You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The thing that blows my mind about mental health in this country is the number of children who have major issues with it and yet are rarely treated and/or wait six months of more for an initial assessment.

When I worked in the secondary school  it was appalling. We had no qualified councilor, No youth outreach worker and the mental health workers were shuffled in and out. Would you talk to a different mental health worker every time you felt depressed or were having an episode. 

And the last one was hitting on the girls he was supposedly helping...you cannot make it up. The solution from the Government was to not renew his contract and they would get around to starting an investigation but the position that normally does that is unfilled.

This is in a community that suffers 2-3 youth suicides a year. Out of a population of 1800. In my 10 or so years there I have personally taught and coached at least a dozen young Inuit who took their own lives. Shocking stuff but the government is paralyzed by incompetance and denial. 

It takes money and spending money on mental health in the eyes of politicians is not a return on investment for them. They want to spend money on roads, infrastructure, funneling money back to their backers, etc. It took the Territory of Nunavut ten years to  come up with a suicide prevention strategy...just come up with one, not actually implement it. The territory averages 30-40 suicides a year out of a population of 30,000. 

And those are just the youth in severe crisis; not even the kids who have anger issues, bipolar, depression, and have suffered abuse.

If you get a bad pneumonia the government will medevac you out at a cost of 35,000$.  If you say 'I am going to off myself" the RCMP come and throw you in a cell, you get a visit from a nurse and as soon as you say I won't hurt myself or I will talk to my family they release you.

As society becomes more individualistic and stratified into those that have and those that don't, and as workplaces become more about spreadsheets, and governments cut funding to social programs but keep tax incentives to corporations, mental health issues are only going to explode.

I know in Canada booze sales and addictions to drugs like fentanyl are climbing upwards at a shocking rate. A correlation or just an anomaly? I don't think so. We dealt with the OxyCotin crisis by banning it and now people are turning to fentanyl.

• Upvote 1

My little nephew was referred to CAMHS. He has to wait months to see anyone. He has tried to take his life twice whilst waiting, though im hoping these were more a cry for help and desperation rather than genuine attempts.

Have a look around at some charities mate. There's one called Young Minds and also Barnardo's deal with mental health too.

Should also add that quite a few private counsellors will offer concessions as well. While I wasn't working I managed to find a really good one who was only charging me £15 a session. The problem is that if you are feeling unmotivated in the first place it can be difficult to ask for it.

Once I'm qualified in six months or so though, that is definitely something I will be doing.

Was discussing depression and anxiety with work colleagues today and have never come across such a lack of empathy in all my life. These people have obviously never been affected and think it's just something you can snap out of. Joking about it and saying how terrible it is that people can't deal with it and change the way they view the world. One of the biggest repellents for me in other people is a lack of empathy. Fuckin disgusts me.

My little nephew was referred to CAMHS. He has to wait months to see anyone. He has tried to take his life twice whilst waiting, though im hoping these were more a cry for help and desperation rather than genuine attempts.

Yep. CAMHS take six months minimum for a first appointment round here. Think of that as a proportion of a child's life!

Have a look around at some charities mate. There's one called Young Minds and also Barnardo's deal with mental health too.

It's very hard to access the charities though. They have labyrinthine referral processes and long waiting lists.

Was discussing depression and anxiety with work colleagues today and have never come across such a lack of empathy in all my life. These people have obviously never been affected and think it's just something you can snap out of. Joking about it and saying how terrible it is that people can't deal with it and change the way they view the world. One of the biggest repellents for me in other people is a lack of empathy. Fuckin disgusts me.

Ginny knows.

Guest Pistonbroke

I reckon these people show little empathy to any disorder unless they themselves will suffer a personnel experience, then watch the fuckers change their mind. Common sense tells you that we are all susceptible to depression, alcoholism, gambling etc etc. The human mind is a very complicated thing yet these knobbers (normally young and healthy people) think they know it better than anyone else and truly believe they will never suffer from one addiction or more.

I drink shit loads, because I like it. I guess growing up in the North and then joining the Army just led me into enjoying getting rat arsed whenever it took my fancy. I can go weeks without a drink and I normally only drink of a weekend, but it could only take a bad experience or the loss of a loved one and maybe that drinking habit could consume my life.

I love a bet but only for fun to while away the hours whilst watching sport, I have also been lucky enough to land a few big wins for the sake of a few Euros. I do however realise that gambling is an addiction as the thrill of a win is what people chase, if you need money desperately for whatever reason it could easily become a bad addiction which spirals out of control. 

