literally opens up about 10 scenarios that don't even exist but are related to anything negative in my life and will not switch off. The mind is a fucking fucker. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Elite said:

Does anyone else have a brain that actively seeks things to worry about? I rarely have a clear head as the second I do my mind thinks 'Ah peace. You know what though, fuck that shit. Here's something irrational to stress you out'.

It is natural to an extent - each day we are faced with a series of tasks\problems that we need to solve, so once you have completed one task then it is natural to consider the next.

Anxiety disorder can make that difficult however - we worry about the things we need to do, we speculate negatively about what might happen - often believing the extreme, but highly unlikely scenarios - and we find it hard to relax because we feel we should be doing something.

Meditation really helps - it teaches you to control your thinking because it makes you good at mindfulness. It also shows you how wild your thinking is, which is a good first step - the ability to recognize your own anxiety when it arises is fundamental.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

It is natural to an extent - each day we are faced with a series of tasks\problems that we need to solve, so once you have completed one task then it is natural to consider the next.

Anxiety disorder can make that difficult however - we worry about the things we need to do, we speculate negatively about what might happen - often believing the extreme, but highly unlikely scenarios - and we find it hard to relax because we feel we should be doing something.

Meditation really helps - it teaches you to control your thinking because it makes you good at mindfulness. It also shows you how wild your thinking is, which is a good first step - the ability to recognize your own anxiety when it arises is fundamental.

I need to put the effort into it, I have a free app called Smiling Mind that has loads of guided meditations. I just get bored doing it but it really is a case if getting back what you put in.

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

I need to put the effort into it, I have a free app called Smiling Mind that has loads of guided meditations. I just get bored doing it but it really is a case if getting back what you put in.

It does help, but it's just one of a number of tools I use for anxiety management - I'll post more on other things I do tomorrow or this week. Meditation is essential for understanding how wild your brain is though - it's difficult to meditate even for just 10 seconds at first.

I don't use anything - just sit comfortably somewhere quiet, focus on my breathing and then pull my mind back as it bucks like a horse at a rodeo.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Champ said:

It sounds very like anxiety to me. The things that you are describing that are causing you stress sound like things over which you currently have no real control at the moment or into the foreseeable future. I don’t know if these are feelings you have experienced before. Have you got things that you do that help alleviate the stress? Exercise really helps as can mindfulness. There are some really helpful online sources of help too. And as a last resort, I take a low dose of an antidepressant that works really well for me. That may seem like a step too far at the moment but a discussion with your GP, if you can get one, may be worth considering

Yes I definitely hate having no control. I like to plan things to look forward reward to  and we can’t do that at the moment. 
I’m the sort who loves the planning of a holiday almost as much as the holiday!

I might try a mindfulness app thanks and I do finding going for a walk lifts my mood.

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Exactly that! I can be dog tired and as soon as my head hits the pillow my brain explodes!

• Upvote 1

Anxiety is basically a heightened sense of threat, so in a sense you're always going to be looking for fresh worries, as they're threats - emotionally and mentally.

You can get stressed about a headache thinking it might be a brain haemorrhage or something, because you're looking for danger. You may go into a pub or a restaurant and feel on edge or find your attention focusing on a loud table of people, as they're potential threats if it kicks off.

You might worry about your job or your house, because losing them would be a threat.

It's exhausting, but it's pretty normal when your anxiety is triggered. 

That's one thing where stuff like CBT could possibly help, because anxiety only lasts something like 45 minutes before it burns out, it's designed to get you away from danger (picture a wildebeest running away from a lion), it pumps all that adrenaline in and it burns it off by running away. 

With humans though we perpetuate that anxiety, so as that 45 minute cycle comes to an end, you do something that triggers it again (a thought or a worry) and the cycle kicks off again. Your body and mind isn't built for it though, which is why you get tired. If you're not fighting or flying though, all that adrenaline has nowhere to go and it seeps into your body, causing stuff like muscle tension.

