You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you regard this season as a write-off?

Kevin D

101 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing you wanted Kenny to remain in charge and are upset by the manner in which he left. I can understand that, because I wanted him to be able to show that last season was badly derailed by loads of freak occurrences. Here's the thing though. If Rodgers were still to be here next season, will you write us off then too? Even if things pick up substantially this season?

I wanted Benitez to stay in charge. A little part of my love of LFC died the day he was sacked. When Dalglish was sacked that was pretty much the final straw.

We then bring in an unproven manager who talks a good game but has yet to back up what he says. I told anyone who'd listen (not many of course) that Rogers wouldn't last long past Christmas the day he was announced as our manager. I've never had faith in him and he is yet to give me any reason to believe to have any.

If things pick up I'll be happy to say I was wrong. I just can't see it happenening

Over the last 2 or 3 seasons we have developed the unfortunate habit of not winning many games at Anfield. This is clearly just a mental issue because we have been the better team 75-80% of the time. Once this is rectified we will be all right, by alright I mean 4th is possible. Players and fans are turning up at Anfield hoping to win, the days of expecting to win seem a long time ago but they will return, they just have too.

I'm not dilussional, I know we're in a bad place right now but so are Newcastle (injuries galore and Cisse not scoring), Spurs (only 2 strikers, both good but neither has a patch on Luis) and Arsenal (3 strikers, all shit and about to lose Walcott). I'm working on the presumption that WBA and West Ham will just fuck off down the table so that only leaves Everton who look strong. They are going well but their squad is as thin as ours, they will fall away because they're Everton.

We only have a handful of games to get through before we can add reinforcements, if we can continue our little unbeaten run then confidence will grow and Rodgers will be in a strong position to get FSG to cough some cash.

Well here are Brendan's thoughts on it.

"Last year the club finished eighth. If we can improve on that, that would be fantastic in terms of where we're at. That's the reality of where Liverpool are at, I'm afraid."

I think we had several options and we chose the riskiest one. The options were keep the existing manager, appoint another experienced winner, appoint someone who would work with the existing squad and tweak it, rather than rip it up. Then the other options were young manager and DOF or young manager and give him free reign.

We chose the wrong one and we will pay with it for results. At least we can look forward to getting Suarez wages off the wage-bill next summer, as he is far too good to playing for such an unambitious club. Ask yourself this question if Gerrard was five years younger, he would rightly be on his phone to his agent, I'm a top class footballer get me out of here.

Any player who signs will in Jan will not get c/l football for at least a season and a half. A lot of the signals we sending out are very worrying.

We are at the stage now where players will see us as a stepping stone.

Overall we are in purgatory watching time pass by. I haven't chose to right the season off but the owners poor decisions are responsible for the situation. Now I look forward to Rodgers and the owners talking up the cups soon without a hint of irony.

This whole concept of 'writing off' a season is bollocks I think.

Yes we're writing off wining the league but that's not been the aim for years.

In any season the target has to be tangiable progression which is what we're still very much capable of achieving, so in no way is this season a write off.

• 2 weeks later...

Not writing anything off.

You'd expect the January transfer dealings to reflect the fact that no team has looked particularly good in that race for fourth. At the start of the season i thought we'd have no chance of fourth and a Europa league via the league would be a good performance.

I'd still be happy with that, but there are lot of supposedly top teams capable of playing badly this season, and if we make sure we're not one of them we could push forward.

And the Europa League is a great competition to be a part of and i hope we are until at least the latter stages.

• 1 month later...

We have had the ownership of Moores, Hicks and Gillett and now FSG. They have all royally fucked up this once great club.I have been going to the game for nigh on 50 years now and frankly I'm reaching the point where I am wondering why I bother. We are a mid table club playing OK football with no imminent prospect of returning to our glory days. The atmosphere at Anfield now is dire. We are outsung by the away support as we sit on our hands waiting for something-for fucks sake Anything-to happen to get us off our seats. For the privilege of being there I am charged £40 and upwards . I now have to walk miles to get to the ground or pay an extortioniate car park fee on top of my extortionate ticket. Why the fuck did FSG buy us if they weren't prepared to fund a huge upgrade in player ability. In my time I have seen us win so many league titles and cups that I have lost count. I am 65 now and wonder if I will ever see one again in my life. My 22 year old son has never seen us win the league. We are deluding ourselves if we believe we are still a great club. We are a mid table club with a great history , badly managed and run frankly going nowhere at the moment. LFC has been the love of my love. Definitely thinking about separation and maybe divorce now. Tragic. My once great club reduced to this state.

Fuck writing off a season. No other manager was allowed to just be shit for a whole season, and neither should Rodgers.

