You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Nexus 4

skend04

Guest davelfc

Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5

and

Here are its key specifications:

1.5GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor

2GB of RAM

8GB/16GB models

4.7-inch IPS Display 1280 x 768 pixel resolution (320 ppi)

Rear – 8MP camera

Front – 1.9MP camera

NFC

2100 mAh battery

And here are the iPhone 5 specs:

Apple A6 Dual Core Processor

1GB RAM

16GB/32GB /64GB models

4-inch Retina Display 1136 x 640 (326 ppi)

Rear – 8-megapixel iSight camera

Front - FaceTime HD camera with 1.2MP photos and HD video (720p)

no 4g either. Was pretty underwhelmed by it until they announced the price.

I've got the galaxy s which was the 2nd google smartphone and even that's has got 16gb of memory.

I wouldn't worry too much about that personally, because by the time the coverage would be acceptable (in my area) I would most likely be looking to upgrade.. it would affect it's resale value though.

Google are really gunning for Apple now; their new tablet is similar to this in that the specs are absolutely brilliant for the price (which is about £90 less than the iPad 4). I really haven't liked any Android tablets up till now - I've just felt that iOS works so much better - but this may well change my mind..

Nexus – Google

Guest davelfc
iOS has been going down the shitpipe for a while now.

I disagree, it's still basically invisible allowing you to get on with your life. I'd have a different phone or tablet today if I could find a UI as good. I've had a few android/other devices, S2, Htc One, a HP Touchpad and a Blackberry Playbook, to name but a few.

I have apple products because 'for me' there's nothing else out there that will do the job better.

I appreciate people will buy devices that suit their needs, I am sure in that case that almost every device out there manages that for the person that chooses to buy one. I just don't get the attitude that people must adhere to others choices because they say so. Or because your choice is different from mine, that suddenly makes mine shit.

The Nexus 4 looks decent and I am happy to see phone makers challenge apple on price, because I believe once there are enough quality devices out there at a decent price then apple will have to lower their prices to compete. A competitive market helps buyers.

I appreciate people will buy devices that suit their needs, I am sure in that case that almost every device out there manages that for the person that chooses to buy one. I just don't get the attitude that people must adhere to others choices because they say so. Or because your choice is different from mine, that suddenly makes mine shit.

Neither do I. I speak as an unhappy iOS device user.

Guest San Don
No micro sd card slot? No thanks.

Looks like the only downside to a bargain. Shame really.

Seriously, if you fill 16gig on a phone you must have a load of crap on your phone.

The more memory provided on phones, lappies, tablets etc, some folk always say its not enough. Stop collecting crap!

I'm going to give it a miss.... it's manufactured by LG and the build quality is already being questioned, plus, it's quite common for a 'plus' version to appear 6 months down the line with a lot of issues ironed out and a couple of enhancements thrown in.

If you're an early adopter, go for it... but otherwise, I'd just wait 6 months... by then there''ll be a enhanced version, or a healthy second hand market.

Other than that, looks a very capable device, with all the benefits of a 'pure' Google device as opposed to a operator branded version.

Guest San Don
I am getting one. Are they in the shops on Tuesday?

Not sure about shops but the Google Shop will be selling them on the 13th. Hope they are geared up to sell at 1 minute past midnight as that's when my order for the 16gig version is going in!

I'm going to give it a miss.... it's manufactured by LG and the build quality is already being questioned, plus, it's quite common for a 'plus' version to appear 6 months down the line with a lot of issues ironed out and a couple of enhancements thrown in.

If you're an early adopter, go for it... but otherwise, I'd just wait 6 months... by then there''ll be a enhanced version, or a healthy second hand market.

Other than that, looks a very capable device, with all the benefits of a 'pure' Google device as opposed to a operator branded version.

Sorry, the build quality isnt being questioned. All the reviews I've seen have been very positive about the build and features. The only grip is from people saying 'where's the memory card slot?'

As I said, if people fill 16 gig on a phone and want to load more stuff on, they must have a lot of shit they never listen to or use. Besides, if you use Google's equivalent of the cloud you should store stuff there.

Wait 6 months for an enhanced version!? Well yes and pay an 'enhanced' price for it!

Ive always thought lg were pretty good. Got a telly and microwave from them and theyre excellent products.

Yep, I dont know where he gets the idea LG is shite.

Seriously, if you fill 16gig on a phone you must have a load of crap on your phone.

The more memory provided on phones, lappies, tablets etc, some folk always say its not enough. Stop collecting crap!

It's a multimedia device. I use my phone for lots of things. I have music and movies for my daily commute. I want more than 16gb so I don't have to swap files over all the time. I use my phone to record HD videos. I also use my phone as a mass storage device. I think 8gb and 16gb options with No choice to expand is a bit dated. I would consider myself in the "power user" category, so yes, I would require more storage than the average user, but when this phone is being released with top-end spec in other areas, its going to be compared with other phones of a similar spec. And storage-wise, it falls short. If you're going to remove the micro sd card slot option, at least offer a decent built in storage. That's just my opinion based on my needs as a user.

Edited by ROTOQ

With the Nexus four, you're not really buying a phone, you're buying a computer you can put in your pocket. It has a USB interface and HDMI out, so when you're at home you plug it into a keyboard and your TV, and use a wifi-enabled hard drive to transfer files, and when you're on the move 16Gb is more than enough. I'll be buying one, and I couldn't give a crap about it not having an SD card slot.

Guest San Don
It's a multimedia device. I use my phone for lots of things. I have music and movies for my daily commute. I want more than 16gb so I don't have to swap files over all the time. I use my phone to record HD videos. I also use my phone as a mass storage device. I think 8gb and 16gb options with No choice to expand is a bit dated. I would consider myself in the "power user" category, so yes, I would require more storage than the average user, but when this phone is being released with top-end spec in other areas, its going to be compared with other phones of a similar spec. And storage-wise, it falls short. If you're going to remove the micro sd card slot option, at least offer a decent built in storage. That's just my opinion based on my needs as a user.

No, it's a phone capable of doing lots of other tasks. What you describe as your needs isnt a phone. In any event, if you do as much as you say, even 32gig expanded memory wont be enough.

Google have clearly made a marketing decision not to include expandable memory. For the vast majority of users I doubt this will be an issue and as I've said, the more memory available, the more crap is installed \ downloaded by users.

Each to their own, though.

Noticed some cheeky gets on ebay saying they accidentally bought 3 or 4 because of google store crashing! Saw one chancing it and asking for 1200 notes for the 16gig version!