You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW History Thread

Lee909

Not sure if this will take off or not but its worth a try.

Anyone else have a interest in history be it Military or any other type.

[YOUTUBE]u0LamXQ39EQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]9lNiOf0SYKg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PL46EF024B97AF4D06[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XsW3q0oWhxM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1Q8MF6I9Tw4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0VPkHytuyKQ&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]erZ2YidTZp4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zNea8FYTbUs[/YOUTUBE]

TheHistoryOf

PodOmatic | Podcast - History of the Crusades

BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time

Ignore those bad bastards, Kal-El. Lurtzy's away this weekend but I'm sure he'll be onto this when he sees it

FWIW my own random musings....

My own interest in history is much more of the social and recent kind (probably because I'm a girl). I studied Economic and Social History at uni.

However, I get most of my history from tv these days and do find myself increasingly irritated by presenters who extrapolate whole lives for people/cities from tiny fragments of pottery.

While just saying I like recent history I enjoyed the recent programme presented by Alice Roberts and George McGavin where they carried out detailed examinations of a number of ancient skeletons to discover more about their evolutionary development and lifestyles

If anyone ever gets chance to read a book or watch a documentary about the battle for Stalingrad, then do so.

One of, if not the most bloodiest of battles ever fought. The amount of human suffering endured by the Russian army, the German army and the civilian population in one 6 month period is enough to remind anyone what war was and is really like and why we should never tread those same footsteps again. Horrifying is putting it mildly.

Enjoy!

If anyone ever gets chance to read a book or watch a documentary about the battle for Stalingrad, then do so.

One of, if not the most bloodiest of battles ever fought. The amount of human suffering endured by the Russian army, the German army and the civilian population in one 6 month period is enough to remind anyone what war was and is really like and why we should never tread those same footsteps again. Horrifying is putting it mildly.

Enjoy!

Beevor's book will take some beating.

Enjoy!

Some great cinema based on this battle and none more so than the German film of the same name made in 1992.

Give it a watch if you havent seen it before.

Some great cinema based on this battle and none more so than the German film of the same name made in 1992.

Give it a watch if you havent seen it before.

Seconded, it's one of the best war movies I've ever seen.

Stalingrad (1993) - IMDb

I would love to do a course and learn Modern History, but fuck knows where to start a free or decently priced distance learning course while working full time.

If I could go back in time when I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do in my life I could've really got into history and tried to make a teaching career out of it.

Not sure if this will take off or not but its worth a try.

Anyone else have a interest in history be it Military or any other type.

[YOUTUBE]u0LamXQ39EQ[/YOUTUBE]

Hey, that's my old tutor at 35:35!

Partly because of him, I've got a big interest in British medieval history, particularly the 11th century. Fascinating period; battles, politicking, massive governmental and cultural upheaval. Also love Roman imperial history, and the British 15th century.

There was a Big Bang thingy, then a few dinosaurs appeared but died so then a few mammals appeared and some of them died but some stayed alive. Then humans appeared and tried to kill all the other mammals but got bored so tried to kill each other in some massive fucking wars but it didn't work so they tried to destroy the earth... The end.

All kidding aside Kal-El this is a great idea for a thread. I love history. I'm not sure if WW2 is your thing but my dad had this collection on video when I was a kid and it is brilliant. Must try and get the dvd set if there is one

The World at War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Part of my growing up watching this on a Sunday afternoon . Epic series in all senses of the word