You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would it be racist to...

Baltar

I know I'm a little bit racist. I see all people as equals, I'd never judge somebody by the colour of there skin, if anything Iv'e judged people by how they have spoken more than how they have looked an example being somebody I started working with had a super scally scouse accent and I though christ what a twat I already hate this guy, turns out he was a genuine, generous and thoughtful young lad whose thoughts and actions constantly surprised me the complete opposite to my first judgement. Anyway my racism is displayed at the beginning of shows like come dine with me, I play the guessing game ''what will they cook'', if they're black, i'll shout some kind of jerk sauce with rice and peas, asian going to be some kind of curry, lower middle class and white will probably have  dauphinoise potatoes and a scotsman will wear a kilt at some point. On TV I find people live up to there superficial stereotype more regionally than racially but with cooking programmes shit cooks generally make what there mum and dad used too.

I do believe most people are a little bit racist but logic puts it where it belongs. I'm completely against faith schools purely because I believe kids of all race and religion should mingle and that little bit of racism that can grow through division and ignorance can disappear permanently when kids put what they know to be true ahead of what they can be led to believe. We are all the same really, same hopes and fears, trials and tribulations other races have a steeper hill to climb but time will even it out.. eventually, not quick enough but such changes are subtle over generations, the norm in the past seems abhorrent today  and the same will hold true in the future if we don't allow fear to build more walls, more divisions. 

• Upvote 1

I suppose the fact that the most spoken language in the USA is going to be Spanish in the near future is quite heartening as its probably the most racist country on the planet.

Wouldn't it be ironic (Dont you think!)if the Mexicans decided to build a wall to keep the Americans out and told them to pay for it.

I'm definitely a bit racist. I used to be more racist but as I grew up I got past that, so now it's a more in built, unintended stereotyping type of racism.

I wish it didn't exist but it does.

An example is that if walking on my in an area I don't know too well, my guard will go up more if a group of normal looking Asian or black lads are walking towards me than if a group of white lads.

Obviously if it's dodgy looking lads, my guard goes up irrespective of race.

I can't help it, I'm afraid.

I'll get slaughtered here because I'm rubbish at writing stuff like this. But when I was a kid I'd throw the word paki around all the time. Pretty much everyone I knew would do the same where I lived. Obviously as the years have gone on and I've educated myself a bit more it's shameful and I'd like to think I'm not a racist now. Subconsciously though, in some ways I still am. If I go down to our corner shop for example I'll always make a point of being more chatty and friendly with the Asian boys down there than I would in a shop run by your average white people. Is it racist to subconsciously want to make a point of not being racist? Have I just turned into Simon?

I'll get slaughtered here because I'm rubbish at writing stuff like this. But when I was a kid I'd throw the word paki around all the time. Pretty much everyone I knew would do the same where I lived. Obviously as the years have gone on and I've educated myself a bit more it's shameful and I'd like to think I'm not a racist now. Subconsciously though, in some ways I still am. If I go down to our corner shop for example I'll always make a point of being more chatty and friendly with the Asian boys down there than I would in a shop run by your average white people. Is it racist to subconsciously want to make a point of not being racist? Have I just turned into Simon?

You subconscious is in perpetual motion.

I suppose the fact that the most spoken language in the USA is going to be Spanish in the near future is quite heartening as its probably the most racist country on the planet.

Wouldn't it be ironic (Dont you think!)if the Mexicans decided to build a wall to keep the Americans out and told them to pay for it.

North Korea

Probably the most racist country in the world.

North Korea? How so? 

Probably the people who they(or their leader) are most hostile towards are the South Koreans and I'm hazarding a guess here but I'd say they were pretty genetically and culturally similar for many hundreds of years,maybe even thousands and that doesnt really constitute racism to me. I tend to base racism more on skin colour etc. Maybe xenophobia is more the word you are hinting at here,although that didnt apply there for a long while either.

I have to say, that is an astonishingly ignorant comment. I wouldn't even put the US in the top 50 of racist countries.

My girlfriend's parents just got back from Sri Lanka, where they were astonished to hear claims from several Buddhist taxi drivers that the Muslim minority were conspiring to render the Buddhist majority infertile so they could outbreed them, to the extent that the Muslims were tampering with everything from medication to food.

They told their tour guide, an educated person with a degree, what the taxi drivers had said, expecting to have a right old giggle together about thick racist conspiracy theorists. Imagine their astonishment when the tour guide said that it was all true.

In fact, everywhere they went, Sri Lankan Buddhists were expressing surprise that we in the UK were willing to tolerate Muslims in our midst so happily. It seems the average Sri Lankan believes that the appropriate course of action towards Muslims should be to "kill them all" (direct quote).

Now consider that there are more than 100 countries on this planet who are less developed than the relatively prosperous and genocidal Sri Lankans, the majority of whom are almost certainly as racist if not more so, and you'll hopefully realise the sheer idiocy of your original claim.

