You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

As other's have said in a similar way on here, if you're over the age of fifteen and still think people are 'grassing' then you're a twat. I could understand not shopping your mate for growing a few cannabis plants or a little bit of dodgy dealing on the side. I occasionally see the devastation caused by serious crime and to think that some bellend may hold onto important information out of simply not wanting to be a grass is laughable.

Yes I'm a Police Officer but, on the other side of it, my uncle was the victim of a pretty brutal murder when I was a kid when he was battered to death for nothing more than his chinese takeaway. It probably was tasty mind you, but moving on. In that case what seemed like half a community rallied round and protected these bastards. A pub landlady washed their clothes, many more knew a man was lay in an alleyway either dead or dying and did fuck all out of some warped respect and sense of duty. Some others went out of their way to make up stories (proven) to in some way give justification for the killings.

I must admit my blood was boiling about five years ago when the nephew of one such accomplice happened to grin and talk proudly to me about the role his mum played in washing the bloodstained clothes. He didn't know who I was, and was in handcuffs in A and E at the time. He never did get that cigarette he was desperate for.

Guest davelfc
A supplementary question for the 22 who voted "No" - If your colleagues had caused deaths by criminal negligence, would you falsify statements to cover for them?

Well they wouldn't be a friend if they asked me to do that and I doubt any of my best friends would ask. They know the answer to that one before they even ask.

@ Charles did the case with your uncle shape you to become a police officer?

No not really. I'm quite small and weak and got bullied at School. I felt having a badge and a uniform would give me untold power and possibly riches if I looked under enough mattresses when first on scene at Spinster deaths.

In truth it didn't have much of an impact to be honest. I was a bit of a rare case at School, certainly my School anyway. I tended to get on with all of then sensible kids at one end (and be in the upper sets) and hang around with the less sensible at the other due to where I grew up and lived. I suppose its made me well rounded enough and able enough to speak to most people at either end of the spectrum properly without appearing either stupid or condescending. Think shoplifting one week and Duke of Edinburgh the next.

I've got to be realistic here, even in my role I could see the logic behind someone not turning people in if they made a strong case for believing that person had deserved it. I don't think it is black and white at least morally speaking. I wouldn't look down on anyone for killing a man that raped their partner/sister/child. Neither would I look down on anyone that didn't turn someone in or even tried to cover it up. In fact I'd probably harbour a desire for them to get away with it. Then on the other end someone who killed a complete stranger. I could never condone people closing ranks and protecting someone for that. Where does one end and the other begin through. Somewhere in the middle the lines are going to get blurred and it all gets a bit tricky.

Funnily enough I don't believe in strictly enforced rules, which goes against my job really. I'd love to wander the streets like Judge Dredd and make my own moral decisions.

You only have to look through this thread to see the wide ranging opinions on here. Some are pro revenge, some are completely against it. I never pegged Noos as a snitch for example. He better hope his mates rally around him when he does eventually fiddle with his daughter's friends.

I guess that's why we do have a strict set of laws and a legal system which should, in theory at least, strike the right balance.

Well they wouldn't be a friend if they asked me to do that and I doubt any of my best friends would ask. They know the answer to that one before they even ask.

But would you be prepared to deny justice to the victim's family if your friend had murdered someone?

I don't see any moral difference between the two acts.

I once shot a man just to watch him die

Were you in Reno by any chance?

Voted no in the poll but honestly it'd depend all on the circumstances. Self-defense for example is a definite no. I'd have to assume war falls under that category obviously.

murder over something not life threatening and I'd try to get them to go themselves before I did anything but if that didn't happen I'd most likely feel obligated.

• 7 years later...