You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Would not surprise me one bit if you are both the same person. 

It would fucking surprise me.

Come on now Stig, you usually instigate these discussions and get all upset with yourself when people hold different views. Just look at the insults you hurl. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

It would fucking surprise me.

Come on now Stig, you usually instigate these discussions and get all upset with yourself when people hold different views. Just look at the insults you hurl. 

If thats how it comes across then fair enough. 

22 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Well I for one have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last few pages; members calling each other bigots, cunts and pricks, all whilst pontificating on the right to express oneself without receiving abuse.

Marvellous.

Classic TLW

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Well I for one have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last few pages; members calling each other bigots, cunts and pricks, all whilst pontificating on the right to express oneself without receiving abuse.

Marvellous.

I don't mind an insult. I quite enjoy it. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:18 PM, dylstar said:

Forget the Coca-Cola advert this is when you know Christmas is on the way.....

Speaking of which I like the Aldi advert with the carrot driving the HGV, which simultaneously takes the piss out of the Christmas Coca Cola truck advert and superbly references The Italian Job.

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Marvellous.

The talk of half and half hats was like the bat sign though wasn't it.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

FFS, why stop there?! Fucking Patrick. The Normans? The Vikings? The Gaels? 

Ireland is the ONLY country in the western world with a smaller population now than in it had in 1845. This is due soley to actions deliberately taken by the British government under directions from the British army. You can brush it aside all you want but millions of dead and displaced tends to lead to long standing grudges and possibly a reluctance by Irish people to actively support the British army. People in areas still occupied by the British maybe feel even more entitled not support them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't like McClean. A very ordinary footballer who is nothing more than a journeyman. Until Merseyside gets independence a la Catolonia, Ireland is the closest thing i have to a national team and they are diabolical right now. 

I don't like McClean's stance. My attitude would be wear the fucking poppy, because it honours millions of decent men. I'm fairly sure I read once that at the time of the first world war, dublin had per capita a much higher percentage of soldiers than any city in mainland Britain. This was because Dublin had the worst slums in Europe and it soldiering has always been a way of putting food on the table. In fact at the time, Dublin had the highest child mortality rate in the world, followed by Calcutta then Liverpool. These are your people McClean so why not honour them.

Having said that, i grew up in liverpool. Most of my mates and i were irish catholic descent, but my best mate was a proddie dog and the big talking points were red or blue. I have been to Derry (londonderry) and the people were boss. If i grew up in Derry, it's possible that i'd think like him because of how catholics there were treated. The British Army did shitty things up there.

Let's leave McClean to the Orcs in Stoke or Middlesborough to discuss. This is a Liverpool forum and we're a bit better than that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The whole poppy thing is yet another example of how polarised the world has become and how incapable we are as a society to react to anything that is "shades-of-grey" instead of black-and-white like we want it.

Any group of people in the history of the world has done at least a few good things. Any group of people in the history of the world has done at least a few evil things.

So along comes something like the poppy, originally intended to honour one of the good things that the UK did back when it was full-on empiring around the world (and consequently doing lots of things that today we recognise were awful). "Support our WWI veterans," the appeal said. Which, fair enough, is a hard point to argue about - most of those soldiers were not wealthy, did not serve for personal gain, and as a society I think we can mostly all agree that helping the ones who bore the brunt of the suffering in the war isn't a bad thing.

But then someone says "Yeah, but the same army that fought the Germans in WWI was also violently oppressing and murdering people in any number of places (Ireland, India, etc). So I don't want to wear a symbol that could be interpreted as supporting those things, especially the ones that affected my area and my family" which again, is perfectly reasonable in a way. McClean's decision not to wear the poppy is, to him, a way of protesting against some of the oppression committed in the name of the Empire.

And there's where about 50% of our society is completely incapable of understanding what's really happening. He must either consent to wear the poppy or, in their small little minds, he's "spitting in the face of my great-grandfather, a man whose honourable service and sacrifices at Ypres should not be impugned!" But these self-same people would never consent to fund a statue of Jimmy Saville to commemorate all the money he raised for children's hospitals, because they would understandably baulk because of his criminal abuse of children at the same time!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

The whole poppy thing is yet another example of how polarised the world has become and how incapable we are as a society to react to anything that is "shades-of-grey" instead of black-and-white like we want it.

Any group of people in the history of the world has done at least a few good things. Any group of people in the history of the world has done at least a few evil things.

So along comes something like the poppy, originally intended to honour one of the good things that the UK did back when it was full-on empiring around the world (and consequently doing lots of things that today we recognise were awful). "Support our WWI veterans," the appeal said. Which, fair enough, is a hard point to argue about - most of those soldiers were not wealthy, did not serve for personal gain, and as a society I think we can mostly all agree that helping the ones who bore the brunt of the suffering in the war isn't a bad thing.

But then someone says "Yeah, but the same army that fought the Germans in WWI was also violently oppressing and murdering people in any number of places (Ireland, India, etc). So I don't want to wear a symbol that could be interpreted as supporting those things, especially the ones that affected my area and my family" which again, is perfectly reasonable in a way. McClean's decision not to wear the poppy is, to him, a way of protesting against some of the oppression committed in the name of the Empire.

And there's where about 50% of our society is completely incapable of understanding what's really happening. He must either consent to wear the poppy or, in their small little minds, he's "spitting in the face of my great-grandfather, a man whose honourable service and sacrifices at Ypres should not be impugned!" But these self-same people would never consent to fund a statue of Jimmy Saville to commemorate all the money he raised for children's hospitals, because they would understandably baulk because of his criminal abuse of children at the same time!

TLDR version - Most people are thick as shit.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This may be as good a place as any (until the match thread opens) to mention that the buses from Town next week are going from Lord Street, instead of Queen Square/St John's Lane, because of a service at the Cenotaph. 

Yeah, but are the buses decorated with poppies?