The key to remember is that it's all just chemicals and there are ways to nip it in the bud, it's tough and takes practice, but it's very doable.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, suzy said:

Yes I definitely hate having no control. I like to plan things to look forward reward to  and we can’t do that at the moment. 
I’m the sort who loves the planning of a holiday almost as much as the holiday!

I might try a mindfulness app thanks and I do finding going for a walk lifts my mood.

God knows where that ‘reward’ came from after forward!! Another pain about phones, they’ve started putting random words in text now.

17 hours ago, Elite said:

I was listening to some bloke on youtube that said the brain is like a garden. If you leave it alone it can be overrun by negativity or in the case of a garden, weeds. It takes no effort whatsoever. If you work on your brain it will become positive or with a garden if you work on it, it can produce beautiful flowers.

I know what I meant

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

I was listening to some bloke on youtube that said the brain is like a garden. If you leave it alone it can be overrun by negativity or in the case of a garden, weeds. It takes no effort whatsoever. If you work on your brain it will become positive or with a garden if you work on it, it can produce beautiful flowers.

I know what I meant

I'm gonna start snorting compost then. 

39 minutes ago, A Red said:

I know what I meant

Wasn't Alan Titchmarsh was it?

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Ah, World Mental Health Day' is coming up. A chance for businesses the world over to pretend they care for a few days.

IMG-20201008-WA0002.jpg

Ha spot on.

When I was off with anxiety years ago my boss was trying to get rid of me. He was later laid off himself. Some bird who was apparently going on about me being off for two months with stress was herself a few years later off for six months with stress.

Mental health problems aren't real until they bite you on the arse.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ha spot on.

When I was off with anxiety years ago my boss was trying to get rid of me. He was later laid off himself. Some bird who was apparently going on about me being off for two months with stress was herself a few years later off for six months with stress.

Mental health problems aren't real until they bite you on the arse.

Too right. I never really doubted people were having a tough time but used to think to myself that they need to work on their mental resolve. How wrong I was. 

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Too right. I never really doubted people were having a tough time but used to think to myself that they need to work on their mental resolve. How wrong I was. 

Yeah I never really had an opinion either way to be honest, I still don't fully understand depression as I don't 'think' I have it, not clinically. 

My mate has had anxiety for years and I always assumed it was a kind of nervousness, curtain twitching and worrying about going out, that kind of thing, didn't really realise until I got it that it's physical and chemical. Wouldn't wish a bad bout of anxiety on anyone. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I never really had an opinion either way to be honest, I still don't fully understand depression as I don't 'think' I have it, not clinically. 

My mate has had anxiety for years and I always assumed it was a kind of nervousness, curtain twitching and worrying about going out, that kind of thing, didn't really realise until I got it that it's physical and chemical. Wouldn't wish a bad bout of anxiety on anyone

Agree with that , it's fucking horrible.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

My mate has had anxiety for years and I always assumed it was a kind of nervousness, curtain twitching and worrying about going out, that kind of thing, didn't really realise until I got it that it's physical and chemical. Wouldn't wish a bad bout of anxiety on anyone. 

It's like a constant feeling of impending doom. Every small problem or hurdle upcoming your head just blows completely out of proportion. 

• Upvote 1

The blood clots have had a big impact on my mental health. Every chest pain, muscle pain etc and I'm stressing about whether I'm going to die. I've spent many nights going to bed and thinking I might not wake up again.

I'm coping and the more I have the symptoms but am fine the day later, the more I am reassured but I'll probably battle this the rest of my life now. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

The blood clots have had a big impact on my mental health. Every chest pain, muscle pain etc and I'm stressing about whether I'm going to die. I've spent many nights going to bed and thinking I might not wake up again.

I'm coping and the more I have the symptoms but am fine the day later, the more I am reassured but I'll probably battle this the rest of my life now. 

Are these post covid clots?

Just now, Elite said:

Drinking not only helps you sleep but it thins the blood. 

the-best-kind-of-cheers-63144.gif

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sounds like the most natural reaction in the world. You'll be able to get over it mate but you might need to talk to someone. It could be a touch of PTSD, it's very common with medical experiences.

• Upvote 1