You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paco

What I'm saying is that one cross is not above overall play. But you are right, if Shelvey had scored Downing would have had a impact on the score. This however thats not make make his perforce better than Sterling.

Jose Enrique assisted Suarez today but his overall perforce has been, well not so good. Yes today he assisted, but this doesn't mean he was a good performer.

Not what I'm saying either, I just explained the fact Downing actually created more in his 20 minutes than what Sterling did in his 94 minutes.

Downing also put in 4 crosses while Sterling managed 3.

It was no criticism of Sterling but when people said Downing was a useless sub I found it appropiate to point out the fact above.

Sterling wasted a great chance to win us the game I've not mentioned it because I dont really expect him to score as I think his decision making is poor and he is not very good at finishing, every goal we can get from him is a bonus but still he play 90 minutes every week, its a bit strange.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks. You wouldn't know Anfield even if you were parachuted on to Walton Breck Rd with a road map, sat nav and a photo of the kop, you complete and utter phony.

Not only do I make most home games, but a fair few aways too, and have for decades.

Frankly, your lack of judgement comes as no surprise.;)

Familiar sight, said to my mate after about 15 minutes, it'll be 'pass, pass pass, concede.'

Didn't watch much of Swansea last season but am told they often got tanked away from home due to the fact they wanted to play so much footy but would get done on the break.

Not what I'm saying either, I just explained the fact Downing actually created more in his 20 minutes than what Sterling did in his 94 minutes.

Downing also put in 4 crosses while Sterling managed 3.

It was no criticism of Sterling but when people said Downing was a useless sub I found it appropiate to point out the fact above.

Sterling wasted a great chance to win us the game I've not mentioned it because I dont really expect him to score as I think his decision making is poor and he is not very good at finishing, every goal we can get from him is a bonus but still he play 90 minutes every week, its a bit strange.

so you would drop sterling and play downing instead is that your point?

Strange that Sterling plays every week? Who would you play instead of him?

Bollocks.

I'm with you. As for the game, does anybody know why we are playing a formation which prevents Gerrard from getting anywhere near the opposition penalty area. Its been the same under the last 3 managers. Rafa is the only manager to have played him as an attacking midfielder, his best position. Despite people thinking we are playing 433, you could clearly see today that Sahin (and later Shelvey) were playing ahead of Gerrard and Allen in more of a 4231. Its utter madness. The reason we scored so many goals in 08/09 (yes 2009 was only 3 years ago) was because Stevie was playing in behind a world class striker. Rodgers has not tried this at all. When we have virtually no goal threat apart from Suarez, surely you want Gerrard as high up the pitch as possible?

Guest San Don
I agree with the first paragraph, but thinks that your second insults your fellow supporters.

One home league win by November is disgraceful for ANY Liverpool Football Club side. Supporters shelling out £45+ a game are fully entitled to voice their dissatisfaction. I was at the game today. If Shelvey had been as skilful as Downing when he laid on that chance towards the end we would have won. Sterling is a favourite who makes mistakes, Wisdom was out of position a bit today ( although no more so than Johnson habitually is, it sjust that a few good forward runs induce collective amnesia in some).Both have everyone's backing- that doesn't mean you can't moan though. The Kop always has given stick for mistakes- nothing new there.

That'll be the 'fellow supporters' baying for sterling's, suso's and wisdom's blood would it?

If shelvey had of been as skillful as downing!? How many league goals has downing scored for us again?

If you want to scream \ abuse \ whatever, the young lads, that's your perrogative I guess. I just see it as a bunch of gobshites who one minute want the 'young players' to be given a chance then jump on their backs when the young, inexperienced players make a mistake.

You make me laugh at times, you really do. You should be on the stage.

Guest San Don
I'm with you. As for the game, does anybody know why we are playing a formation which prevents Gerrard from getting anywhere near the opposition penalty area. Its been the same under the last 3 managers. Rafa is the only manager to have played him as an attacking midfielder, his best position. Despite people thinking we are playing 433, you could clearly see today that Sahin (and later Shelvey) were playing ahead of Gerrard and Allen in more of a 4231. Its utter madness. The reason we scored so many goals in 08/09 (yes 2009 was only 3 years ago) was because Stevie was playing in behind a world class striker. Rodgers has not tried this at all. When we have virtually no goal threat apart from Suarez, surely you want Gerrard as high up the pitch as possible?

