You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thought I'd post these three definitions of mindfulness for those who are interested in its benefits or feel they might be lacking in these areas. Working on mindfulness will improve these aspects of your personality. 

Sustained attention:"...paying attention on purpose, from moment to moment, and non-judgementally" (Kabat-Zinn, 1994)

Cognitive flexibility:"...a state of continuous category formation. A mindful individual creates new approaches to events and situations. He or she is not bound by previously formed rigid attitudes; rather, the mindful person, situated in the present, explores a situation from several perspectives" (Margolis & Langer, 1990).

Inhibitory control:"...mindfulness is achieved through the development of experiential awareness and equanimity, which is the ability to remain unperturbed by an event experienced within the framework of one's body and thoughts as a result of objective observation" (Cayoun, 2003)

• Upvote 2

Thought I'd post these three definitions of mindfulness for those who are interested in its benefits or feel they might be lacking in these areas. Working on mindfulness will improve these aspects of your personality. 

Sustained attention:"...paying attention on purpose, from moment to moment, and non-judgementally" (Kabat-Zinn, 1994)

Cognitive flexibility:"...a state of continuous category formation. A mindful individual creates new approaches to events and situations. He or she is not bound by previously formed rigid attitudes; rather, the mindful person, situated in the present, explores a situation from several perspectives" (Margolis & Langer, 1990).

Inhibitory control:"...mindfulness is achieved through the development of experiential awareness and equanimity, which is the ability to remain unperturbed by an event experienced within the framework of one's body and thoughts as a result of objective observation" (Cayoun, 2003)

Isn't it easier to go on FB and find a meme that tells you Only you are in control of your destiny....with a background of a canoe and someone paddling?

• Upvote 7

Ok let me havr a think

I know more on Buddhism than any of the other types. Pretty much any beginners guide to Buddhism are good starting points. Most of the books by the Dalai Lama are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. Not 100% sure what might help but his books like "little book of wisdom","the art of happiness" might be worth a look. If look at them in a shop first though if you can.

Buddhism as a whole is pretty interesting and some great ideas on life and coping. It was only some of the more magical stuff that put me off following it as a whole

I watched that Stephen Fry thing last night. Some of the shit people with serious mental health issues deal with is both awful and tragic. It's deffo a good thing that it's becoming more widely discussed and that it's moving up the political agenda though.

• Upvote 1

I watched that Stephen Fry thing last night. Some of the shit people with serious mental health issues deal with is both awful and tragic. It's deffo a good thing that it's becoming more widely discussed and that it's moving up the political agenda though.

There is a big push going on here in Canada and as much as I hate corporations getting behind these things our telecommunications giant Bell has had a great campaign using an Olympic athlete and sports chat show host and Howie Mandel. It's calle Let's Talk.

I met the Olympian at a Hockey Canada function in Calgary (Alan Sex lives there and I was terrified I would run into him and end up in the dungeon) and she is the opposite of what you think a depressed person is- bubbly, engaging, etc. But you know when she goes home the lights go off and the mood darkens; anyone who has suffered know. I have been there myself.

It has to change, the stigma aboot mental health. If you seek help here in Canada and you do not have supplementary health insurance you are not covered.

For example, if I fell and broke my arm I go to the hospital and they fix it no charge. If I try and go to a psychologist or mental health councilor it's $100 an hour. Christ, I would be just starting the story of being binned by Lorraine in high school....

• Upvote 2

That's appalling!

And that's exactly how it is here unless your symptoms are so severe you require hospitalisation.

I broke my shoulder I was seen in A&E, seen at the fracture clinic the following week and referred from there for physio, all through the NHS.

I went to my GP and was diagnosed with depression. She immediately prescribed me medication (the correct thing, in my view) but was quite clear that any therapeutic intervention, besides the (very valuable) support she provided was going to be at my own expense.