You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 5 weeks later...

You need something to work towards that affects your environment and status and you need someone or group of people to look down upon to alleviate feelings of inferiority. Without these things you will get depressed. That's what I've learnt from over a decade of therapy. Saved you all a load of money.

21 minutes ago, Hades said:

You need something to work towards that affects your environment and status and you need someone or group of people to look down upon to alleviate feelings of inferiority. Without these things you will get depressed. That's what I've learnt from over a decade of therapy. Saved you all a load of money.

Was the name of your therapist Adolf? 

30 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Was the name of your therapist Adolf? 

Most mentally ill person has too much empathy and most "healthy" people have little empathy. Evil psychological coping mechanisms are the only way we can survive reality, hence reality is evil.

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

Most mentally ill person has too much empathy and most "healthy" people have little empathy. Evil psychological coping mechanisms are the only way we can survive reality, hence reality is evil.

I don't agree with the extremes but I do get your point. Most people are cunts, just drive around town, or go on a night out you'll see fucking loads. It's the same in the workplace, you get on better by being a cunt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elite said:

I don't agree with the extremes but I do get your point. Most people are cunts, just drive around town, or go on a night out you'll see fucking loads. It's the same in the workplace, you get on better by being a cunt. 

You get on best by being good and helping others get better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Not always. It depends on the environment of certain workplaces and what they value most.

I think the ket there is to try and get out of those jobs mate. My old job partly made me ill even though it was laid back and easy, because it's value system was so divorced from mine (online retail and fashion filled by people you'd imagine like working somewhere like that?)

Where I work makes me laugh. We have all these national mental health days and awareness sessions as well as mindfulness meetings. All well and good and looks like a caring employer. But then we get a shite below inflation pay rise and each year the management chip away at your employment rights. Any type of thing they don't legally have to give you they will take from you and make the workplace as difficult as possible. 

People have anxiety over money problems and worry about taking sick days when genuinely Ill and no amount of sitting round in a tick box exercise group will stop that.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Hades said:

Hades' summary of CBT: 

• Change your environment/status; 
  • Surround yourself with idiots;
  • If you're depressed, go back to the first point. 

You need to change your therapist mate. 

12 hours ago, Elite said:

Disagree with everything you've stated here. You cannot apply your experience to every population or scenario. For example, I've driven around town and I've not identified any 'cunts', I went out last night and had a blast, again, did not see anyone I'd describe as a 'cunt' and my workplace is lovely. 

12 hours ago, Hades said:

Can you give me the research paper that you've taking empathy measure from? I'd also appreciate the negative empathy = success paper too, please. 

On 9/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, rubble-rouser said:

Was it amitrypiline? That is used as a mild antidepressant and for pain relief. 

I have no idea whether it is addictive?

Not addictive but needs to be built up to be the most effective the pain doctor told me. As it gives me bad stomach cramps I refuse to take more than one at night as it helps with sleep.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Disagree with everything you've stated here. You cannot apply your experience to every population or scenario. For example, I've driven around town and I've not identified any 'cunts', I went out last night and had a blast, again, did not see anyone I'd describe as a 'cunt' and my workplace is lovely. 

13-everything-is-awesom.w700.h700.jpg

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think the ket there is to try and get out of those jobs mate. My old job partly made me ill even though it was laid back and easy, because it's value system was so divorced from mine (online retail and fashion filled by people you'd imagine like working somewhere like that?)

My company now are sound, they leave you to get on with things and give you credit.

I've worked in other places, which where breeding grounds for one-upmanship.

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Where I work makes me laugh. We have all these national mental health days and awareness sessions as well as mindfulness meetings. All well and good and looks like a caring employer. But then we get a shite below inflation pay rise and each year the management chip away at your employment rights. Any type of thing they don't legally have to give you they will take from you and make the workplace as difficult as possible. 

People have anxiety over money problems and worry about taking sick days when genuinely Ill and no amount of sitting round in a tick box exercise group will stop that.

Same in my work, sickening thing is a fair amount of the workers in there help the company do it!

Turkeys voting for Christmas!

On 10/21/2018 at 7:21 AM, Seasons said:

Hades' summary of CBT: 

• Change your environment/status; 
  • Surround yourself with idiots;
  • If you're depressed, go back to the first point. 

You need to change your therapist mate. 

Can you give me the research paper that you've taking empathy measure from? I'd also appreciate the negative empathy = success paper too, please. 

There's no free will. We're vicious animals and almost everything we do is a rationalisation for getting one up on somebody else or justifying our own status. All coping mechanisms are just aesthetics to give dignity (a concept that furthers procreation) to suffering. Christianity's outward coping, Buddhism's inward coping eg. maybe god is something outside of this universe and all the horrendous suffering in this universe is a blessing, a part of a greater meaning (psychological reframing).

The empathy points come from my own experience with meditation and Paul Bloom's work at Yale.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:43 AM, Hades said:

On 10/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, Hades said:

46 minutes ago, Hades said:

There's no free will. We're vicious animals and almost everything we do is a rationalisation for getting one up on somebody else or justifying our own status. All coping mechanisms are just aesthetics to give dignity (a concept that furthers procreation) to suffering. Christianity's outward coping, Buddhism's inward coping eg. maybe god is something outside of this universe and all the horrendous suffering in this universe is a blessing, a part of a greater meaning (psychological reframing).

The empathy points come from my own experience with meditation and Paul Bloom's work at Yale.

It's like you've tried to argue the point of low self-esteem vs. anxiety and then stopped yourself due to the absence of abstract thinking. Then, to throw a curve ball or 'alternative view' you've brought in social psychology (justification of group behaviour), philosophy (purpose of life) and religion (values/idealism). 

As for the Paul Bloom's acknowledgement, a hyper-rationalist, I'd be interested to your additional reading behind this as it's widely known that although well-researched his recent work focuses on the bias and manipulation of empathy and overlooks the benefits of empathy.