You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some of the blues on my Facebook are absolutely frothing at the mouth about that interview. Which is great to see.

Re this new found solidarity with them, let's not forget the "baby's not yours" and "Murderers" chants which were loud and clear on sunday on my television.

Plus 'always the victims'

he has backed down from his early comments:

LIVERPOOL FC skipper Steven Gerrard says he went “too far” with his comments about Everton's style following Sunday’s controversial Merseyside derby.

The Reds midfielder, who described the Blues as a “long ball team” who are “very similar to Stoke”, admits emotions were running high after seeing Luis Suarez’s last-gasp strike wrongly disallowed for offside.

“Just to clarify I’ve watched the game again, and I’ve seen some of Everton’s matches this season, and what I said in relation to their style of play went too far,” Gerrard told the ECHO.

“I was frustrated by the disallowed goal from Luis when I spoke and also some of the things that have been said about Luis in recent weeks which haven’t been fair in my opinion.

“As captain I have a duty to stand up for our players when I feel they are unfairly singled out.

“But it wasn’t my intention to disrespect Everton or Stoke for that matter and I certainly didn’t intend any disrespect to their manager or players.

“I have the utmost respect for David Moyes and Tony Pulis and the job they have done at their respective clubs.

“My main issue was with the goal that wasn’t given and that Liverpool did not get the three points I felt we deserved in what was a fantastic derby match.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/10/31/liverpool-fc-skipper-steven-gerrard-admits-he-went-too-far-with-everton-fc-derby-comments-100252-32133655/

Fuck sake like. Stoke are a bunch of cunts. If you really must back down from the comments, do so, but don't start fucking praising Stoke.

True, but we need to stand up to them rather than just whining about their style of play. It's not as though we know exactly how they'll approach the game the next time we play them.

Was made up that he came out and gave them some shit yesterday - even if I didn't really agree with what he said. Internet was awash with frothing bluenoses last night and when it was pointed out that Moyes et al have spent years having a dig at us - they just sprouted the usual Suarez is a cheat, Norwegian, living in the past blah blah crap. The phrase 'don't give it if you can't take it' doesn't obviously apply to Evertonians.

We're deluded and living in the past apparantley 'cos the future is Blue!!!

Felatio has never elbowed anybody - so he's no cheat

'Evertonians are born not manufactured ' is not digging at LFC

The offical shite banners all around their ground are not signs of small club parania at all apparantley.

Neville has apologised for diving so he's not a cheat either

They don't care what the Red Shite say

Was made up that he came out and gave them some shit yesterday - even if I didn't really agree with what he said. Internet was awash with frothing bluenoses last night and when it was pointed out that Moyes et al have spent years having a dig at us - they just sprouted the usual Suarez is a cheat, Norwegian, living in the past blah blah crap. The phrase 'don't give it if you can't take it' doesn't obviously apply to Evertonians.

We're deluded and living in the past apparantley 'cos the future is Blue!!!

Felatio has never elbowed anybody - so he's no cheat

'Evertonians are born not manufactured ' is not digging at LFC

The offical shite banners all around their ground are not signs of small club parania at all apparantley.

Neville has apologised for diving so he's not a cheat either

They don't care what the Red Shite say

They wouldn't admit it to us, but what Gerrard says reflects the view of many Everton fans that Moyes brand of football is negative and unambitious.

Below from Toffeeweb is fairly typical;

Robbie Shields

007 Posted 19/06/2012 at 12:24:46

Report abuse

Superb piece Declan and some great contributions. Got to have a little disagreement with James Flynn.... Again though, if it doesn't matter who the coach is then why defend Moyes to the hilt and want him to stay? Why not get an enthusiastic person who exudes confidence instead of someone who comes over all dour and dull?

For me, I'd just like to see a team go out, without fear of the opposition and play to their potential, excite the crowd and excite me, not bore me to death most of the time. I want to enjoy watching the mighty blues again and be proud of the way they went about it, not embarrassed and deflated for the most part.

I wonder whether this year IS the year Moyes finally figures this out and goes for it from the off, puts attack before defense and takes it to everyone. Surely even he must be fed up of the same old same old. If Moyes destroys Jelavic like I believe he has so many strikers before him then god help us all. I've seen Rush, Lineker and Wayne Clarke, Jelavic is simply the best finisher I have ever seen, if he can't get 20 goals with the players at our disposal then Moyes has no place at Goodison.

I'm prepared to give Moyes ANOTHER chance, don't fuck it up, go out and be positive from the off, fuck this 40 points target, I want Champions League footy before I die.

Kevin Tully

010 Posted 19/06/2012 at 12:31:32

Report abuse

Moyes is a decent / good defensive minded manager. I really believe it is that simple.

Everyone back for corners, pack the midfield, keep your shape, track back, keep the other team from scoring rather than us going at them - especially the Sky top four / six of the day. Forget all hope away from home against these teams.

When we have had a pasting (that 6-1 by the Arse on the opening day still haunts me) it sends Moyes back into his shell, and back to KITAHTN1 mode.

He definately does not want his reputation to suffer, and will never try to change now ? it's too late.

So, get used too 4-5-1, the magical 40-point marker as our ambition, and decent footy the last few games, when the pressure is off.

Fucking gutless. Seriously do our owners/players/coaching staff not know how fucking stupid they look coming out and apologising like tepid, meek little cowards?

Utmost respect for Tony Pulis? Is he for real?

No wonder we shrivel up into our shells when teams like this kick the fuck out of us. Hope we decide to get a backbone sometime soon.

Tell me what has Gerrard done this season and last season? It is all going the Hyppia and Carragher route. Like it or not he is past it. Take a deep breath and accept it.

Whoever replaced Gerrard has a big job to do. No one going to be like Gerrard in the old days. Sahin was no where near Gerrard in his younger days but he plays intelligently, he has good positional sense and can also score. But he wont be here next season so he is not the one to replace Gerrard.

But fuck it, who is discussing about Gerrard replacement here? We're talking about Gerrard himself. He should sit on the bench and let others play. Plain and simple. You disagree? Tough.

Hat trick against Everton at anfield last season. Wind your neck in

I was pleasantly surprised when he spoke out about the gobshites across the park. He's been all calm and assured in interviews lately. Maybe he made his initial statement as the captain of Liverpool. Todays statement came from the England captain.

Some quotes about Steven Gerrard from fellow professionals. Everybody knows he's a legend:

To me he is one of the super best midfielders in the world. He is an excellent player- Pelé

He is, in my opinion, the best midfielder in the world, and has a track record for delivering on the big occasions. - Graham Taylor

He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more. - Alex Ferguson

He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world. -Carlo Ancelotti

"An excellent player, in my opinion, he is a modern player because he is a player who runs, marks, knows how to pass, cross, score goals and he is a leader on the field for Liverpool. So he is a player that I would like to have in my team." - Kaka

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of (Lionel) Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be. He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that -- players like him are just born with that presence." - Zinedine Zidane

"Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best players in the world. He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to. He is always there in the heat of the battle, leading by example. He is everywhere you look - in defence, in the middle of the pitch and in attack. I would love to be close to that level." -Daniele De Rossi <TIME class="light_text tiny_text timeago no_wrapping" data-timestamp="1352393629" datetime="2012-11-08 16:53:49+00:00">