You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fibre broadband

Kopite Pete

I'm thinking about getting fibre broadband as it's now in my area but I am torn between sky and BT Infinity, can anyone recommend either of these two for fibre broadband? :whistle:

Sky should be properly unlimited, I think Infinity's laden with the 'fair use' crap.

If you're planning on hammering the speed for all it's worth... and downloading a lot, then Sky might be the way to go (on the assumption it's truly unlimited).

I've got an unlimited BT Infinity account and so far it's been excellent, like many I was hugely nervous about what to expect from BT e.g crap unreliable service and capping. I tender to hammer the service with downloads and it's been great. I get about 62mb download and just over 20mb upload pretty consistently.

I've got an unlimited BT Infinity account and so far it's been excellent' date=' like many I was hugely nervous about what to expect from BT e.g crap unreliable service and capping. I tender to hammer the service with downloads and it's been great. I get about 62mb download and just over 20mb upload pretty consistently.[/quote']

Thanks both. Yeah I'm nervous about BT. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about them. Especially the foreign call centres.

I am with BT on their Infinity2 package. Unlimited downloads. Obviously your speed depends how far you are from the cabinet and if you have got aluminium cable rather than copper cable but service is reliable.

Also BT Care are on twitter, if necessary you can raise a support case with them and get excellent service from the lads and lasses who are based in Northern Ireland.

Cheers

Guest San Don

Sky's fibre BB is slightly lower speed than BT for some reason (I reckon its because they say there are absolutely no DL limits).

BT say I should get 51meg DL and so too do all the other providers for my exchange and cabinet. Sky say 40meg tops.

What fucks me off with sky is no matter what product you buy off them, you have to have all your existing sky boxes plugged into the telephone line for the 12 month contract even if you're not upgrading your tv packages. I mean if Im taking their broadband WTF do my 3 boxes have to be plugged into the phone line for 12 months?

Guest San Don
Thanks both. Yeah I'm nervous about BT. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about them. Especially the foreign call centres.

Have you tried calling sky in the evening!?

You get to speak to someone in Bangalore. Eventually!!