You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Secret Santa 2012

Juniper

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tis defintiley one of the best Secret Santas i've recieved. I still have them all but only one or two get played again, this will be another one.

I should fucking think so :)

You said Daphni reminded you of Caribou. It's half of Caribou. Good call.

By the way, to the maker of mine, I'll be listening to it in full again tomorrow. I'm not giving up on it, the review was first impressions.

I should fucking think so :)

You said Daphni reminded you of Caribou. It's half of Caribou. Good call.

By the way, to the maker of mine, I'll be listening to it in full again tomorrow. I'm not giving up on it, the review was first impressions.

Aha nice one, yeah it's a great track. Cheers again for the C.D some great stuff on it.

I will have my review up soon enough, just been absolutely chocker trying to do a million things (well, about five) at once. Apologies to my not so Secret Santa.

I would also like to add that Shabazz Palaces are fucking ace!

I think after this weekend is more than an ample enough time to send/review.

....the 10th of jan is taking liberties as it is!

I might be wrong but I thought we always gave January to complete reviews? I realise I'm saying this as someone with a review still to do.

Firstly, thanks Santa - this is a cracking collection of tunes, admittedly I was familiar with all of them to some extent but it takes nothing away from the quality. This has been in the car for the past couple of weeks and gone down well with both me and herself.

First impressions, the title is A-Ha!!!!!! TLW Secret Santa 2012 with a big picture of Alan Partridge on the front; the artwork looks to have been roughly ripped to size, so my immediate thoughts are that it comes from someone that doesn't own scissors. Not sure if that poll has ever featured on the GF but it'd make this a bit easier if so.

So, here we go.

1. Joy Division - She's Lost Control

Everyone knows what Joy Division are about, this is a dark, solemn record, Curtis' sombre tones set to a mechanical drum beat. It's a great track but a moody album opener.

2. Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

Led Zep, classic. Again, this is exactly what you expect from these boys, serious guitar licks, odd timing and some cowbell - what more could you ask for from a rock and roll single?

3. Foals - Unthink This

I've really tried with this band, I loved Spanish Sahara when that was released as the first single from their second (I think) album so I went and bought their debut. Sounds like it's trying to be too clever by half and a bit dull. Probably the weakest track here, for me.

4. Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

A bit more pop than my usual diet, this is one I've heard before without knowing who it was. Nice vocals over an electric drum beat and strings, decent effort and the missus likes it a lot.

5. Pulp - Common Pulp

Yes. YES! I absolutely love this, one of the first songs I really remember from my youth and it's lost none of it's quality over the years. A wonderful tale of modern life (18 years ago!) and when it kicks in around 1:45 I struggle not to throw some indie shapes. Jarvis is a proper legend too, which being an adopted Sheffielder I have to say, I have the utmost respect for Pulp and this is the highlight of the album.

6. I'm a Scatman - Scatman John

One I remember from my teens, I always assumed this was a novelty record. The verses are a bit pedestrian but the chorus is catchy if not a bit silly!

7. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry

Another classic track, The Cure aren't a band I know a lot about but I know I like this. Great intro riff, the middle of this album is turning my front room in to an indie disco.

8. The Smiths - This Charming Man

I'm almost tempted to deduct a point for having the title down as This Charmless Man but I'll forgive it on the basis that this is a stone cold classic. There's little to add to what has been said about this record over the years other than I love it. It keeps the white boy swaying with his head down dance going.

9. Phil Oakey - Together in Electric Dreams

The 80s vibe continues with some electro synth pop and another classic British pop record, Oakey is another local hero that I'm contractually obliged to like.

10. Ultravox - Vienna

Carrying on the electro sound, I recently heard that this synthpop anthem was voted 'the best single never to reach number 1' - which is probably bollocks but it's a great track. Slow pace throughout, it starts very minimal but builds up and up, finishing on what could easily be a the soundtrack to an 80s video game. This kills the indie disco vibe but wait, what's this....

11. The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored

*Puts on floppy hat, does Ian Brown (musician not forumite) swagger*

Tuuuuuune. Much to The Prof's disdain, I love The Stone Roses. I grew up listening to Oasis and that British rock scene, these were obviously hugely influential and when I first discovered the debut album it blew all the modern acts out of the water. A great album closer.

Overall, pretty pleased with that and I apologise that the review is a little late.

