You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What you on mate?

I have really bad Sciatica and got to be honest, Tramadol chills me out more than any anti-depressant.

Being on Co-codamol puts me into a brilliant mood, wish I could feel like that all the time.

Chilled out, and lively/chatty at the same time. No depression or anxiety whatsoever. Great stuff.

Dangerous thinking though, I'd be on the smack within a month if I tried taking it consistently.

Being on Co-codamol puts me into a brilliant mood, wish I could feel like that all the time.

Chilled out, and lively/chatty at the same time. No depression or anxiety whatsoever. Great stuff.

Dangerous thinking though, I'd be on the smack within a month if I tried taking it consistently.

Even prescription Codeine doesn't touch me any more. Tramadol does the trick but I only take it when necessary as it's a dangerous habit once you start.

Even prescription Codeine doesn't touch me any more. Tramadol does the trick but I only take it when necessary as it's a dangerous habit once you start.

Prescription Codeine is great as long as you take five instead of the recommended dosage of two. There’s also less chance of you getting addicted if you smash them all a couple of weeks before the doctor will give you any more.

• Upvote 1

Prescription Codeine is great as long as you take five instead of the recommended dosage of two. There’s also less chance of you getting addicted if you smash them all a couple of weeks before the doctor will give you any more.

Washed down with a few pints.

• 2 weeks later...

Been prescribed ciltalopram 10mg for health anxiety/phobia that i've struggled with for years - i'm worried that it may make me worse after reading that anxiety can be a side affect when taking as an antidepressant .

Any thoughts as to what I can expect ?

Been prescribed ciltalopram 10mg for health anxiety/phobia that i've struggled with for years - i'm worried that it may make me worse after reading that anxiety can be a side affect when taking as an antidepressant .

I'm on them mate but for anxiety/panic, I swear by them personally but everyone is different.

Have you considered CBT/counselling instead or as well as? I find with things like health anxieties and phobias talk therapy and rational reasoning is a good way out, whereas meds are good when it's just your overall 'state' that's the problem.

I'm on 20mg and feel alright. No noticeable side effects.

It's not a cure, and doesn't make me happy, but it means I have less bad days and negative thought patterns.

That’s the anxiety talking again *smiley*

Like the others, it dealt with my anxiety symptoms almost immediately...and I’m assuming you’ve been told that if you see no improvement/things seem worse go back to your doctor...it might just require a stronger dose, even temporarily.

Fingers crossed

Like the others, it dealt with my anxiety symptoms almost immediately...and I’m assuming you’ve been told that if you see no improvement/things seem worse go back to your doctor...it might just require a stronger dose, even temporarily.

Fingers crossed

Yep, I'm surprised it's 10mg, I think that will barely touch the sides - so I've been  told.

I'm on them mate but for anxiety/panic, I swear by them personally but everyone is different.

Have you considered CBT/counselling instead or as well as? I find with things like health anxieties and phobias talk therapy and rational reasoning is a good way out, whereas meds are good when it's just your overall 'state' that's the problem.

I have been under a psychologist since january , had i think 10 sessions , she touched on CBT and a lot of what she said made sense , but I just can't shake of the horrible way I feel when faced with the smallest health issues surrounding my daughter . 

I drink more , and really don't want to get up in the mornings and this will stay with me until a diagnosis (hopefully) puts me at ease .

I've struggled with this on and off for nearly 30 years when my mother died so it's fairly deep rooted 

I have a struggling marriage at the moment which doesn't help either 

Fingers crossed

Thanks , my worry is I'm starting  a medication that for the vast majority of the time i don't think I need , as a rule I'm not an anxious person regarding every day stuff it's just this one intermittent phobia 

By the way , what dose did you start with if you don't mind me asking ?

I was on Venlafaxine for years as I am very highly strung and have irrational anxieties (though my general disposition is very calm and relaxed). I've been off Venlafaxine now for 8 months and although I am coping, I do miss the feeling of being 'levelled out' by the meds but I stopped due to side effects.

I've been on 187.5mg of venlafaxine for about 6 years now.

Yep, I'm surprised it's 10mg, I think that will barely touch the sides - so I've been  told.

Quite a common starting dosage.

Elvis, here's some information around health anxiety - https://web.ntw.nhs.uk/selfhelp/

Citalopram does a job for me but hasn't improved my mood as such, it just calmed my body down to the point where I could live relatively normally.

One of the features of dealing with the NHS in these circumstances is that if they think you're coping they leave you to it, rather than trying to improve you still further to the point where you can come off the meds.

• Upvote 1

Citalopram does a job for me but hasn't improved my mood as such, it just calmed my body down to the point where I could live relatively normally.

One of the features of dealing with the NHS in these circumstances is that if they think you're coping they leave you to it, rather than trying to improve you still further to the point where you can come off the meds.

Can't blame them really. Many people come off the meds when they're not ready and end up having a torrid few weeks where problems resurface and then have go back on them. When I decided to come off them I was in a very good place and had not many external triggers (Such as stress at work, etc).

I am fairly comfortable now but that's not to say I won't need meds in the future.