You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm not sure what I have set off here tonight but thank you again for all your kind words and support. Particularly given people's readiness to share their experiences tonight I am amazed that there hasnt been a similar thread on here before. I'm not sure if it has but I hope it has been helpful for others too.

I also just like to say that one of my symptoms is that I seem to say thank you and sorry a lot.. and another is a heightened willingness to laugh at myself and desire for people to laugh at/with me through my tears

I think one of the biggest symptoms of depression is a propensity for self absorption. There have been loads of threads on it, but they weren't about you so you'll have missed them in the same way they will miss this one. Depressing but true.

Not when I did a google search and all that came up was one Nantwich Girl had started and as I said that didnt feel like the appropriate place to start this discussion

And I know that I'm not meant to respond to you when you're in Noos mode but hey..

I've lost count of the number of people on here that have claimed to suffer from depression. I think there's only a small handful of us that haven't. It's like the Internet age suicide cry for help/ attention. I'm self harming as I type this. Group hug?

I think people should be careful what they type on such a sensitive topic.

Redknight and you haven't suffered from it - that is great for you. But others have and if you haven't got anything helpful to say it is best not saying anything.

This is particularly insensitive:

It's like the Internet age suicide cry for help/ attention. I'm self harming as I type this. Group hug?

Most of the people that claim to have suffered from it haven't either. I read most threads on it and all I see is "me me me, me me and me. Oh, and me".

I don't think are the person to judge.

I've actually only just read through the thread and see my posts were echoed almost word for word by others before me. It really is tedious how many sad fucks there are out there trying to attach this label to their boring lives. You're not depressed, you're just self obsessed miserable attention seekers. Find yourself an enabler and spare the rest of us your self indulgent bullshit please.

I've actually only just read through the thread and see my posts were echoed almost word for word by others before me. It really is tedious how many sad fucks there are out there trying to attach this label to their boring lives. You're not depressed, you're just self obsessed miserable attention seekers. Find yourself an enabler and spare the rest of us your self indulgent bullshit please.

So Champ isn't depressed because she started a thread on a forum? Great reasoning there!

It is good to be open if you are suffering from depression and this is a place where it is possible to air views and feelings.

Such a shame you get ignorant, insensitive and narrow minded posters like you not offering anything to the thread other than potential harm.

You aren't depressed - that is great. But others potentially are and you really should just keep out of the thread if you aren't going to offer anything.

A good mate of mine got bad depression - still has - and I was amazed with the levels of paranoia and how I just couldn't reason him out of it. He exercised to fuck, lost loads of weight, did an OU course but turned himself into a hermit, cutting off all his mates and even his parents. Sadly I have to admit that we (his friends) gradually got fed up with the absence of any effort on his behalf and pretty much left him how he seemed to want to be.

I reckon it's a prime time of the year for this sort of thing. Maybe get some bigger lightbulbs?

There is a fine line between mental ilness (which should be taken very serious) and the people that are woe me and really just need to get stuff out of their head and focus on the positives in their life.

Mental ilness on a whole is being scrutinised at the moment and for many is as cool as being gay was 5 years ago when peoples moral and religeos views where challanged then. Another example of this was self harming.

Its a shame for the real people with depression that these sort of people hang on as the like the name tag.

For those with real mental ilness. Listen to the the professionals. Just because one thing worked for one sufferer doesn't mean it will work for you. That's why professionals are there to help.

I don't think I've ever had depression. But my wife has and does suffer all the time. It has an affect not only on the sufferer but the people that are surrounded by the ilness. Melons for example and her children.

Mental ilness should again I stress be taken very seriously but some people are just having a bad day/week/month or even year. If that's you just man the fuck up. If you know your in a darker place than that. Speak up and get help. Its for the better!

A good mate of mine got bad depression - still has - and I was amazed with the levels of paranoia and how I just couldn't reason him out of it. He exercised to fuck, lost loads of weight, did an OU course but turned himself into a hermit, cutting off all his mates and even his parents. Sadly I have to admit that we (his friends) gradually got fed up with the absence of any effort on his behalf and pretty much left him how he seemed to want to be.

I reckon it's a prime time of the year for this sort of thing. Maybe get some bigger lightbulbs?

And I know this thing is very individual but as I was saying to someone else the other day, I knew things were bad when I saw no interest in the things I like/love, like the sun and beautiful during the 'summer'....at least a this time of year there is no expectation on you to be happy about the weather/lack of light.

