You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

58 minutes ago, elvis said:

How long does this stuff take to kick in?

I tried citalopram for a healthy phobia/anxiety and it made me worse - gave me some real panic type episodes almost immediately.

About 6 weeks but it does make you sleep like fuck especially when you first start it, I did a full 14hrs after my first dose.  Your anxiety might be worse at first but it settles once you're used to it.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I tried citalopram for a healthy phobia/anxiety and it made me worse - gave me some real panic type episodes almost immediately.

The usual timeline is 2 weeks initially to review, and then a course of treatment can be up to 6-12 months. It's worth stating that different SSRI's work for different people as do dosages. Additionally, medication helps to provide a more consistent baseline which can then enable people to review their coping strategies or seek professional help.

That said, discussion of medication and what may work for you should be something you consider speaking to your GP about.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Took about 10 days for me, but a few people I know who tried it said it made them worse. 

39 minutes ago, Elite said:

About 6 weeks but it does make you sleep like fuck especially when you first start it, I did a full 14hrs after my first dose.  Your anxiety might be worse at first but it settles once you're used to it.

Thanks , to be  honest I'm not even sure if am overly anxious or at the start of a deep depression. If I cant convince my wife otherwise , I'll be leaving my family and home of 15 years to go and live alone . At first I thought I could cope and even relished the alone time , but these last few days have been a living hell , the thought of waking up alone and going to bed alone is actually now terrifying me .

I wake up in the morning with such a feeling of dread for the day ahead , it's really distressing. Somehow I stumble through the day with a combination of walking and driving around , then early evening a few bottles of beer gives me some temporary respite until the next morning 

Never felt so low , even after the loss of both parents and a brother at far too young an age 

• Upvote 1

Exercise I find is really good to reduce the impact of anxiety, weights in particular. Weight training has been found to increase cortisol levels but they then come down to more normal levels,  and not the raised levels that can really cause anxiousness. It was a big help up to the gyms closing.

Also, whilst at home over the last 6 weeks, I've started the Wim Hoff method. The cold therapy is being avoided but the breath work  has been really helpful. Hunt down the guided breathing on YouTube and he's got an app too.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Took about 10 days for me, but a few people I know who tried it said it made them worse. 

My wife is on 20mg , and I honestly don't think it has made her less depressed although she reckons she can't get by without it 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Exercise I find is really good to reduce the impact of anxiety, weights in particular. Weight training has been found to increase cortisol levels but they then come down to more normal levels,  and not the raised levels that can really cause anxiousness. It was a big help up to the gyms closing.

Also, whilst at home over the last 6 weeks, I've started the Wim Hoff method. The cold therapy is being avoided but the breath work  has been really helpful. Hunt down the guided breathing on YouTube and he's got an app too.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

My wife is on 20mg , and I honestly don't think it has made her less depressed although she reckons she can't get by without it 

It's a tough one. Mine was for anxiety and it deffo helped take the edge off, especially in that initial phase. My own attitude to these types of pills is that in an ideal world they should just be short term. As I said earlier up the thread, the first phase of a bad anxiety break is shock, and when you're in that state there's not much that helps (you can't concentrate long enough to, say, talk to a therapist). The meds work well at bringing you out of that state, but after that I think more conventional methods are needed, exercise, hobbies, seeing friends, counselling if it helps. Easier said than done obviously. 

14 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Been feeling a bit more anxious than usual lately and yesterday afternoon started getting twinges in my chest, not really actual pain as such just a really uncomfortable like stabbing sensation in my heart area. Lasted all day right up until I fell asleep about 2am, took my blood pressure and heart rate multiple times and they were both absolutely fine and had no other symptoms of heart problems such as pain in my jaw and arm or dizziness etc... so pretty sure it’s anxiety related.

Woke up this morning and felt ok, went for a walk before and did about a mile feeling great then suddenly started feeling weird, not really sure how to explain it but felt like my blood was running cold and I was walking through water, like I needed a sugar boost or something. 

Got in and was ok for about an hour then the twinges in my chest started again. Had something similar about six years ago and ended up going to A&E in Aintree hospital and had a heart scan and they said everything was fine and put it down to anxiety/panic attacks but the more I get these twinges the more anxious I get and the longer it lasts. Obviously don’t want to go near a hospital at the minute so just going to keep an eye on things but it’s mad how much anxiety can affect you. 

Think I’m going to have to totally avoid the news and stuff for a day or two I think as I’m sure all the 24/7 saturation of Coronavirus coverage isn’t helping things. 

I've had a variety of physical symptoms of anxiety, off and on, pretty much every day since a health scare I had 3 full years ago now. It's made me a complete hypochondriac.

The question of whether there is actually something wrong with me physically and it's causing more anxiety or if the anxiety is causing the physical symptoms is the bane of my existence. Still have no idea. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've had a variety of physical symptoms of anxiety, off and on, pretty much every day since a health scare I had 3 full years ago now. It's made me a complete hypochondriac.

The question of whether there is actually something wrong with me physically and it's causing more anxiety or if the anxiety is causing the physical symptoms is the bane of my existence. Still have no idea. 

You should see a counselor mate, health anxiety is common and relatively very treatable. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

You should see a counselor mate, health anxiety is common and relatively very treatable. 