I've always been a hard worker and given my best for my employer, I realised long ago that a lot of people are not that way inclined and try to get by on the hard work of others, but I thought, fuck em, I'm being paid a decent wage so I'll give my best. Trouble is it was getting harder, the younger people these days are truly fucking driven by their own personnel crap on social media etc that trying to run a good section old School was just impossible. I thought fuck this! I was getting close to burn out syndrome or smacking some cunt, so I binned it all and retired early. Lost out on a good % of my actual state pension, but the missus earns decent dosh and I have military pension and a personal one which I can cash in on when I turn 55 in 3 and a half years time. I've still dipped out on a shit load of money if I had worked until my normal retirement age but you can't spend it if you are fucking dead. 

My point. Fuck all those cunts who think they are indestructible, I bet they all carry a few burdens and think not giving a fuck about others hides their own troubles. We all have troubles in one way or another, anyone who thinks they don't is either a liar or an absolute cunt. 

I watched that Stephen Fry thing last night. Some of the shit people with serious mental health issues deal with is both awful and tragic. It's deffo a good thing that it's becoming more widely discussed and that it's moving up the political agenda though.

And yet as much as that cunt Cameron wants to bang on about it funding is being cut.

I reckon these people show little empathy to any disorder unless they themselves will suffer a personnel experience, then watch the fuckers change their mind. Common sense tells you that we are all susceptible to depression, alcoholism, gambling etc etc. The human mind is a very complicated thing yet these knobbers (normally young and healthy people) think they know it better than anyone else and truly believe they will never suffer from one addiction or more.

I drink shit loads, because I like it. I guess growing up in the North and then joining the Army just led me into enjoying getting rat arsed whenever it took my fancy. I can go weeks without a drink and I normally only drink of a weekend, but it could only take a bad experience or the loss of a loved one and maybe that drinking habit could consume my life.

I love a bet but only for fun to while away the hours whilst watching sport, I have also been lucky enough to land a few big wins for the sake of a few Euros. I do however realise that gambling is an addiction as the thrill of a win is what people chase, if you need money desperately for whatever reason it could easily become a bad addiction which spirals out of control. 

I've always been a hard worker and given my best for my employer, I realised long ago that a lot of people are not that way inclined and try to get by on the hard work of others, but I thought, fuck em, I'm being paid a decent wage so I'll give my best. Trouble is it was getting harder, the younger people these days are truly fucking driven by their own personnel crap on social media etc that trying to run a good section old School was just impossible. I thought fuck this! I was getting close to burn out syndrome or smacking some cunt, so I binned it all and retired early. Lost out on a good % of my actual state pension, but the missus earns decent dosh and I have military pension and a personal one which I can cash in on when I turn 55 in 3 and a half years time. I've still dipped out on a shit load of money if I had worked until my normal retirement age but you can't spend it if you are fucking dead. 

My point. Fuck all those cunts who think they are indestructible, I bet they all carry a few burdens and think not giving a fuck about others hides their own troubles. We all have troubles in one way or another, anyone who thinks they don't is either a liar or an absolute cunt. 

I think a lot of people misunderstand depression and anxiety because it's not talked about. 

My mate had had long term anxiety and I always assumed it meant you were anxious, i.e you looked out the front door some mornings and thought 'don't fancy that' and went back inside. I didn't realise until I had it that it's actually a chemical state. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I think a lot of people misunderstand depression and anxiety because it's not talked about. 

My mate had had long term anxiety and I always assumed it meant you were anxious, i.e you looked out the front door some mornings and thought 'don't fancy that' and went back inside. I didn't realise until I had it that it's actually a chemical state. 

Yeah, the mind is very complex. The brain has billions of neurons which each sending electrical impulses which in turn send chemical messages to the next cell, each neuron can be connected to thousands of others all sending and receiving impulses. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that such a complex system has a high risk of something going wrong due to traumatic circumstances. I believe the National Academy of Scientists estimated that a single human brain has a greater number of possible connections amongst it nerve cells than the total number of atomic particles in the universe! Scary shit. 

Yeah, the mind is very complex. The brain has billions of neurons which each sending electrical impulses which in turn send chemical messages to the next cell, each neuron can be connected to thousands of others all sending and receiving impulses. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realise that such a complex system has a high risk of something going wrong due to traumatic circumstances. I believe the National Academy of Scientists estimated that a single human brain has a greater number of possible connections amongst it nerve cells than the total number of atomic particles in the universe! Scary shit. 