Well he is 32 now and had serious injuries that kept him out last season. Some suggest it nearly finished his career but I dont know if that is correct.

Whatever the reason, when Gerrard's high up the pitch, people then complain he isnt in midfield and allows the oppos to get at the defence.

The lad just cant fucking win whatever he does.

dutch media saying we have agreed a transfer for huntelaar. shit better be true. really need a striker in the box.

hope to God this is true. a blind man can see it. we need an experienced striker. how penny-pinchers (fsg) missed this only God knows. we play football pleasing to the eye but should also be able to score goals which we've not able under Brendan thus far for lack of a recognized striker.

Strange that Sterling plays every week? Who would you play instead of him?

I think its strange he gets to play the full 90 minutes almost every game yes, especially when you look at the return you get in such a vital position in the set up.

Our wide attacking players need to contribute with more goals either as scorers or creators and its not really happening at the moment so why we are not trying other options out during the games where everyone else apart from Suarez struggles to create I have no idea about really.

We only used two subs today, why not give Henderson or Assaidi a chance?

I think its strange he gets to play the full 90 minutes almost every game yes, especially when you look at the return you get in such a vital position in the set up.

Our wide attacking players need to contribute with more goals either as scorers or creators and its not really happening at the moment so why we are not trying other options out during the games where everyone else apart from Suarez struggles to create I have no idea about really.

We only used two subs today, why not give Henderson or Assaidi a chance?

Fair comment.

I also think that getting players in the box to stand a chance of scoring would be a step forwards.

I reckon once either one of them (Suso or Sterling) bags one, we'll see plenty more. People will probably say Sterling's more of a goal threat but I reckon Suso has it in him to score 5-10 easy.

Hes great in the box and finding space when he does get in there. He just needs to get his shooting boots on properly.

Just finished watching that. I'm a little torn in how I'd assess it. On the one hand we dominated the game and we looked really good for a large part of it. On the other hand, there is a certain sense that we've seen that before on numerous occasions, and the old deficiency of not putting the ball in the back of the net was there for all to see.

So, I can fall into a pit of despair or I can take heart from what was right. I choose the latter.

Looking into the game in more detail reveals that Shelvey had two great chances to win it for us. The lad looks like he has a few goals in him, but unfortunately he didn't have any today. I thought Allen was OK, but a little more wasteful in possession than normal. It was frustrating to see Wisdom do that foul throw and then be punished so harshly toward the end of the first half. I thought Jones went down too easily as the ball smashed over him. I can't decide if it was a great finish from Cabaye or if Jones should have stood his ground, not buckled so much at the knees, and parried it clear.

Suarez was excellent. His goal was brilliant. Amazing chest control, then a dink round the keeper and a tap in. Three touches; two of them world class. Not many players can do that in that tight of a space off a ball travelling at that pace from that distance.

I don't know what else to say other than a famous Dickens quote... It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. The game had a little of both. Plenty of people will see the deficiencies and extrapolate that into too extreme of a conclusion. My own personal view is to note the deficiencies, as they are there; but to draw hope from the good things we are doing. Stick a goalscorer in the front three and bring Lucas back to hold the thing together, and we will look that much better. Many of these draws will be turning to wins.

That's the hope, anyway...

We're a bit shit really, stupid decision to sack Kenny.

Honest opinion... you're NOT a bit shit.

Fans seems to be going from one extreme 'top 4 material' to another 'a bit shit'.

You're a capable side, and can give anybody a game, but clearly unable to mount a sustained challenge on anything at the moment. Which leaves you mid-table.

Arguably that IS a 'bit shit' for Liverpool, but in the grand scheme of things, you're still a good side.

I think you're at least 3 quality players away from any hope of top 4, PLUS you're going to have to find a serious replacement for Gerrard in the next couple of seasons too, and deal with the potential of Suarez moving on.

That's just for the first XI, let alone any strength in depth.

The task Rodgers faces is significant, and it's being glossed over (imo).

Maybe some of the youth will come good. But that's a few seasons away at least before they can hope to match the top clubs, and there's no guarantee they will.

FSG are going to have to spend. There's no two ways about it. Only they're going to have to spend extremely well too.

So... not 'a bit shit'

Just facing a lot of hurdles, and the odds aren't in your favour.