You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone can't see that Sterling is an ace little player with bags of potential, I would say it devalues any opinion they have ever had on football.

I doubt anyone is doubting his potential Zig, but that does not mean we should not be able toi discuss his current contributions without having to make things up to make him look better than he actually is.

He is a kid, I dont expect him to do much and every goal he scores or set up is a bonus for me, I think we should ease him in a bit more though as it is right now I think it could be useful for him to not play the full 90 minutes every game.

And to be totally honest, what has actually impressed me most with Sterling is how hard he works and that he's not afraid to tackle.

And to be totally honest, what has actually impressed me most with Sterling is how hard he works and that he's not afraid to tackle.

A great point, his work rate off the ball, especially when he loses it is exemplary and his defensive cover is way better than many who have been praised for it - in fact chosen for it- in the recent past. In addition, he has made very good decisions in possession, has an outstanding first touch and close control in traffic and has displayed more talent from the standstill on the ball and running at men than almost anyone we have had in the last decade. And he's 17, and played his way into the 11 and the senior setup.

A great point, his work rate off the ball, especially when he loses it is exemplary and his defensive cover is way better than many who have been praised for it - in fact chosen for it- in the recent past. In addition, he has made very good decisions in possession, has an outstanding first touch and close control in traffic and has displayed more talent from the standstill on the ball and running at men than almost anyone we have had in the last decade. And he's 17, and played his way into the 11 and the senior setup.

Totally agrëe, having genuine pace is obviously an asset both when attacking and defending so its great to see him use it.

I love Sterling, but I understand a lot of people think I have a problem with him because I have tried to be objective when describing his contributions so far and not gone totally overboard like a few others.

Talk me through his assists please, maybe that way you better can understand the error of your ways.

V Norwich

Sterling passes ball to Gerrard, Gerrard scores.

V Sunderland

Sterling cosses ball to Suarez,hits defender Suarez scores.

V Wigan

1.Sterling nicks ball then passes to Suarez, Suarez scores.

2. Sterling shoots, keeper palms it straight to Enrique. Enrique scores.

V Norwich

Sterling passes ball to Gerrard, Gerrard scores.

V Sunderland

Sterling cosses ball to Suarez,hits defender Suarez scores.

V Wigan

1.Sterling nicks ball then passes to Suarez, Suarez scores.

2. Sterling shoots, keeper palms it straight to Enrique. Enrique scores.

Sunderland: Not an assists, the ball comes from the defender Sterling could not get the ball past.

Norwich: Not an assist, Gerrard did not score, it was an own goal.

Wigan 2: Sterling cant beat the keeper with a shite shot, the keeper punch the ball to Suarez, not an assist either.

You are not very good at this are you? When did we start to hand out assists to the player with the third last touch on the ball?

Sterling has got one goal against reading and he got his first assists against Wigan.

The end.

Sunderland: Not an assists, the ball comes from the defender Sterling could not get the ball past.

Wigan 2: Sterling cant beat the keeper with a shite shot, the keeper punch the ball to Suarez, not an assist either.

You are not very good at this are you? When did we start to hand out assists to the player with the third last touch on the ball?

Sterling has got one goal against reading and he got his first assists against Wigan.

The end.

ooo you can't let it the dog biscuit of truth go can you, you little terrier!

IMG_6978.jpeg

The end.

It's not the end though is it really?

Different sources define assists differently, some say the last direct uninterrupted pass, some say the last player to touch the ball on your team.

You're right by your measure and he's right by his.

End of the day it's a bit boring and doesn't matter

Different sources define assists differently, some say the last direct uninterrupted pass, some say the last player to touch the ball on your team.

Correct.

He's a 17 year old lad, he played a huge part in all 4 goals, even if you don't class them as assists, you should appreciate the contribution to each goal that he made.

Irt really, really is.

So Sterling is getting assists both for getting the second last touch and the third last touch, interesting.

Does this count for other players as well?

Maybe we should start to credit the goals to the player with the second last touch then if the one with the third last touch gets the assists, the problem is what we shall credit the actual goalscorer with.

A definition of an assist;

In association football, an assist is a contribution by a player which helps to score a goal. Statistics for assists made by players may be kept officially by the organisers of a competition, or unofficially by, for example, journalists or organisers of fantasy football competitions. Recording assists is not part of the official Laws of the Game and the criteria for an assist to be awarded may vary.

Most commonly, an assist is credited to a player for passing or crossing the ball to the scorer. It may also be awarded to a player whose shot rebounds (off a defender, goalkeeper or goalpost) to a teammate who scores; or to a player who wins a penalty kick for another player to convert. An attacking player may be awarded an assist for contributing to an own goal. Players cannot be awarded an assist for a goal they themselves score. Usually one but a maximum of two players can be awarded assists per goal.

No, That was a general definition.

So If you only class the last player to make a direct pass to the goalscorer, that means if Brad Jones or Pepe Reina throws the ball to Suarez in his own half, he then runs down the other end of the field goes past midfielders and defenders, then scores, you would class that as more of an assist?

Take a look at some real sites mate and accept you are wrong and what you are vouching for is stupid.

Playerinfo |Telegraph

Sesongstatistikk - Liverpool.no - YNWA

Premier League - Player Statistics

Raheem Sterling Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN FC

The only place with any credentials Sterling has got more than one assist is on Official Site of the Premier League | premierleague.com but they have not changed the Gerrard own goal yet end because of that sterling is credited with another assist.