Why didn't we just write off last season and keep Kenny in charge?

I pay to go nearly every week so i'll never accept just having a season where winning doesn't matter.

This season is about progress. That should be measured on consistency after Christmas (no more of these stuffings against the likes of Villa and West Brom) and the ins and outs so our squad is in a place next summer where we dont need to do a great deal. A little trip to Amsterdam in May would be nice also.

I personally find it very difficult to write a season off at the start of November. We're not fucking Everton.

This.

No season is a "write-off". Obviously, it's meant to be a season of rebuilding, but that doesn't mean we can't challenge for things. If our supposedly senior players had shown up for the League Cup game against Swansea, we'd have been in with a reasonable shout of winning that; we are still in Europe; we have a decent start to the FA Cup; and (most importantly) despite shooting ourselves in the foot on transfer deadline day, we are still only a few points from fourth (which is the best we could ever have hoped for, given the way the billionaires have got the top three places obviously stitched up).

We have had the ownership of Moores' date=' Hicks and Gillett and now FSG. They have all royally fucked up this once great club.I have been going to the game for nigh on 50 years now and frankly I'm reaching the point where I am wondering why I bother. We are a mid table club playing OK football with no imminent prospect of returning to our glory days. The atmosphere at Anfield now is dire. We are outsung by the away support as we sit on our hands waiting for something-for fucks sake Anything-to happen to get us off our seats. For the privilege of being there I am charged £40 and upwards . I now have to walk miles to get to the ground or pay an extortioniate car park fee on top of my extortionate ticket. Why the fuck did FSG buy us if they weren't prepared to fund a huge upgrade in player ability. In my time I have seen us win so many league titles and cups that I have lost count. I am 65 now and wonder if I will ever see one again in my life. My 22 year old son has never seen us win the league. We are deluding ourselves if we believe we are still a great club. We are a mid table club with a great history , badly managed and run frankly going nowhere at the moment. LFC has been the love of my love. Definitely thinking about separation and maybe divorce now. Tragic. My once great club reduced to this state.[/quote']

I feel your pain. Many great great clubs have been consigned to the history books. Death by mediocrity is not a pretty sight. It's a slow, lingering cancerous end. Only time will let us know if Liverpool FC is on death row.

In truth, no season is a 'write off' - the season starts and we watch it unfold, week in , week out...the trick, grasshopper, is to remain detached - each game treated as a separate entity; some nourishing to the soul, some toxic. Football, that unique time warping game that I have a love/hate relationship with. Is the best behind us? That's the six million dollar question.

As soon as we sacked the manager who had brought us our first silverware in six years and replaced him with someone who has scarcely more managerial experience than I do, then it was clear this season would be a complete and utter write-off.

That said, even I didn't anticipate just how awful it would be. Once we're safe from relegation (might be a while, admittedly) we might as well just field youth players, because that's all this season has been good for: bringing youngsters through.

What a defeatest attitude.

We're only 7 points off 4th. Now I don't believe we'll finish top 4 but, with a couple of decent signings in January and Borini coming back I don't see why we cant finish top 6 this season and have a good run in the cups aswell.

We have had the ownership of Moores, Hicks and Gillett and now FSG. They have all royally fucked up this once great club.I have been going to the game for nigh on 50 years now and frankly I'm reaching the point where I am wondering why I bother. We are a mid table club playing OK football with no imminent prospect of returning to our glory days. The atmosphere at Anfield now is dire. We are outsung by the away support as we sit on our hands waiting for something-for fucks sake Anything-to happen to get us off our seats. For the privilege of being there I am charged £40 and upwards . I now have to walk miles to get to the ground or pay an extortioniate car park fee on top of my extortionate ticket. Why the fuck did FSG buy us if they weren't prepared to fund a huge upgrade in player ability. In my time I have seen us win so many league titles and cups that I have lost count. I am 65 now and wonder if I will ever see one again in my life. My 22 year old son has never seen us win the league. We are deluding ourselves if we believe we are still a great club. We are a mid table club with a great history , badly managed and run frankly going nowhere at the moment. LFC has been the love of my love. Definitely thinking about separation and maybe divorce now. Tragic. My once great club reduced to this state.

Shall we jack it all in and go and support Man City ?

At least you saw the glory years unfold in front of you ,you must have some great memories , most of us were kids or not even born when we last won the league.

These owners did fund/make funds available for a huge upgrade in player ability , we all know what happened , im certainly no cheerleader for them but we have shelled out a fair old whack on players since they have been here , barring an Abromovich/Mansour owner i cant see what else we are supposed to do apart from spending a lot more wisely.

We can get back up amongst it again but now we have no choice but to be patient and hope it comes together again.

• 1 month later...