Yep. Anxiety is mainly caused by the animal part of your brain I think, the lizard part in the brainstem that is purely instinctive, your brain interprets dangers and gives you a flight or fight feeling. Apparently people with long term stress often pick up infections because your body deploys its antibodies to the skin because it expects to be wounded in a fight! Amazing really. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Yep. Anxiety is mainly caused by the animal part of your brain I think, the lizard part in the brainstem that is purely instinctive, your brain interprets dangers and gives you a flight or fight feeling. Apparently people with long term stress often pick up infections because your body deploys its antibodies to the skin because it expects to be wounded in a fight! Amazing really. 

My daughter is currently studying psychology and a lot of the stuff is in English, she is always asking me to check to see if she is understanding the matter at hand properly, I've been reading some amazing stuff over the last two years. 

My daughter is currently studying psychology and a lot of the stuff is in English, she is always asking me to check to see if she is understanding the matter at hand properly, I've been reading some amazing stuff over the last two years. 

My daughter has an advanced degree in psychology.

She is a bit of a nutter and self-analyzes, not sure it was the best subject to do her degree in.

Clinical terminology helps. For example, "bipolar" sounds much more like an illness than the term "manic depressive", which has connotations of being crackers rather than ill.

Great post.

Guest Pistonbroke

Great post.

Far to many people give a shit about what others think and what is the flavour of the month. They then follow shit they don't even like just to fit in with what is popular, no wonder it makes them miserable behind closed doors. Like what the fuck you like and what makes you happy, don't let other people influence your life choices, make those choices yourself. 

Far to many people give a shit about what others think and what is the flavour of the month. They then follow shit they don't even like just to fit in with what is popular, no wonder it makes them miserable behind closed doors. Like what the fuck you like and what makes you happy, don't let other people influence your life choices, make those choices yourself.

Too right, mate. There used to be a cunt who lived opposite my wife and I, who was in his late 30's/early 40's. He was forever changing his appearance, clothes and hairstyle, to fit what was considered to be fashionable by the so-called experts. He looked absolutely ridiculous. If you can't make up your own mind regarding what you like and don't like, by that stage of your life, you probably never will be able to.

Too right, mate. There used to be a cunt who lived opposite my wife and I, who was in his late 30's/early 40's. He was forever changing his appearance, clothes and hairstyle, to fit what was considered to be fashionable by the so-called experts. He looked absolutely ridiculous. If you can't make up your own mind regarding what you like and don't like, by that stage of your life, you probably never will be able to.

Maybe he was bipolar...

I'm only being slightly facetious. Increasingly I'm aware that much of the strange/odd/antisocial/pathetic behaviour I see in others (and often criticise) is probably attributable to mental illness, trauma or an emotional burden of some sort.

As the natural stresses of physical toil that were part of the human experience for 99.999% of our evolution have disappeared due to the industrial and then technological revolutions, what's left behind are bodies and minds that aren't designed to cope with the modern world.

We were built for fight or flight with all the pressures and stresses that entails. A sedentary and mind-numbing existence lived vicariously on our arses and online is not healthy and the price to pay is a dramatic rise in obesity and mental illness.

Clearly not all mental illness is as a result of that, but I think much of it is. We need a purpose in life and many people do not feel like they have one.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Right, didn't want to bump this, but don't know what else to do.

I'm going through some fairly minor shit at the moment. We've sold our house, but the house we were buying has fallen through.

We've found another one now, but it will take a while to sort out.

We're split between my ma in laws and my sisters, and it's been over a month now, and hints are being dropped about us fucking off.

This has sent my anxiety levels through the roof, my meds aren't effective anymore, I'm not eating properly, and I can only see one way out of this mess.

Has anyone got a suggestion as to a painless quick way to end it?

I don't want to be talked out of it, I just want the easiest way out!!

• Upvote 1

Right, didn't want to bump this, but don't know what else to do.

I'm going through some fairly minor shit at the moment. We've sold our house, but the house we were buying has fallen through.

We've found another one now, but it will take a while to sort out.

We're split between my ma in laws and my sisters, and it's been over a month now, and hints are being dropped about us fucking off.

This has sent my anxiety levels through the roof, my meds aren't effective anymore, I'm not eating properly, and I can only see one way out of this mess.

Has anyone got a suggestion as to a painless quick way to end it?

I don't want to be talked out of it, I just want the easiest way out!!

Pick up the phone and speak to someone. Don't fuck about.

116 123,

• Upvote 4