You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've started taking Mirtazipine, due to the Dr saying that low mood/stress exacerbates physical pain, which I've had a lot with my back over the last 12 months, it is certainly helping me sleep and there's no sexual side effects either which is the major side effect I've found with anti-depressants.

Just now, Elite said:

I've started taking Mirtazipine, due to the Dr saying that low mood/stress exacerbates physical pain, which I've had a lot with my back over the last 12 months, it is certainly helping me sleep and there's no sexual side effects either which is the major side effect I've found with anti-depressants.

Glad you can still be a wanker mate. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Against every ounce of my will my ex made me go and see a doctor to talk. She could see I was shot to pieces but I would't admit it. Broke down the second I walked through the door with the doc. Half an hour bringing everything up and she signed me off for a month and prescribed me some. I was bad but a week later I was an absolute disgrace. Suicidal the lot. Hit the bottle big time and pretty much fucked my life up. Took a few of my mates organising a few drinks which was actually an invite for them all to sit me down and basically bollock the shit out of me to even remotely see any light. A few lads off here were a great help as well but i'm still struggling to get out of the mess I left behind. If I could go back I wouldn't have touched them. I'm not 'blaming' them outright as I obviously had issues but they certainly triggered a different, bad side of me. 

That said if they work for some then brilliant. 

Sometimes you have to get through the first few weeks and then things settle down. The ones you had must not have agreed with you though at all.

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Sometimes you have to get through the first few weeks and then things settle down. The ones you had must not have agreed with you though at all.

She diagnosed me sleeping tablets as well and by day 5 on the antidepressants I downed the whole lot of the sleeping tablets after a bottle of brandy sat next to my bed. Obviously thinking they might do the job. They didn't but I had a hell of a sleep. Proper scared me the next day though and I binned them. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

She diagnosed me sleeping tablets as well and by day 5 on the antidepressants I downed the whole lot of the sleeping tablets after a bottle of brandy sat next to my bed. Obviously thinking they might do the job. They didn't but I had a hell of a sleep. Proper scared me the next day though and I binned them. 

Could have been a lot worse doing shit like that but when you aren't in the right frame of mind sense goes out the window.

That's another of my mates who's gone down with it now and is off work again. Of our core group of four mates we've all had anxiety and/or depression over the last few years to the extent where we've been off work for a while. 

We've all come through the bouts of it and we help each other when needs be. But I think back to when we were younger, having fifa footy tournaments and sinking JD before a night out and how far away all this shit seemed back then, the whole idea of it would have been totally alien to us until we were well into our 30s. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Thursday 7th February it's another day designed to get people talking about mental health. 

This year’s Time to Talk Day is all about bringing together the right ingredients, to have a conversation about mental health. Whether that’s tea, biscuits and close friends or a room full of people challenging mental health stigma, we want you to get talking.

https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/get-involved/timetotalkday2019

Some shite promo about it: 

So, why am I posting this? 

Well, it's good to be aware of it for a start - it's good to talk as you've all experienced. It's also super important to read about others problems, chipping in when you can, or just to follow their story. There's been some wonderful support showcased in here and I'd like to say that you're all an amazing bunch of people. 

I'd like to pose a challenge to each and every member on this forum. That's to start a conversation with someone new. It doesn't matter who, it doesn't matter how, just spark up a conversation. Ask how their day has been, make them laugh, smile at them (not in a creepy way like). Do it from now until the end of 7th. The smallest effort can be the different between someone having a good day, or a lonely miserable day. 

I've started this already and tagged along to a local elderly meet up. I made them all tea, asked about their week and shared out some biscuits. It was brilliant and they all left with a smile plastered on their face. It took about 1 hour of my day and it'll no doubt keep them smiling for a day or two. 

It's quite scary that you can find out that your life has been influenced by a level of depression, anxiety and anger that you didn't actually recognise was there. The last couple of years I have been making some pretty erratic decisions which have certainly left me not in the ideal place that I would like to be. I have always been aware that I have had problems with the left side of my jaw but the last six months or so it has escalated to a point where at times the pain is unpredictable and unbearable. So I felt it was time to look into it now to see if at least SOMETHING could be done about it. I did go to the doctors a few years ago but they simply said firstly that everyone gets clicks in their jaws sometimes so just learn to deal with it. Then another doctor simply said that it was arthritis in the jaw therefore nothing can be done about it. The problem with advice like this from a position of authority is that you take it for what it is and there is no other answer.

Well, it seems like there could have been another answer all along. I recently discovered a condition abbreviated to TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) which causes extreme pain in the jaw joints, can result in severe depression, anxiety, anger, PTSD and even can result in suicide in extreme cases. It's a good job I have found out about it now as I feel as though it has been developing into an extreme case. So I looked online for more information and found a book called Taking Control of TMJ by Robert O Uppgaard, D.D.S. It's a 'Total Wellness Program for recovering from TMJ pain, Whiplash, Fibromyalgia and Related Disorders'.

