You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky Offer

I'm cancelling my Sports today.  Here's why:

1. Football - there have been at least 5 Liverpool games on BT so far this season - Stoke, Newcastle, Everton, Cardiff, City.  There may be more.  I've stopped giving so much of a shit about watching other teams too, and I'm not really interested in the Champions League.  So, seeing as the content has reduced, why pay the same price for it?  The only other option is paying BT another £12 a month, plus a £15 activation fee, so that can fuck off too.  Essentially, if you wanted to get it in for one month to take advanatge of a run of Liverpool games, it would cost £27.  So, fuck off.

2.  Darts - this is the next main sport I watch.  There's nothing after the worlds until the UK Open in June apart from the Premier League, which I;ve never been that fussed on anyway.  Weeks and weeks of money making followed by a mini tournament one night in May/April.  So, fuck off.

3.  Boxing - I watch all the Sky boxing cards, and enjoy doing so.  But, then when it comes to  big fight, they spend weeks and weeks hyping the fuck out of it on all the channels you actually do pay for, and it's hard to ignore, then on fight night they ask you for another £15 usually fr a pretty crap bill.  Treating you like a mug.  So, fuck off.

4.  Test Cricket - like the darts, there's nothing much in the way of this as I'm only really interested in England until the summer.  So, no real value in paying the fee for cricket.  So, fuck off.

5.  Speedway - something else I watch.  The GP series used to be on Sky but since last season, Eurosport has a 3-year deal to show it.  I.e two more years.  Again, reduced content for me but at the same price, or dearer if you include the constant price increases.  Also, Eurosport isn't part of the Sports subscription, so i can still see this for £22 a month less.  So, fuck off.

6. Snooker - again, Eurosport has this.  The only snooker on Sky is gash like the Premier League, the World Seniors and the Shootout.  Money-making bollocks.  I can see all the snooker I need to see without Sky. So, fuck off.

Anyway, rant over.  I'm actually quite tempted to even tell them to fuck off if they offer me it all for free, but we'll see what happens.  There's no way I'm paying them anything for it until June now, when my resolve will definitely be tested with the UK Open.

• 2 weeks later...

And how do these give you everything?

It's all there to read, you plug it into your Sky dish and your broadband and you get a subscription (anywhere between £20 and £100 per year) and hey presto. You also get Setanta, so you get a 3pm KO on a Saturday afternoon.

It's all there to read, you plug it into your Sky dish and your broadband and you get a subscription (anywhere between £20 and £100 per year) and hey presto. You also get Setanta, so you get a 3pm KO on a Saturday afternoon.

So I would nt need to move the dish?

Also how reliable is the subscription?

Does it give all Sky channels.

Also does thebox have a hard drive for recording and pausing love tv.

Cancelled in the Summer and within 2 days of going through cancellations I was called and given 6 months free. 

did the same last week when my free 6 months was up - got the usual speil about 'what programmes do you watch?' ' downgrade your package' etc. Gave my 30 days notice, within an hour I was called back and given 12 months half price. 

Happy enough with that. Effectively paying 33% of the total cost over 18months. 

So I would nt need to move the dish?

Also how reliable is the subscription?

Does it give all Sky channels.

Also does thebox have a hard drive for recording and pausing love tv.

I'm not sure about love tv, but to record live tv you would need a Vu+ Duo box, which is about £230 and a lot more complicated. 

Some subscriptions are shite, like the variety you get off eBay. I could recommend a reliable one for £40 per year.

To combine the above two paragraphs, I could suggest a reliable sub and a guy who will help you set up your Vu+ Box and he'll charge you £7 per month on a 3 month contract.

You don't need to move your dish for standard UK sat.

Cancelled in the Summer and within 2 days of going through cancellations I was called and given 6 months free. 

did the same last week when my free 6 months was up - got the usual speil about 'what programmes do you watch?' ' downgrade your package' etc. Gave my 30 days notice, within an hour I was called back and given 12 months half price. 

Happy enough with that. Effectively paying 33% of the total cost over 18months. 

Gonna try that myself!

I'm wary of doing this. If they call my bluff, I'm fucked due to the fact that I can't get Virgin in my road

They'll give in, well I fucking hope they do. Haggling with Sky is akin to dating, you have to play hard to get, the saucy big dished fuckers.

I'm wary of doing this. If they call my bluff, I'm fucked due to the fact that I can't get Virgin in my road.

Same here. I cancelled hd, movies and sports last summer and all they offered me was half price sports for 6 months. I just imagined the person on the other end of the phone keying my postcode into Virgin website and just smiling to themselves.

I'm wary of doing this. If they call my bluff, I'm fucked due to the fact that I can't get Virgin in my road.

Same here. I cancelled hd, movies and sports last summer and all they offered me was half price sports for 6 months. I just imagined the person on the other end of the phone keying my postcode into Virgin website and just smiling to themselves.

You have to go through with saying you want to cancel, it doesn't matter about you not being able to get Virgin, just cry poverty and say you can no longer afford it. If they try to talk you into cancelling sport and movies, just say they are the only reason you got Sky in the first place. Once you actually tell them you are cancelling, they will set the cancellation for 30 days from the call meaning you have loads of time to change your mind. I guarantee though their winback team will call you well before the 30 days are up and offer either 6 months free or 12 months half price. I have all the channels and multiroom for £37 per month and was paying something like £67 before I told them I was cancelling -  they don't discount the multiroom bit. A mate of mine has all the channels, two multirooms, HD, landline and broadband and he saves even more than I do after trying the same stunt. You have nothing to lose and loads of money to save.

• 1 month later...

Bit the bullet yesterday and served 30 days notice on my Sky TV. They initially offered me 1/2 price line rental and drop my broadband by £2.50 (which I was entitled to anyway). Declined their offer and put notice on so now to sit and wait!

Anyone else done this recently ?

Bit the bullet yesterday and served 30 days notice on my Sky TV. They initially offered me 1/2 price line rental and drop my broadband by £2.50 (which I was entitled to anyway). Declined their offer and put notice on so now to sit and wait!

Anyone else done this recently ?

They wilk contact you in a 2 weeks or so and probably offer 35 percent off or something.