Already did, a couple years ago for a little while. Also tried Cymbalta (Duloxetine). Neither did much for me on their own and in conjunction. Was also prescribed Trintellix but I haven't taken it. I haven't tried "everything" but it's not something I've really been able to treat. Just been living with it. 

Second the exercise. I definitely helps me.

I'm fortunate enough to live 5 minutes from the countryside and do quite a bit of walking.

I find that once you get a rhythm going you just sort of sink into thinking of nothing and it really helps

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Already did, a couple years ago for a little while. Also tried Cymbalta (Duloxetine). Neither did much for me on their own and in conjunction. Was also prescribed Trintellix but I haven't taken it. I haven't tried "everything" but it's not something I've really been able to treat. Just been living with it. 

I wouldn't give up on counselling, they vary massively in quality and approach. I've seen about six over the last 18 years of so and it was only the last one I saw a couple of years back who made any headway (my physical panic symptoms disappeared and I still don't know how, i don't remember us discussing anything especially profound but he obviously knew his stuff. He was a proper psychologist though from Rodney Street, but only about sixty quid a session. He's emigrated now sadly (nothing to do with me I don't think) but you do get what you pay for. 

Lots of chancers in that world I reckon, people who've been to counselling, get told they're a 'good listener', do a short course then start offering it from their box room..

I'm on venlafaxine,  had no issues with it. 

Struggling with this lock down. I've drifted out of the gym anyway but obviously can't go at all now.

I'm over 14 stone now. Can't motivate myself to exercise consistently and diet. So with drinking twice a week ( and I put a lot away) I'm getting fatter. Vicious circle.

I'd love to cut down on the ale but that voice in my head is louder for having a beer.

I'm in the bizarre situation of having money ( from redundancy) time ( no job) yet I'm getting more depressed. 

11 hours ago, mattyq said:

Don't want to make you more anxious but it sounds like a bad case of Anxiety Aids

I had similar and the Doc prescrbed Sertraline which seems to have done the trick mostly. Was on citalopram but had the same side effects as everybody else

Do you get any side effects from Sertraline? My experience was weight gain which exacerbated my anxiety.

54 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Do you get any side effects from Sertraline? My experience was weight gain which exacerbated my anxiety.

Nothing too drastic 

I think I've lost a little bit of weight since I've been using it

These things are so specific to the individual 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 11:27, Tony Moanero said:

I'm currently in the process of switching from venlafaxine (been on that for about 11 years) to sertraline. Have to reduce the venlafaxine first though and I'm feeling ropey already even though it's only been a couple of days. 

Next few weeks are going to be a cunt.

My body has been fucked with it lately. I had an infection in my eye, then one on my arm, had stomach cramps a couple of weeks back, last couple of days I've had shooting pains down the side of my chest now and again. Pretty sure it's all anxiety symptoms as mine are pretty much always physical (I had burning skin on my legs a few weeks back too, what a party).

On 12/05/2020 at 13:06, Section_31 said:

Ha mate I'm the same. 

Last time I had a really bad bout of it (it's always simmering, but a couple of times I've had to take time off work) was about three/four years ago. I remember 'watching' two full seasons of Rome on telly and not remembering a single fucking thing from any of it. 

I actually started to play on my Playstation, which I virtually never do, I played Uncharted 4 and that seemed to help. I seemed to relax and just lose a couple of hours a day. 

Maybe work is the problem at the moment for you? In concert with everything that's going on. I took a week off a couple of weeks back for that very reason and just lounged, listened to some  tunes and watched some DVDs and it seemed to work a treat. 

Before all this kicked off I'd actually thought about getting into some stuff like fishing or canoeing or some shit, stuff designed to get me out but also distract/relax me. I have no other real hobbies or ways of relaxation, which is probably 75% of the problem. 

I think it is a good idea to try to find a hobby that you enjoy,something that you can focus on and be creative with. It would give you something to look forward too. Maybe meditation could be good for some people. Thing is the mind can really fuck you up and beat you down. Funny how it's you're own mind that instead of being on your side it tries to destroy you. 

When you're feeling down try to replace the negative thoughts with happy ones, focus on your loved ones and things that make you feel good. Easier said than done at first but it will help you. Works for me "sometimes" 

Look after and love yourselves people. 

Not sure who said recommended mirtzapine , but after some days from hell , massive anxiety attacks I spoke to my doctor and she put me on 15mg along with a beta blocker and wow what a difference it has made . 

Got my appetite back , sleeping better and feeling so much stronger. If my wife wasn't such an utter cunt at the moment things would be really good . 

Still have to find a place to live , decent enough to have my daughters over but no longer feeling as though the future is completely bleak as I was literally 4 or 5 days ago .

• Upvote 7

Just now, elvis said:

Not sure who said recommended mirtzapine , but after some days from hell , massive anxiety attacks I spoke to my doctor and she put me on 15mg along with a beta blocker and wow what a difference it has made . 

Got my appetite back , sleeping better and feeling so much stronger. If my wife wasn't such an utter cunt at the moment things would be really good . 

Still have to find a place to live , decent enough to have my daughters over but no longer feeling as though the future is completely bleak as I was literally 4 or 5 days ago .

I'll take the credit for that. Glad it's helped, I'm on 30mg and it proper levels me out.

22 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'll take the credit for that. Glad it's helped, I'm on 30mg and it proper levels me out.

Nice one mate , can't believe the difference after a few days , think the beta blocker really helps with the sudden feelings of doom also