I'm sure the postage stamp was from Ireland but other than that I don't know who it's from - could it be RobbieOR for the second year in a row? Or joeyk?

My CD off Karl:

I should start off by saying that, as Karl pointed out above, this CD is mostly completely outside my musical tastes. It's not that I don't like rock/guitar music; it's just that I find so much of it bland, unoriginal and soulless. However, I've given this a good go and here's my review:

1. The National - Fake Empire: A very moody/atmospheric piano and vocal opening before drums and (double?) bass kick in. Strings then build as it goes on. Not melodic enough for me, unfortunately.

2. Midlake - Roscoe (Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve Remix): Great fucking name for a remix (although I don't get it in this context). Some slight psychedelic vibes in the guitars and I certainly detect a big Thom Yorke influence in the vocal. However, it neither rocks out or tunes up enough for me.

3. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp: Nice weird bleepy electronic start, but then the slightly waily/plaintive vocal kicks in before the tune breaks down into something slightly reggae beat influenced. Not pushing my buttons, even if the horns elevate it later on.

4. Deerhunter - Memory Boy: sub-60s/late Beach Boys type tune that's fine as far as it goes; quite poppy.

5. Bright eyes - From A Balance Beam: quite interesting take on a guitar tune. It almost takes a looping approach to its structure with the stop/start riff. The vocal is genuinely tuneless though; it always amazes me that so many musicians who really can't sing have such successful careers.

6. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II: a synth-pop type thing with a female vocal. I know little about these other than that they're widely lauded but I don't get the appeal from this tune. It feels very plodding to my ears.

7. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz: great intro like a weird orchestral tune up with all sorts of choral vocals going on. I love mad shit like this. However, the main vocal then brings it back down to earth with a bump for me. Too fey/bland. The weird shit carries on throughout which is ace, but vocals like this just don't do it for me, sorry. It's certainly original though which is a big plus point. It's dead long too and I like artists who aren't afraid to do that. The breakdown at the end to just vocal and guitar sounds really nice after the preceding noise as well.

8. Grizzly Bear - Yet Again: melodic, American-sounding gentle guitar pop. It's fine; just not my brew.

9. Sharon Van Etten - Serpents: slide guitar and bombastic drumming with a female vocal. I'm not a fan of wailing vocals; for me, all the great rock vocalists, whether male or female, have a soul-influence. This is more folk influenced though.

10. Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow: tempo steps up here and the driving drum/piano beat behind the insistent guitar riff is good. I've always liked the idea of this band but the vocal seems a little tame compared to my (admittedly ignorant) expectations of them.

11. Death From Above 1979 - Little Girl: fucking brilliant rock riff to open this and keep the CD tempo up. This is clearly a three-piece and the pared-down simplicity of the tune really works. Not something I'd listen to again, but it's deffo a head-nodder and one I wouldn't zap forward on x30 when watching Jools Holland.

12. The Velvet Teen - Noi Boi: Not really sure how to categorise this to be honest. Loads of stuff in the mix here, but it's not for me.

13. Bob Dylan - Pay In Blood: I fucking hate Bob Dylan's voice, but this is far more tuneful than his usual awful atonal wail. In fact, it's a really great Blues vocal. The tune is totally inoffensive, but it has happily shown me that there is at least something in the Bob Dylan legend I can relate to. Ta.

14. Jack White - Freedom at 21: now this bloke is the real fucking deal; a genuine musical genius in my view whose love of black American music suffuses everything he does to a greater or lesser degree. This is less my cup of tea than some of the more overtly Blues and hip hop influenced-rock of his I've heard, but I still love him. Anyone who tours with two entirely different backing bands on the same tour, has been a member of three different bands of his own and writes a James Bond theme is a bone fide legend for me.

15. Bill Wells & Aidan Moffet - (If You) Keep Me In Your Heart: another example of brilliant musicianship undermined by wilfully half-arsed vocals, in my view. I know that's supposed to be the point, but it irritates me. The heavily-emphasised Scottish accent I totally get; the not bothering to sing in tune, I don't.

16. Laura Marling - Hope In The Air: as with most things on here, I can appreciate its quality, but I just can't relate to it. Very folk-influenced and not in a way that appeals to me.

