You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Mcfaggen said:

Including, I believe some of his own family in WWI.  

He has the right to choose. His forefathers won him the right. They also gave him the choice to be a bellend bigot, which he grasped with both hands. Swings & roundabouts I guess. 

How is he a bigot? You are a fucking prick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

You haven't answered why he is a bigot yet 

Promoting an organisation that engaged in a 35 year sectarian murdering campagain against Irish Protestants (indeed trying to “cleanse” swathes of land because of their religion) & describing one of their biggest murderers as a “hero”. It’s pretty tasteless stuff. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don't believe he's a bigot nor inferred he was. He also has the right to believe in a United Ireland,or not and that has little to do with this debate.

Of course he has that right. He could express it by not suggesting the murder of people because of their religion is an acceptable part of his “United Ireland” beliefs. That’s the bigotry bit. 

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I haven't heard him talk about murdering people but I wouldn't disagree if he thinks thousands of soldiers were murdered by the British government during those wars.

“Thousands”? 

“Soldiers”? 

“Wars”? 

The IRA murdered more than anyone else in Ireland. Their bigoted, sectarian campaign, lauded by a millionaire footballer. 

1 minute ago, Mcfaggen said:

“Thousands”? 

“Soldiers”? 

“Wars”? 

The IRA murdered more than anyone else in Ireland. Their bigoted, sectarian campaign, lauded by a millionaire footballer. 

There were thousands shot for deserting on the orders of their COs during WW1 and as for the troubles it was not just one sided,as far as I am aware. You seem to have a Protestant bias here while I heartily condemn all involved in the  troubles.

31 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

Promoting an organisation that engaged in a 35 year sectarian murdering campagain against Irish Protestants (indeed trying to “cleanse” swathes of land because of their religion) & describing one of their biggest murderers as a “hero”. It’s pretty tasteless stuff. 

You're an ignorant prick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

There were thousands shot for deserting on the orders of their COs during WW1 and as for the troubles it was not just one sided,as far as I am aware. You seem to have a Protestant bias here while I heartily condemn all involved in the  troubles.

Apologies I didn’t catch the drift on the WW’s. 

Being anti-IRA doesn’t make me a Protestant. It makes me normal. 

I condemn all paramilitaries in Ireland, regardless of persuasion or sectarian tint. Their bigotry is disgusting. They haven’t under discussion here, but happy to condemn anyone who promotes any of them. 

2 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

Apologies I didn’t catch the drift on the WW’s. 

Being anti-IRA doesn’t make me a Protestant. It makes me normal. 

I condemn all paramilitaries in Ireland, regardless of persuasion or sectarian tint. Their bigotry is disgusting. They haven’t under discussion here, but happy to condemn anyone who promotes any of them. 

What is your stance on Operation Banner then?

6 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

You're an ignorant prick. 

For calling out a grotty sectarian group for being a bunch of bigoted psychopaths? Maybe you think killing people, including pregnant women & children, for their religion is cool... that’d make you a sectarian fuckloaf too. 

1 minute ago, Mcfaggen said:

For calling out a grotty sectarian group for being a bunch of bigoted psychopaths? Maybe you think killing people, including pregnant women & children, for their religion is cool... that’d make you a sectarian fuckloaf too. 

No I don't. But I also know what McGuinness did for the people of Derry and the role he had in the peace process. I also know that McClean never wanted a fuss over any of this. At the start he quietly declined to have any part in wearing a poppy. But then people wanted an explanation. He gave one and people didn't like the answer and then he gets abuse for not towing the party line that the only thing the British army ever did was fight the Nazi's and therefore their soldiers should be respected by everyone across the globe as if nothing apart from that ever happened. He isn't a bigot for standing up for what he believes in and having a pair of balls. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, an tha said:

What is your stance on Operation Banner then?

Far too big a thing to boil down.

We’re the troops necessary to start, brought in to protect the catholic community in Belfast from bigoted psychopaths? Can’t say, wasn’t there. The welcome from the Catholic community suggests so but I can’t be definitive. 

Were they necessary by the 70’s to protect the Protestant community from the IRA - who were by this point heavily armed? The 80’s with their Semtex? They saved thousands of lives - both Protestant & Catholic, I’m sure each & every one of those thank their lucky stars for it. 

By the 90’s they had infiltrated most of the paramilitaries & ground them to a halt - hence the ceasefires & eventual Belfast Agreement. Most sane people see that outcome as welcome. Was it worth the effort? Big question but there are dozens of filters. Thousands of episodes - some criminal (and they deserve the criminal justice system just like any other criminal) - lots heroic. 

4 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

Far too big a thing to boil down.

