You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

49 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The massive flaw in both his and your argument is, he's earning his living in the land of that 'foreign' army and the land of his oppressors.

If the lad doesnt want to wear a poppy, I dont have a problem with that. But if he, you and anyone else wants to be a massive hypocrite by saying he's ok to earn his living in the land of his oppressors, then the argument shatters into a thousand pieces.

I don't even know where to start with this?  It's so badly thought through from word one until the end.  

You know he's from the UK?  He's literally from the land of his oppressors?  So does he have to move to the Republic of Ireland, or Spain, or some other random country before being allowed to be vocal on the horrific, murderous, oppressive horror that has been the 800 year British occupation of Ireland?    "If you don't like it you can leave your own country"????

EDIT. for the avoidance of doubt, his photo was really stupid.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Carradona said:

"Local man has a strong opinion about a foreign army who killed innocent civilians in his city." No issue at all with this. In fact, it deserves widespread respect.

The balaclava history lesson was stupid but its hardly a crime.

For those who think he's irrelevant; he's not considered so by those in Ireland who have watched him score goals in big qualifier games for major tournaments. And he is not considered irrelevant in Derry where he pumps money into helping the homeless as well as the local cancer and spina bifida charities. 

But go ahead and carry on having a go at a lad who has the balls to stand up for what he believes in. 

Was anyone calling it a crime? Was anyone saying it should be a crime? It was an obnoxious thing to post, and James McClean himself has said as much. He earned a lot of plaudits for the manner in which he handled the whole poppy thing, but I'm afraid that made him think he was (pun unintended) bulletproof. 

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Don’t bring God into it you shilling grabbing hypocrite

tee hee hee..........

Whose shilling though?...... 

Carradona has had people for breakfast here. 

• Upvote 1

When i lived in London in the 70s and 80s, I saw all these great irish people who suffered terrible discrimination - just a few years after the no irish no black no dogs signs. 

On the telly, you could see places like Derry, where the locals got a raw deal.

I'm Liverpool Irish so I'm sympatethic to Ireland. The city got it's unique identity from migrants and especially from the Irish.

This McClean guy had my support with the poppy. He's a mediocre player but no crime in that. If he does a lot for local charities, good on him. Maybe, he meant this as a joke, but he's missing the point, which is a lot of decent people in Ireland and the UK have suffered over the years from atrocities on both sides. His city is in a better place than it was years ago  - why revisit the past when the future is brighter?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Carradona said:

There is no "bright future" for as long as the racist, sectarian, homophobic, backward-thinking DUP cunts still have an ounce of power in NI. 

They seem sensible enough.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-dup-man-in-apology-after-claiming-pandemic-gods-wrath-for-abortion-and-same-sex-marriage-in-northern-ireland-39096782.html

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Aw didums, a couple of soft melts em city and deiseach had to hit the neg button because they dont like a view that is different to theirs. Yep, upholding your fine view on free speech, eh girls?

You're entitled to your viewpoint and I'm entitled to think it's horseshit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

I was horrified and I'm glad that justice seems to be on it's way for the scumbags who were involved. 

You can quit putting words in my mouth, you classless piece of shit.

I've got plenty of class. I certainly know it's wrong to glorify murderers.

5 minutes ago, deiseach said:

You're entitled to your viewpoint and I'm entitled to think it's horseshit.

Of course you are entitled to your view, mate. But then you threw your toys out of the pram because it was a different view to your's and you took part of it out of context. But whatever, crack on.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Of course you are entitled to your view, mate. But then you threw your toys out of the pram because it was a different view to your's and you took part of it out of context. But whatever, crack on.

Ah, 'out of context'. The catchcry of the politician who has been caught saying the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet. I'll crack on using the neg button when I think it's appropriate, thanks. As Dave is wont to say, and I am quoting him out of context here, it's what we pay for.

23 minutes ago, Ben Sherman said:

20200403_141221.jpg

Exactly.  The whole poppy thing has become such a magnet for the worst type of hate in society that footballers are forced to wear it for fear of the attacks if they refuse.  How many footballers wear it who don't want to but have seen the abuse McLean has got for his stance?

Of course many chose to wear it because if there is one thing we saw during the whole Brexit shambles it was just how little the general British public knows about it's own history, especially in the north of Ireland.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Whose shilling though?...... 

Carradona has had people for breakfast here. 

I dont include myself in that one. I would love you or him to justify, even in a little teensy way, that doing what he did in this case is anyway justified.

Remember he is wearing the garb of a terrorist and obviously thinks it in some way amusing to be seen to be passing that mindset on to his children. Its dangerous, it open up conflict. As seen here.