17. Sigur Ros - Untitled 3: very atmospheric instrumental music that is right for a CD closer.

Karl, I thank you kindly for your efforts that have exemplified the work of some people I constantly hear about without actually hearing. I can't pretend this was anywhere near my taste (which you already knew anyway), but it did everything Secret Santa is supposed to do, so thanks mate; much appreciated.

Paul, I wanted to give you a proper response for your review.

I was seriously intimidated when I found out I'd drawn you - the contrast in tastes and me knowing your feelings on guitar music made this hard.

I didn't always pick my favourites by particular artists, instead trying to gauge what I thought might go down better in the Oxton Soul World - in hindsight I'd have thrown a different Arcade Fire track in, probably one of the stompers such as this:

[YOUTUBE]FK2IAyCuJ4U[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think I was ever going to get away from the fact that you have so much love for soulful vocals and that just doesn't appear on so much of the music I listen to.

Really appreciate a top review and giving the album a go, thanks mate.

Ah yeah, sorry Mr McGonical - I had it in my head that you were 2 years ago. By way of an apology, how about I stick you a copy of my selection for Paul in the post (you've still not received, right)? Might give you a few new tunes to listen to - won't be offended if you say no!

Cheers Robbie, must be tricky getting someone twice, you have to completely change up. Your choices would suggest you're older than you actually are, you love 80s/early 90s stuff!

Ah yeah' date=' sorry Mr McGonical - I had it in my head that you were 2 years ago. By way of an apology, how about I stick you a copy of my selection for Paul in the post (you've still not received, right)? Might give you a few new tunes to listen to - won't be offended if you say no!

Cheers Robbie, must be tricky getting someone twice, you have to completely change up. Your choices would suggest you're older than you actually are, you love 80s/early 90s stuff![/quote']

Please, call me Skids. And no need to apologise.

Nice one mate. I will drop you a PM with my

address.

I hope my secret santa is looking on in shame at your act of goodwill. I will even do a review of it too.

Ah yeah, sorry Mr McGonical - I had it in my head that you were 2 years ago. By way of an apology, how about I stick you a copy of my selection for Paul in the post (you've still not received, right)? Might give you a few new tunes to listen to - won't be offended if you say no!

Cheers Robbie, must be tricky getting someone twice, you have to completely change up. Your choices would suggest you're older than you actually are, you love 80s/early 90s stuff!

Yeah, very tricky. I try not to use the same songs though. I've tried to get into modern stuff but I dont really know where to start.

Sorry about the artwork, too. I made a mess of it.

The cover art of mine is a cartoon depicting “Galileo the star-gazer and his younger, cooler brother the shoe-gazer.” The tunes are very much the younger brother’s, being the kind of thing heard in the University of Salford in the 21st Century, rather than the University of Pisa in the 17th. The theme is lo-fi, laid back, unpolished guitar tunes. Which is nice.

1. Ride - Vapour Trail

Riffy, student, floaty-vocals sort of thing. Pleasant.

2. Dinosaur Jr. - Pond Song

Same description as the first, but the whole thing is more distorted and edgy - a bit more my kind of thing.

3. Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

I don’t mind a bit of Radiohead (in moderation) but I’m far from their biggest fan. That said, I like this - more floaty vocals, this time, drifting over a twangy Personal Jesus style guitar riff.

4. The Sinking Feeling - The The

The The have a great knack for making you feel dirty. I approve.

5. 7/4 (Shoreline) - Broken Social Scene

This feels like it could be a slow-burning grower. For now, I’ll say it’s just OK.

6. Une Année Sans Lumière - Arcade Fire

Odd one, this. Drifts along, pleasantly and inoffensively, then goes a bit mad for the last 30 seconds. That’s my favourite bit.

7. The State I Am In - Belle and Sebastian

Pretty melody, catchy hook and faintly sordid lyrics. I heartily approve.

8. Daydreamin’ - Lupe Fiasco

This is the first track on here I’ve actually heard before. Unfortunately, it’s not one I like. It sounds like it belongs as the soundtrack of an advert. That is not a good thing.

9. Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National

Much more like it. Nasty drums, dirty vocals, vaguely menacing lyrics, extremely unlikely to appear on an advert.

10. Waltz #2 (x0) - Elliott Smith

Country-tinged waltz. Nice.

11. Emma’s House - The Field Mice

This smells of weed and loneliness, like a student’s bedroom.

12. Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads

The other track I’d heard before. Fortunately, it’s a classic. If you don’t like this, you don’t deserve ears.

13. Memory Boy - Deerhunter

One of the more polished tracks, bounces along nicely, sounding catchy and Sixties-ish. Which is a good thing.

14. Pink Triangle - Weezer

Nice, rocky romp through a tale of thwarted love for a chick who digs chicks. Rough-arse guitars, well-twatted drums, strangulated vocals and slightly-warped lyrics. I approve.

15. River - Joni Mitchell

This is perfect. I’m surprised I’d never heard this before. It’s a classic, Christmassy song of loss and longing. Just Joni’s crystal-pure voice soaring over a simple piano. Also, it has since come up on University Challenge, so I could answer a question smugly. Bliss.

16. All I Want - LCD Sound System

Back to the lo-fi, student sound. Nicely distorted sounds all over the place on this one, with hints of Bowie’s Heroes in there somewhere. Good stuff.

17. Young Man In America - Anais Mitchell

This is not a happy person. Edgy, dark, stripped-down, vaguely menacing, unsettling, with echoes of Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young. This passes the “would it be used in an advert” test. I can’t see the delightful Martine McCutcheon promoting “tummy loving care” to this.

18. Teen Angst - M83

Sad to end on a bum note, but this one falls flat, like a fish dying on a synthesiser.

Overall, though, I’m happy with this. It’s plugged some gaps in my knowledge (and pointed me in some potentially interesting directions.) I’ve been a bit tardy reviewing it, because it’s definitely mood music - and the mood in question is not “festive”. Definitely one for nights when I’ve got the house to myself and some whisky.

I don’t follow other people’s musical tastes closely enough to hazard a guess at who Santa is, but thank you anyway. Make yourself known and claim your rep, you wonderful, white-bearded sexpot, you.

The cover art of mine is a cartoon depicting “Galileo the star-gazer and his younger, cooler brother the shoe-gazer.” The tunes are very much the younger brother’s, being the kind of thing heard in the University of Salford in the 21st Century, rather than the University of Pisa in the 17th. The theme is lo-fi, laid back, unpolished guitar tunes. Which is nice.

1. Ride - Vapour Trail

Riffy, student, floaty-vocals sort of thing. Pleasant.

2. Dinosaur Jr. - Pond Song

Same description as the first, but the whole thing is more distorted and edgy - a bit more my kind of thing.

3. Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

I don’t mind a bit of Radiohead (in moderation) but I’m far from their biggest fan. That said, I like this - more floaty vocals, this time, drifting over a twangy Personal Jesus style guitar riff.

4. The Sinking Feeling - The The

The The have a great knack for making you feel dirty. I approve.

5. 7/4 (Shoreline) - Broken Social Scene

This feels like it could be a slow-burning grower. For now, I’ll say it’s just OK.

6. Une Année Sans Lumière - Arcade Fire

Odd one, this. Drifts along, pleasantly and inoffensively, then goes a bit mad for the last 30 seconds. That’s my favourite bit.

7. The State I Am In - Belle and Sebastian

Pretty melody, catchy hook and faintly sordid lyrics. I heartily approve.

8. Daydreamin’ - Lupe Fiasco

This is the first track on here I’ve actually heard before. Unfortunately, it’s not one I like. It sounds like it belongs as the soundtrack of an advert. That is not a good thing.

9. Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National

Much more like it. Nasty drums, dirty vocals, vaguely menacing lyrics, extremely unlikely to appear on an advert.

10. Waltz #2 (x0) - Elliott Smith

Country-tinged waltz. Nice.

11. Emma’s House - The Field Mice

This smells of weed and loneliness, like a student’s bedroom.

12. Road to Nowhere - Talking Heads

The other track I’d heard before. Fortunately, it’s a classic. If you don’t like this, you don’t deserve ears.

13. Memory Boy - Deerhunter

One of the more polished tracks, bounces along nicely, sounding catchy and Sixties-ish. Which is a good thing.

14. Pink Triangle - Weezer

Nice, rocky romp through a tale of thwarted love for a chick who digs chicks. Rough-arse guitars, well-twatted drums, strangulated vocals and slightly-warped lyrics. I approve.