It's a very interesting book as it gives a lot of information into the common causes of TMJ and common causes are dental work (tooth removal), whiplash, assaults especially effecting the face and neck, poor posture, high levels of stress resulting in teeth grinding or muscular tension especially from facial grimacing. All of these can then result in the skeleton and it's bindings all over the body being misaligned resulting in all kinds of muscular tensions throughout the body. This can then result in depression, anxiety and anger. It's worth noting that I had a tooth taken out on the upper left side of my mouth (I would call it the Dracula tooth!) and it was not replaced, I was also attacked as a young man getting off a bus which was punches and kicks to the face as I was knocked violently to the ground and had two closed black eyes and an bad injury to my nose (although it was not broken, luckily) and about 8 years ago I was involved in a heavy rear ender collision while on a drive with someone at a fast roundabout that result in severe whiplash. All these things would have contributed to the TMJ.

The book (which I am still reading) then gives a set of exercises to do mainly involving the jaw to help alleviate this pain and possibly eventually to eradicate it. As I am doing these exercises I am also trying to see where habits are (teeth grinding, slouching, sleeping on the side instead of back) which can then all cause it to restart.

In the space of about five days a lot of the depression, anxiety and especially anger has really lifted! I am noticing far less pain in my jaw (it could come back but I am maintaining the exercises) and I am enjoying learning about the trigger points in the body that are likely to cause the negative emotions in the first place.

Perhaps it could work for others, so I thought I would post a link to the book just in case it may offer any assistance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taking-Control-TMJ-Temporomandibular-Fibromyalgia/dp/1572241268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548351807&sr=8-1&keywords=taking+control+of+tmj

51YhCKXEtvL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's been 15 years since I went to the doctor regarding a severe upsurge in anxiety/depression but this morning it had to be done. Fluoxetine has been prescribed for 28 days, although the doc said it could result in an increase in anxiety initially. Not looking forward to that.

Lots of things happening over the last six months and it just all came in last week. Jaw is a lot better but it may have opened up lots of feelings/thoughts that may have been held on to.

I'm not a huge fan of taking meds for it but needs must, hopefully they give some assistance as I try and sort out the things that have played a part in causing it to happen. 

Anxiety is a vicious little urchin.

I'm in purgatory at the moment. 

I'm stressed out and I know why, how and what the contributors are but I can't seem to catch up. There's the therapist voice in my head that's debunking all my excuses but deep down I know it's all time-based and my problems will phase out gradually. 

If it continues as it is currently, I'll head to the GP and try and get some time off work. For now, I think I just need to count down the days until A, a new job appears and B, my annual leave/holiday. I love working in mental health but the conditions I have work within promote terrible wellbeing. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Seasons said:

I'm in purgatory at the moment. 

I'm stressed out and I know why, how and what the contributors are but I can't seem to catch up. There's the therapist voice in my head that's debunking all my excuses but deep down I know it's all time-based and my problems will phase out gradually. 

If it continues as it is currently, I'll head to the GP and try and get some time off work. For now, I think I just need to count down the days until A, a new job appears and B, my annual leave/holiday. I love working in mental health but the conditions I have work within promote terrible wellbeing. 

Hope you feel better mate you've been a tremendous help to people on here.

I know counsellors often have counselling themselves to unload, is that something you do?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hope you feel better mate you've been a tremendous help to people on here.

I know counsellors often have counselling themselves to unload, is that something you do?

Cheers mate, I've just overworked myself at the end of the day. I've been trying to push the service into the community more of late. I wanted to really make a stamp on mental health, spent my weekends researching, attending events and ended up putting together a plan of how we'd make the place I work in the best in the country for MH. It ended up in my wages getting docked, getting questioned as to why I was working in my weekends and essentially the plan getting chucked in the bin. It's just really disheartening and a little crushing having really taken that extra care and attention. 

Counselling isn't really something that would help. I'd need CBT but I know all the strategies and I know where I'm going wrong it's just something that's refusing to entertain my own advice. I guess it's the nature of stress: work hard -> not good enough -> work hard -> neglect other things -> work harder -> break down. 

I need another employer is the bottom line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

It's a year since her dad died tomorrow, please tell me things get better after the first anniversary as I hate to see her like this.

On the surface things get better but she'll always be thinking about him

Mic lost her mum 7 years ago, still wants to talk to her all the time

• Upvote 1

It gets easier to deal with Stronts.

The first year is a bastard as it’s replete with constant “firsts” and therefore endless painful reminders, especially the anniversary.

It doesn’t go away of course, but it does gradually become less raw and is easier to live with as happier memories of the person start to again compete for floor space.

• Upvote 2