You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Di Matteo sacked

King Emlyn

Chelsea have a very good side, I think anyone half decent would have them in with a shout for the title. Money is all.

Problem is with money not being an issue, Rafa might not actually fall out with the board.

He might fall out with the board if he wants to spend 20 million on the next Salif Diao.

This is pretty much standard for billionaire owners! Chelsea owe every bit of their success to Abramovich - this is what he wants in return. Their team is nothing more than a rich man's hobby horse.

Don't most clubs owe much to their investors?, either in the last decade, or the last 60 years. At some point owners have invested in the club, some wisely, some not, but money has been put in. In the past it was typically 'local millionaire', now it's foreign billionaire.

It was a lottery 60 years ago if you were lucky enough to have a wealthy benefactor or not, and it's the same today.

Of course Chelsea is a rich man's hobby, like City are an advertising billboard for Abu Dhabi, and Liverpool are an 'investment punt' for FSG.

I'm not sure any of them hold any greater virtue over the others.

Abramovic is a mentalist, absolutely hate Chelsea since he's owned them. Them winning the CL last season was the worst thing that could've happened to European football IMO. Any manager that takes the job is an idiot, they must surely know they don't have long at Chelsea. Even Pep, who everyone says Roman is desperate to hire will be fired if he doesn't bring success every single season. Or even half a season, as Di Matteo has found out.

Isn't that just the same at Real Madrid? If you don't deliver, you're out!

I agree though, a manager knows the score when they go there, but they aren't stupid, they know that it raises their profile, and chances are, when you're sacked, you're not viewed too badly for the sacking!... it's almost expected. All in all, it's an attractive offer - a decent team, high profile, and unless you're a disaster, you'll still be wanted after being sacked?

Maybe it's not such a stupid move for any manager just wanting to get back in the limelight?

Don't most clubs owe much to their investors?, either in the last decade, or the last 60 years. At some point owners have invested in the club, some wisely, some not, but money has been put in. In the past it was typically 'local millionaire', now it's foreign billionaire.

It was a lottery 60 years ago if you were lucky enough to have a wealthy benefactor or not, and it's the same today.

Of course Chelsea is a rich man's hobby, like City are an advertising billboard for Abu Dhabi, and Liverpool are an 'investment punt' for FSG.

I'm not sure any of them hold any greater virtue over the others.

Hmmm - I can see where you are coming from, but there is a difference. With Chelsea, and yourself there is an implicit threat that 'We are as good as it is ever going to be - so you either sign up or fuck off', we will have other owners, as will United, as will Arsenal. Chelsea and City will not enjoy their current benefits if they are sold on - you do not have investors, you have backers and there is a tangible difference in the approach to management between and investor and a backer.

Let's not count how many people were fired-hired-fired since FSG took over, or whether the Hedge Fund constitutes true investors. Let's conveniently avoid this discussion at least for today. The day is dedicated to Chelsea and their seemingly new manager Rafa! Ole!

Actually I'm glad Chelsea exists, so they can divert some of the attention and the Media's unhealthy hatred towards Suarez... at least for a couple of days.

If Rafa goes there it won't look right, but if offered the job he should do it. He would have come back to Anfield but that ship has sailed, and even if the Chelsea job is only until the summer, it gives Rafa a shot at trophies - I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Prem with Chelsea; and crucially, the job will put him in the shop window again, as he hasn't managed for a while now.

A prediction: Rafa to manage Chelsea, win the Prem, then be replaced by Guardiola, then move to Man City to replace Mancini, keeping his place in Caldy.

Not as far fetched as some might think.

Although I just don't see Guardiola at Chelsea. If Guardiola really wants to repeat the Barca pattern, it's going to be United, Arsenal or Liverpool... and at a very outside chance, City, bu for me, those three clubs hold ALL the appeal.

At a push, I'd say Liverpool and Arsenal offer the nicer platform to build upon (but more challenging), whilst United offer the easiest option.

But all of the above presupposes that Guardiola is wanting a long term project and to build a status for himself as a club legend - because that's the public persona of him - the 'settled down' manager. If that's not accurate, then the above theory falls down.

Most shocking sacking of a manager I can remember in my days as a football fan. Completely mental but I guess they have someone else ready to take over very soon. Hopefully it's Harry Redknapp.

Del Bosque was slightly worse i reckon. 2 la liga titles, 2 CL titles and a bunch of supercups and what not in 4 years, and that lunatic Florentino Perez decided he had to go.

A prediction: Rafa to manage Chelsea, win the Prem, then be replaced by Guardiola, then move to Man City to replace Mancini, keeping his place in Caldy.

I think that is what will happen also.

Guardiola is a nap for Chelsea because it is London and suits him - I get the impression lifestyle is just as important to him.

Maureen for United and Rafa for City.

Del Bosque was slightly worse i reckon. 2 la liga titles, 2 CL titles and a bunch of supercups and what not in 4 years, and that lunatic Florentino Perez decided he had to go.

He had a fucking brilliant team though, and they expected European success every season, which they weren't far off. Their problem wasn't sacking Del Bosque, although I agree it was a strange decision, but the utter crap they replaced him with.

Has Guardiola said that he´d like to work in England, or why does everyone assume that things will automatically pan out certain way ? To me it looks like he´s not sure if he even wants to manage any team anymore.

I think he has put himself in a bit of an odd situation, I think Barcelona is always going to be his club and he'll never do the same thing anywhere else and even if he does do well elsewhere it won't be the same (bit like Kenny away from us), thing is the current Barca team is so good you'd have to be Hodgson to make a mess of the job there and Villanova is unlikely to get the sack, I can see Guardiola maybe taking one or two other jobs and then fading out of the game until the time comes to go back to Barca

Dale Johnson ‏@dalejohnsonESPN

It's Rafa Benitez for Chelsea. Told the club will confirm this during the Champions League games tonight.

Fucking hell.

Chelsea fan was heard complaining that appointing Rafa "would go against Chelsea's traditions and principles"

What fucking traditions and principles would they be? If there was ever a club that is the epitomy of lacking principles and traditions, it is that shitstain of a club called Chelsea.