Al's joking, LFD. You know that, dont you, LFD :)

Light actually us really important.Daylight bulbs might be worth looking at.When I used to work nights winter was a nightmare,really could get you down as its dark when you go to bed in the morning then dark when you wake up.After a few months its horrible.

http://www.sada.org.uk/

I'm not saying its a issue for you but it could well be for some over the winter.Most people think its a joke.

I succumbed to my depression about 4 weeks ago. I'd tried counselling and am on citalopram. I returned to work last Friday but have been really struggling.

I heard the woman who'd caused it had split from her husband so tried again to reconcile with her because I still love her. She spurned me again and was totally emotionless.

I've spiralled to a new low and the only thing stopping me from topping myself is the anti-depressants.

No idea why I keep clinging onto this individual. She's caused me nothing but pain.

New year, new start hopefully.

You need to find value somewhere in your life. Depression is often exponential and thats why its so dangerous. Its easy to falter to self-consumption and have a fatalistic view about everything. But your life is invariably yours to control. So do it.

Find some goals. Find some interests. Find some strangers. (Find some pussy). Hopefully you'll ultimately find a balance and a route forward.

Edited by FrenchEyeGlass

I'm not biring noos, but i will agree with whomever it was said depression was the new buzz word, it is. But that's through ignorance people recognise the word, the don't recognise something like adjustment disorder, or perinatal mental illness - say depression and suddenly people nod, and almost get it.

So what sparked it? If you don't want to tell that's fine by the way.

For me it was accumulative and a reactive depression, my dad (grandad) died, unplanned pregnancy, my ex being an even huger twat at the time, i started counseling whilst pregnant, my mood lifted slightly and I actually went on to enjoy the last few months of the pregnancy then there was this huge dip when she was a few months old, another unplanned pregnancy (i had been on fertility treatment for years with the first two kids, so contraception wasn't something i'd ever thought of) Anyway, lack of sleep, husband quit his job with no discussion with me, a dock off mortgage so we had to move, temporarily homeless, another baby, then he had an affair, we split up, homeless again... shit hit the fan at that point.

You can handle one or two things at a time, all the above happened to me in just over two years.

Some people need that time to lick their wounds so to speak, i know if i'm having a rough patch i need to be left alone, give me a little while and i'll come around. That said, I wouldn't say I'm suffering with depression anymore. It's an effort to leave the house, or even be in company maybe if you do want to bother with him again suggest a trip to the flicks or something? Somewhere where you don't actually have to engage in conversation? It's also dark and requires allot less effort then a pint or a walk, so they maybe more comfortable with it.

Light actually us really important.Daylight bulbs might be worth looking at.When I used to work nights winter was a nightmare,really could get you down as its dark when you go to bed in the morning then dark when you wake up.After a few months its horrible.

SADA - The Seasonal Affective Disorder Association Official Website. Help and support for those suffering from SAD or winter blues. - The Seasonal Affective Disorder Association Official Website.

I'm not saying its a issue for you but it could well be for some over the winter.Most people think its a joke.

And i say each year i'm getting one of those bastard SAD lamps.

I am a massive summer person, i would live outdoors from March to October if i could. I spend winter planning and paying for everything i'll get upto the following summer. It stops me wanting to kill people, i'm sure.

New year, new start hopefully.

Plan things, don't think that come the 1st of Jan all will be ok. Look at going to places, book them and pay for them, give yourself something to 'almost' look forward too. You might have to pay for a mate to come with you to certain things , but it'll be worth it. I often book and plan things, then land myself in the shit because i've over extended myself, i just hand over the tickets to someone else or cancel other things i had on. It's not the end of the world to say no to something you've previously agreed too.

On a side note, i have to agree with Zig, i wouldn't change the fact that i've been ill, Its not something i would want to go through again but the fact that i have been means i know my limitations, i recognise myself more and believe i am stronger then i was as a result.

PS, should anyone bite noos' fishing rod, you're getting negged. x

My son has just been diagnosed with SAD. He has ADHD also. he is collecting letters it seems. He is treated by a department for kids and they had a new top doctor in and he was due to meet my son so he reviewed his case and noticed a pattern since he was young. we had also had thoughts along the same lines, but it was nice to have it confirmed. He has been prescribed an SSRI and he uses one of these, which really seems to help.

energy_light_philips_2.jpg

He has only recently started, but early signs are good.