You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW History Thread

Lee909

• 2 weeks later...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentinian_I

Without waiting for the spring, Valentinian decided to continue campaigning and moved from Savaria to Brigetio. Once he arrived on 17 November, he received a deputation from the Quadi. In return for supplying fresh recruits to the Roman army, the Quadi were to be allowed to leave in peace. However, before the envoys left they were granted an audience with Valentinian. They insisted that the conflict was caused by the building of Roman forts in their lands; furthermore individual bands of Quadi were not necessarily bound to the rule of the chiefs who had made treaties with the Romans – and thus might attack the Romans at any time. This attitude so enraged Valentinian that on 17 November 375,[50]while angrily yelling at the envoys, he suffered a fatal stroke.[51]

• 5 weeks later...

As one does.

“Once arrived in Asia, he (Alexander) went up to Troy, sacrificed to Athena and poured libations to the heroes of the Greek army. He smeared himself with oil and ran a race naked with his companions, as the custom is, and then crowned with a wreath the column which marks the grave of Achilles”

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thought this was quite interesting 

The breakdown on nationality of the crew on HMS Victory at Trafalgar 

20220916_170243.jpg

Many of the 'non' British sailors in the RN around those times were frequently sailors on 'enemy' ships that had been captured or sunk. They tended to be given the option of going to prison camp, executed or serve in the navy where they'd get paid, 3 square meals a day and watered.

Unsurprisingly, many chose to join the navy.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Many of the 'non' British sailors in the RN around those times were frequently sailors on 'enemy' ships that had been captured or sunk. They tended to be given the option of going to prison camp, executed or serve in the navy where they'd get paid, 3 square meals a day and watered.

Unsurprisingly, many chose to join the navy.

I get that's, but most of the nationalities on that list are friendly states in the early 1800s. 

But it's like the Korean Yang Kyoungjong

He was a member of the Korean Japanese,Russian and German armies before he was captured at Normandy. Caught and constripted into each force

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I get that's, but most of the nationalities on that list are friendly states in the early 1800s. 

But it's like the Korean Yang Kyoungjong

He was a member of the Korean Japanese,Russian and German armies before he was captured at Normandy. Caught and constripted into each force

Yes. I guess some were press ganged, plain mercenaries or may in turn been serving on Spanish or pirate ships.

Yeah other nationalities isn't unusual. Just found the amount interesting especially on the Victory and Nelson own crew. 

Mind you the Wellington army make up is interesting. Out of around 120,000 total only 31,000 were British army. Of that 6 thousand are German(KGL) of the 25,000 British, its 6/7,000 Scots and between 30-40%  of the remaining were Irish, Inc Wellington. I know all would be classed as British at the time but it really shows how non English soldiers did large amounts of carrying the army compared to the Navy

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Don't know about the navy but I think it was common for the armies during the Napoleonic wars to have quite a few foreigners in their ranks. Nation state was still a relatively new concept at the time. Italy and Germany didn't even exist.

Yeah, we have a tendency to think of states and borders as these immutable things, but they've generally been in constant flux over the centuries. If you go back a mere 3,000 years, I think there's only one country in the same location, inhabited by the same people speaking the same language, as today.

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Yeah, we have a tendency to think of states and borders as these immutable things, but they've generally been in constant flux over the centuries. If you go back a mere 3,000 years, I think there's only one country in the same location, inhabited by the same people speaking the same language, as today.

Iceland? Probably not. A Pacific island maybe? 

22 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah other nationalities isn't unusual. Just found the amount interesting especially on the Victory and Nelson own crew. 

Mind you the Wellington army make up is interesting. Out of around 120,000 total only 31,000 were British army. Of that 6 thousand are German(KGL) of the 25,000 British, its 6/7,000 Scots and between 30-40%  of the remaining were Irish, Inc Wellington. I know all would be classed as British at the time but it really shows how non English soldiers did large amounts of carrying the army compared to the Navy

Bloody foreigners coming over here writing our history and winning wars.

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The most mind blowing thing is the amount of sailors on HMS Victory. 700 odd? It must have stunk. I know it was cramped anyway. 

Fascinating fact, a 'tow rag' was a piece of cloth attached to a sheet (rope) that dangled in the water behind the naval and other sailing ships. When the sailors wanted a shit, the dumped direct into the sea, pulled in the 'tow rag,' hence called because it was towed by the ship, wiped their arse on it then lowered in back into the sea to clean off for the next sailor to use!

The term has since become part of the venacular as an insult as 'toe rag.'