You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Isnt he from N.Ireland? Which would mean he is from the UK,no? So is still working in his own country,as such.

Please,correct me if I am wrong.

We have a right to dual nationality and can hold an Irish and British passport.

I've had both. Currently just have an Irish one as I lost my British one.

We have a right to dual nationality and can hold an Irish and British passport.

I've had both. Currently just have an Irish one as I lost my British one.

Same here.

And fair play to him for standing up for what he believes. If everyone did that we wouldn't have these complete fucktards in charge all over the globe.

It's all a bit Facebook this "if you don't like it, fuck off" stuff. It's like saying you shouldn't go to Spain if you don't like the ol' bullfighting. If he feels strongly about it then he should be able to do as he likes.

It's really not. The point is he's just another armchair republican who wants to be seen to have beliefs IMO. As other have said he didn't need to sing. Maybe I would think differently if my perception of him was different. Everyone has the right to protest. I just don't think his has any real motives.

Should have just sung YNWA over it, like most of us do. Would that have made it ok for the people complaining on here? Leave him be, he's got opinions, so fucking what? I find it amusing that some Liverpool fans are outraged by someone turning their back on God Save The Queen. It's something we should have done years ago. Fuck the Queen. Fuck Royalty. Fuck them all.

• Upvote 1

Seems quite respectful to it compared to 90% of scousers at the two merseyside cup finals of the 80s.

The country is getting more and more plastic patriotic. People like my old man came from an inner city liverpool tenement (very irish) and would have had fuck all respect for the royals, but when push came to shove, he was there standing up against the germans.

I bet he would have had a right good chuckle at all the self righteous condemnation of a bloke who turned his back to gstq when i seem to recall him turning the volume down when it came on.

Btw, i think mclean comes from the same estate as where bloody sunday happened. It's like asking a scouser to give sheffield police a round of applause for their cover ups and lies.

• Upvote 4

He didn't need to turn his back, he could of just stood there like everyone else it's not like he's being forced to do anything just stand there and listen to something.

If it was an English player turning his back on the Argie/German or Irish national anthem for similar reasons I'm sure there would be a lot more outrage.

I wasn't fussed about the poppy incident, brandishing poppies has no place in football IMO. And I question why a national anthem was played in a friendly game between clubs. But having said that, McClean comes across as a bit of an attention-seeker and frankly, deserves all the shit he gets as a result. I'm not a fan of the monarchy or the stupid anthem Britain has adopted but the fact is that it represents the country whether we like it or not, and to have a footballer playing for an English club publicly showing his disdain towards the country will rightly receive criticism. 

I'm not arsed about him not singing the anthem and it's not something I find offensive, I just think the guy's a bit of a nob. I've not time for the royal family and I've never sung the national anthem at any event but all that requires is to keep your mouth shut for 2 minutes.

Turning your back and making an obvious gesture smacks of someone seeking attention and trying too hard to make a point. Regardless of his views on the country and the establishment it's still a pretty childish thing to do really. Same with the whole poppy thing.

Why is he a nob? Or a tit? I think he is doing what he feels is the right thing to do by his beliefs regardless of the uproar and bad publicity. I wish more people were like that. Particularly when ignoring an unelected fucking head of state.

• Upvote 7

He didn't need to turn his back, he could of just stood there like everyone else it's not like he's being forced to do anything just stand there and listen to something.

If it was an English player turning his back on the Argie/German or Irish national anthem for similar reasons I'm sure there would be a lot more outrage.

That's exactly what he did. Everyone else turned around to face the flag, he just stood as he was. 

• Upvote 1

Haha, repped for the avatar.

Thought I had done but just saw it wasn't there, done now.

I've no problem with what McClean has done either. Our national anthem usually winds me up, or at the least I just think it's strange and out of touch, also a bit morbid, so someone turning away from it isn't bothering me at all.

Thought I had done but just saw it wasn't there, done now.

I've no problem with what McClean has done either. Our national anthem usually winds me up, or at the least I just think it's strange and out of touch, also a bit morbid, so someone turning away from it isn't bothering me at all.

True, it's shit and not conducive to a good sing-a-long. Rule Britannia would

have got him humming along.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2