15. River - Joni Mitchell

This is perfect. I’m surprised I’d never heard this before. It’s a classic, Christmassy song of loss and longing. Just Joni’s crystal-pure voice soaring over a simple piano. Also, it has since come up on University Challenge, so I could answer a question smugly. Bliss.

16. All I Want - LCD Sound System

Back to the lo-fi, student sound. Nicely distorted sounds all over the place on this one, with hints of Bowie’s Heroes in there somewhere. Good stuff.

17. Young Man In America - Anais Mitchell

This is not a happy person. Edgy, dark, stripped-down, vaguely menacing, unsettling, with echoes of Crosby, Stills, Nash and/or Young. This passes the “would it be used in an advert” test. I can’t see the delightful Martine McCutcheon promoting “tummy loving care” to this.

18. Teen Angst - M83

Sad to end on a bum note, but this one falls flat, like a fish dying on a synthesiser.

Overall, though, I’m happy with this. It’s plugged some gaps in my knowledge (and pointed me in some potentially interesting directions.) I’ve been a bit tardy reviewing it, because it’s definitely mood music - and the mood in question is not “festive”. Definitely one for nights when I’ve got the house to myself and some whisky.

I don’t follow other people’s musical tastes closely enough to hazard a guess at who Santa is, but thank you anyway. Make yourself known and claim your rep, you wonderful, white-bearded sexpot, you.

Ziggy Stardust, that.

CD I – FUNKY BOLLOCKS

I’d like to apologise in advance to my Santa as I know nothing about Hip-Hop, or music for that matter.

365 – Black Milk

Bad start, not really what I look for in hip-hop (I don’t actually know what that is, though).

Breakin’ the Chains Of Love – Fitz And The Tantrums

Like this a lot, soulful and fun.

Watchu’ Want from Me? – Homeboy Sandman

This has been a grower, liking it more with each listen. Going out on a limb here and saying that I prefer the flow of this guy. Don’t like the singing chorus though. Nor do I appreciate the piano.

Disparate Youth - Santigold

First one that I recognised instantly, pretty sure it’s from an advert. I listened this on the bus before, which the track strangely suited, but I’m going off it rapidly. A bit annoying.

Exhibit C – Jay Electronica

Another low point, this one falls very flat. Willing for it to end.

Some Place – Nick Waterhouse

Is this Blues? I’m not great with musical genres. Anyway, I probably wouldn’t chose to listen out of context from the CD, but it works here and provides a welcome lift.

Survival Tactics – Joey Bada$$ feat. Capital STEEZ

Decent again on the hip-hop front, living up to the CD’s funky title a bit more here. He has a very silly name though.

Didn’t I - Darondo

Nice soulful voice, but the song as a whole doesn’t grab me enough.

What It Is – The Cool Kids

Hip-hop again, not fond on this at all.

Our Generation – John Legend & The Roots

His voice is fucking great. Nice backing vocals with some decent rapping thrown in there too. A head-bobbing foot-tapper.

Gas Drawls – MF Doom

Fairly chilled out, which I initially just found to be a bit dull. It’s OK though, seems to be a grower.

Say So – Allen Stone

I quite like this, although I can see it beginning to grate after not too long. Decent cheesy pop song nonetheless.

Flexi With da Tech (Nique) – Artifacts

Really digging the beat. Could I even describe it as ‘funktastic’?

The First Cut Is The Deepest – P.P. Arnold

Good voice but the instrumentation irks me slightly. Not a bad tune though.

I'm Leaving - Mos Def

Liked it at first but I've gone off it, a shrinker. I don't know, perhaps it sounds a bit too glossy. Slightly disappointing end to an enjoyable enough CD.

Overall a very worthwhile listen, something new that pushed me out of my comfort zone. Definitely some tracks there that will prompt me to give the artists a further listen. I’ll also revisit the CD as a whole again as these are still relatively early impressions (didn’t give it as much play time as I’d planned), I already like it a lot more than I did after the first listen.

Going to give the second disc another go soon, will have the next review up in a bit.

Ziggy Stardust, that.

Yep.

Appreciate the review, AoT, quite a positive one too which is a bonus.

Interesting that the two tracks you didn't like are the ones I regret including in hindsight. As you say it wasn't a particularly jolly selection and I also thought it might have been a bit samey, so I think in trying to vary it a bit I ended up trying to be overly clever with it, including songs that didn't really belong there, something I've done every year.