You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Post-Apocalyptic Survival (or SHTF)

Paul

Being a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, as I went to collect a prescription from the chemist last night, I naturally cased the joint for supplies in anticipation of leading my family beyond the imminent bird flu/nuclear/zombie apocalypse to the establishment of a new society. My antibiotics for a chest/sinus infection then made me wonder what else they could be used for. For example, could I use Amoxicillin for a major wound infection in the aftermath of a fight to the death against a rampaging vigilante horde?

So, this morning, having taken my tablet and feeling bored/ill, I naturally turned to the internet for the answer. Oh what a world of survivalist information I found. Obviously, Americans lead the way in this field and they've coined the excellent term of SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan) to describe their paranoid community (they're also known as "preppers" - this shit is ace).

What I love about this stuff is how seriously they take it all and how they relate it to real-life situations. For example, the SHTC website has loads of topical stuff related to the hurricane in New York and YouTube is awash with nutters extolling the virtues of preparation. Anyway, enjoy:

SHTF Plan - When the Shit Hits The Fan, Don't Say We Didn't Warn You.

Edited by Paul
  • Upvote 1

I went through a period over the last few years reading a LOT of post-apocalyptic, societal collapse type-fiction, including zombies, plagues, atavistic savagery, vampires, more zombies, even more plagues and even a few good old-fashioned nuclear wars and astreroid strikes. I think I may be burnt out, but I'm always willing to check out any recommendations.

Here are my favourite "Fuck! The entire world's in the shitter!" novels:

Lucifer's Hammer

Swan Song

The Stand

World War Z

I Am Legend

The Unblemished

The Passage

The Road

I've probably missed off loads.

I went through a period over the last few years reading a LOT of post-apocalyptic' date=' societal collapse type-fiction, including zombies, plagues, atavistic savagery, vampires, more zombies, even more plagues and even a few good old-fashioned nuclear wars and astreroid strikes. I think I may be burnt out, but I'm always willing to check out any recommendations.

Lucifer's Hammer

Swan Song

The Stand

World War Z

I Am Legend

The Unblemished

The Passage

The Road

I've probably missed off loads.[/quote']

Read and enjoyed all of those bar The Unblemished. I think I read Lucifer's Hammer and Swan Song off your recommendations on the book thread. The Zombie Survival Guide by the dude who wrote World War Z is good too.

Being a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, as I went to collect a prescription from the chemist last night, I naturally cased the joint for supplies in anticipation of leading my family beyond the imminent bird flu/nuclear/zombie apocalypse to the establishment of a new society. My antibiotics for a chest/sinus infection then made me wonder what else they could be used for. For example, could I use Amoxicillin for a major wound infection in the aftermath of a fight to the death against a rampaging vigilante horde?

So, this morning, having taken my tablet and feeling bored/ill, I naturally turned to the internet for the answer. Oh what a world of survivalist information I found. Obviously, Americans lead the way in this field and they've coined the excellent term of SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan) to describe their paranoid community (they're also known as "preppers" - this shit is ace).

What I love about this stuff is how seriously they take it all and how they relate it to real-life situations. For example, the SHTC website has loads of topical stuff related to the hurricane in New York and YouTube is awash with nutters extolling the virtues of preparation. Anyway, enjoy:

SHTF Plan - When the Shit Hits The Fan, Don't Say We Didn't Warn You.

National Geographic channel - 10 pm.

They are a mad shower of bastards

There's been a great series on this running on National Geographic. By great I mean I'm glad I'll be dead when these loons inherit what's left of the world.

Edit: Okay, so I'm repeating what Dan said but he and all his posts could be killed by an internet pandemic at any moment.

Read and enjoyed all of those bar The Unblemished. I think I read Lucifer's Hammer and Swan Song off your recommendations on the book thread. The Zombie Survival Guide by the dude who wrote World War Z is good too.

Think I recommended Swan Song in the book thread, good book. This is a good read as well The Rising: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Keene: Books

I went through a period over the last few years reading a LOT of post-apocalyptic, societal collapse type-fiction, including zombies, plagues, atavistic savagery, vampires, more zombies, even more plagues and even a few good old-fashioned nuclear wars and astreroid strikes. I think I may be burnt out, but I'm always willing to check out any recommendations.

Lucifer's Hammer

Swan Song

The Stand

World War Z

I Am Legend

The Unblemished

The Passage

The Road

I've probably missed off loads.

You should watch Battlestar Galactica and Jericho .

Guest ShoePiss

There's a survivalist/'preparedness' shop not far from me. I go passed it all the time but I'm a bit scared to see what they have in there and who is running it. They have shit in the window like '72hr kit' and 'NBC filters sale'.

Anyone remember the Iodine tablets the Irish government gave out about 10 or more years ago?

Every household got a packet and in the event of Nuclear war or ye lot breaking Sellafield we were meant to neck our tablets and carry on tendering to the spuds.

May as well have downed an E and gone out smiling and gurning to some heavy beats whilst being vaporized, I'd have thought.

• Upvote 1

Just got my copy of The Twelve. Follow up to Justin Cronin's The Passage. Never have I paid for a book in first week of release but I cannot wait to start this tonight,

I'm about ten chapters in. It's OK so far, but needs to pick the pace up a bit.

• 1 year later...

Just got my copy of The Twelve. Follow up to Justin Cronin's The Passage. Never have I paid for a book in first week of release but I cannot wait to start this tonight,

Just got this Anny , starting it later , is it as good as The Passage ?

It's been a good while since we've had a new 'pandemic that will kill billions, honest' virus for the media go go overboard on.

They still roll out the old H1n5nn5n1h (or whatever the fuck it is this week) every now and again.

I lost interest when they were shitting themselves over bird flu. We all know thats nowhere near as bad as bloke flu. Wusses.