We’re the troops necessary to start, brought in to protect the catholic community in Belfast from bigoted psychopaths? Can’t say, wasn’t there. The welcome from the Catholic community suggests so but I can’t be definitive. 

Were they necessary by the 70’s to protect the Protestant community from the IRA - who were by this point heavily armed? The 80’s with their Semtex? They saved thousands of lives - both Protestant & Catholic, I’m sure each & every one of those thank their lucky stars for it. 

By the 90’s they had infiltrated most of the paramilitaries & ground them to a halt - hence the ceasefires & eventual Belfast Agreement. Most sane people see that outcome as welcome. Was it worth the effort? Big question but there are dozens of filters. Thousands of episodes - some criminal (and they deserve the criminal justice system just like any other criminal) - lots heroic. 

Exactly it is far too big a thing to boil down easily and simply and attach a label to....in much the same way that for me McLean's or anyone elses views and beliefs that will be shaped from their perspective/experience are far too big a thing to boil down to the kind of labelling you have applied in this thread.

In your post above you actually make well thought out and reasonable points though.

2 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

No I don't. But I also know what McGuinness did for the people of Derry and the role he had in the peace process. I also know that McClean never wanted a fuss over any of this. At the start he quietly declined to have any part in wearing a poppy. But then people wanted an explanation. He gave one and people didn't like the answer and then he gets abuse for not towing the party line that the only thing the British army ever did was fight the Nazi's and therefore their soldiers should be respected by everyone across the globe as if nothing apart from that ever happened. He isn't a bigot for standing up for what he believes in and having a pair of balls. 

Do you now? And for the three figure number of people killed by the IRA in Derry under is command? What do you think of Machine Gun Marty’s efforts for those people of Derry? For their spouses & their children? He was a murdererous psychopath. The place is better off now he’s dead. 

As for McClean, his decision over the poppy doesn’t say anything about him. I fully support his right to choose & it’s his decision. His reasons are his own, I don’t judge him for them at all. 

Its is lauding of sectarian murderers I object to. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

Exactly it is far too big a thing to boil down easily and simply and attach a label to....in much the same way that for me McLean's or anyone elses views and beliefs that will be shaped from their perspective/experience are far too big a thing to boil down to the kind of labelling you have applied in this thread.

I’ll agree to disagree on the parallels you’re attempting to construct between a sectarian bunch of criminals who killed people because they were different to them & an army sent to do a police enforcement job. 

Seems pretty simple to say that killing someone because because of their religion is a bigoted thing to do. Supporting that is a bigoted thing to do & if you do support it & the organisations that do it, you’re going to get called a bigot. Like James McClean. 

Today in 1993, the IRA killed a Protestant in Newry, because he was a Protestant. Who in their right mind supports that? Bigoted psychopaths do. 

Anyways, I came here to talk about football & not get triggered by sectarian shite. 

If anyone wants to develop a conversation on any of the points above, feel free to drop me a message off the board & leave the Irish off for the good folks who couldn’t give a rats arse. 

I’ll be leaving this alone as best I can from here. 

• Upvote 1

You are one small minded, ignorant, ill educated biased twat. If McClean doesn't want to wear a poppy because he has felt and seen the suffering of his friends and family in an illegally occupied country where he was cast aside for being Catholic then that is his right. The Brits aren't there by invitation and have killed far more Catholics than the Irish have killed Protestants. Do your fucking homework before coming on here spouting shite like you just have. I've served in the British forces and I still don't wear a poppy because I know just how much innocent blood stains the union jack. I will have a moment of respect to myself on sunday for the fallen but it won't be exclusively to British soldiers. Fuck off back to your Tommy Robinson forum. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

I’ll agree to disagree on the parallels you’re attempting to construct between a sectarian bunch of criminals who killed people because they were different to them & an army sent to do a police enforcement job. 

Seems pretty simple to say that killing someone because because of their religion is a bigoted thing to do. Supporting that is a bigoted thing to do & if you do support it & the organisations that do it, you’re going to get called a bigot. Like James McClean. 

Today in 1993, the IRA killed a Protestant in Newry, because he was a Protestant. Who in their right mind supports that? Bigoted psychopaths do. 

You seem to have a bit of a leaning towards or maybe against one side of this to me.

For example i can't see you mentioning collusion for example between the British millitary and paramillitaries...you only seem to want to point out the 'wrongs' of one 'side'.

Just now, an tha said:

You seem to have a bit of a leaning towards or maybe against one side of this to me.

For example i can't see you mentioning collusion for example between the British millitary and paramillitaries...you only seem to want to point out the 'wrongs' of one 'side'.

He still thinks Gerry Adams mimes