You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch, be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

With attitudes like Maclean's and the other side flaunting the poppy as something else I'd say ye have broken faith.

It's like politics, the military, nationalism, entertainment, celebrity and knobhead Facebook culture have somehow all been melded into one weird fucking outlook on society. We're turning into the Running Man.

I said something similar to my girlfriend when she was watching X-Factor the other week and the lad that presents it danced on to the stage like Killian.

There could be a whole load of reasons he decided not to wear a poppy. It might well be due to bloody sunday, it could be he supports the IRA, perhaps loyalists murdered some family members, perhaps he is in agreement with the bombing of old soldiers wearing their poppies in Enniskillen. As mentioned he might want to play for Celtic.

Whatever his reason, millions died in order for him to be able to make his own decision. Its good that he can.

He should go & play in the League of Ireland as he's so principled.................

And before the first Fenian has a pop I have a wife from Crumlin, Dublin

You can be proud to be from a Liverpol background but still see respect for the armed forces and the job they do.

My wife's grandfather was in the Royal Navy.and when the Black & Tans came house searching the picture of him in Uniform always meant they went straight out (and no I'm not saying I agree with extremes of the past on any side)

But this lad McClean I do feel a real disdain for

That's up there with "I'm not racist, I've got a mate who's a Paki."

[Edit - In light of Cestrian's gracious making-up with Johnny, I now feel a bit of a dick for this snarkiness.]

He should go & play in the League of Ireland as he's so principled.................

And before the first Fenian has a pop I have a wife from Crumlin, Dublin

You can be proud to be from a Liverpool background but still see respect for the armed forces and the job they do.

My wife's grandfather was in the Royal Navy.and when the Black & Tans came house searching the picture of him in Uniform always meant they went straight out (and no I'm not saying I agree with extremes of the past on any side)

But this lad McClean I do feel a real disdain for

Only post of the thread I've come close to agreeing with.

Fair play to James McClean, I wouldnt wear a poppy if you paid me. Yes originally it was a symbol of lost lives in WW1 or WW2 but its been extended to soldiers who have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan which surely implies Ireland too.

The Irish soldiers that went to the World wars went on a promise of home rule. They died then never got it.

The British army was responsible for a famine that halved the population of Ireland and thats before you start taking into account how many they killed when they actually started using bullets. For anyone that thinks the Famine was caused by a potato blight please pick up a history book. The British army withdrew under military garrison enough food to feed 18 million people over the 5 years the famine occured. Ireland had a population of 8 million.

Anyone who expects an Irishman to wear a poppy should go and try sell them on the streets of Iraq and Afghanistan because it makes about that much sense to expect the Irish to wear one.

When your done, why dont you suggest that the Palestinian national team wear the Star of David on their kits for the next International match?

• Upvote 1

Fair play to James McClean, I wouldnt wear a poppy if you paid me. Yes originally it was a symbol of lost lives in WW1 or WW2 but its been extended to soldiers who have lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan which surely implies Ireland too.

The Irish soldiers that went to the World wars went on a promise of home rule. They died then never got it.

The British army was responsible for a famine that halved the population of Ireland and thats before you start taking into account how many they killed when they actually started using bullets. For anyone that thinks the Famine was caused by a potato blight please pick up a history book. The British army withdrew under military garrison enough food to feed 18 million people over the 5 years the famine occured. Ireland had a population of 8 million.

Anyone who expects an Irishman to wear a poppy should go and try sell them on the streets of Iraq and Afghanistan because it makes about that much sense to expect the Irish to wear one.

When your done, why dont you suggest that the Palestinian national team wear the Star of David on their kits for the next International match?

To be fair they shift quite a few poppies in Afganistan.

End of the thread. Top post.

The same James McLean who said he couldnt play for Northern Ireland,his country off birth because any time he had played at Windsor Park before they were flying the countries flag,and fans sang songs he didn't like.It was pointed out at this stage that he had never actually set foot inside the ground never mind play there.He's a Republican bigot,end off,and i don't reckon he's got much up top.

The same James McLean who said he couldnt play for Northern Ireland,his country off birth because any time he had played at Windsor Park before they were flying the countries flag,and fans sang songs he didn't like.It was pointed out at this stage that he had never actually set foot inside the ground never mind play there.He's a Republican bigot,end off,and i don't reckon he's got much up top.

admit it, you would be happier if no catholics played for Northern Ireland and "our wee country" was 100% prod.

you should be celebrating the fact he doesn't play for ye. You're one step closer to white supremacy.