• Upvote 2

I have to say, that is an astonishingly ignorant comment. I wouldn't even put the US in the top 50 of racist countries.

My girlfriend's parents just got back from Sri Lanka, where they were astonished to hear claims from several Buddhist taxi drivers that the Muslim minority were conspiring to render the Buddhist majority infertile so they could outbreed them, to the extent that the Muslims were tampering with everything from medication to food.

They told their tour guide, an educated person with a degree, what the taxi drivers had said, expecting to have a right old giggle together about thick racist conspiracy theorists. Imagine their astonishment when the tour guide said that it was all true.

In fact, everywhere they went, Sri Lankan Buddhists were expressing surprise that we in the UK were willing to tolerate Muslims in our midst so happily. It seems the average Sri Lankan believes that the appropriate course of action towards Muslims should be to "kill them all" (direct quote).

Now consider that there are more than 100 countries on this planet who are less developed than the relatively prosperous and genocidal Sri Lankans, the majority of whom are almost certainly as racist if not more so, and you'll hopefully realise the sheer idiocy of your original claim.

There are racists everywhere and while I maybe incorrect,you are simply arguing against my comment with the same lazy anecdotal evidence you are accusing me of using.

North Korea? How so? 

Probably the people who they(or their leader) are most hostile towards are the South Koreans and I'm hazarding a guess here but I'd say they were pretty genetically and culturally similar for many hundreds of years,maybe even thousands and that doesnt really constitute racism to me. I tend to base racism more on skin colour etc. Maybe xenophobia is more the word you are hinting at here,although that didnt apply there for a long while either.

Love it.

America is the most racist country in the world? What the fuck.

What this about Spanish soon to be the most spoken language there as well? Evidence?

The spanish language comment was sarcasm based on semi humorous articles similar to this one regarding names given to kids in parts of the USA

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/dec/09/jorge-ramos/univisions-ramos-names-jose-camilo-and-maria-are-m/

There are racists everywhere and while I maybe incorrect,you are simply arguing against my comment with the same lazy anecdotal evidence you are accusing me of using.

Anti-Muslim violence in Sri Lanka is hardly anecdotal evidence.

The spanish language comment was sarcasm based on semi humorous articles similar to this one regarding names given to kids in parts of the USA

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/dec/09/jorge-ramos/univisions-ramos-names-jose-camilo-and-maria-are-m/

Unless I'm missing something no one mentioned America when the thread was bumped until you brought it up apparently referencing articles that also were not posted or discussed on here.

Anyway fuck this I'm going back to watching Arnie fuck Bennett up.

Unless I'm missing something no one mentioned America when the thread was bumped until you brought it up apparently referencing articles that also were not posted or discussed on here.

Anyway fuck this I'm going back to watching Arnie fuck Bennett up.

Ive been watching a lot of John Oliver's spats with Donald Trump so this is probably why the US is stuck in my noodle at the moment,and particularly with his speeches about 'The Wall' he will build to keep out Mexicans. I thought others may have noticed hints towards Trump's outbursts but I guess not.

I know I'm a little bit racist. I see all people as equals, I'd never judge somebody by the colour of there skin, if anything Iv'e judged people by how they have spoken more than how they have looked an example being somebody I started working with had a super scally scouse accent and I though christ what a twat I already hate this guy, turns out he was a genuine, generous and thoughtful young lad whose thoughts and actions constantly surprised me the complete opposite to my first judgement. Anyway my racism is displayed at the beginning of shows like come dine with me, I play the guessing game ''what will they cook'', if they're black, i'll shout some kind of jerk sauce with rice and peas, asian going to be some kind of curry, lower middle class and white will probably have dauphinoise potatoes and a scotsman will wear a kilt at some point. On TV I find people live up to there superficial stereotype more regionally than racially but with cooking programmes shit cooks generally make what there mum and dad used too.

I do believe most people are a little bit racist but logic puts it where it belongs. I'm completely against faith schools purely because I believe kids of all race and religion should mingle and that little bit of racism that can grow through division and ignorance can disappear permanently when kids put what they know to be true ahead of what they can be led to believe. We are all the same really, same hopes and fears, trials and tribulations other races have a steeper hill to climb but time will even it out.. eventually, not quick enough but such changes are subtle over generations, the norm in the past seems abhorrent today and the same will hold true in the future if we don't allow fear to build more walls, more divisions.

Brilliant post.

Give that man a fridge magnet!

• Upvote 1

I am still not sure what you mean here rico.

Don't you think the Koreans are very similar people if country boundaries are removed? To be honest I don't know enough about North Korea to accuse the people there of being anything but brainwashed and/or oppressed.

They are the same people but just divided by the West and Russia in 1945 for their own political motivations.