You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would it be racist to...

Baltar

Ah, I've just looked it up & apparently people used to replace the word 'tiger' with the name of the dog out of Dambusters.

Genuinely did not know that.

I'm still not convinced that the t-shirt is racist though.

Having grown up in 70s/80s Liverpool I have a fair few racist phrases and suchlike in the old memory bank.

The kop/anfield before the arrival of John Barnes was like a lot of other grounds in that there would be a good few racist shouts before during and after games at nonwhite players.

As a kid I had little understanding of bigotry and discrimination, which was pretty much a societal problem, and the emergence of black players in the 80s/90s along with the music scene started to break down a lot of these barriers.

Me dad and grandad would say they had black mates and so weren't racist, but would come out with shit that these days makes the skin crawl.

I went to a private school in the late 80s early 90s and some of the blue noses were quite emphatic about how they were a white team, same fellas now would be embarrassed about it.

You could buy paint in the 70s that was labelled nigger brown.

So sadly yeah, know exactly where the phrase comes from, and as a kid came out with some of the same shit, but society for the most part has moved on and people have become a bit more educated, those who understand it is wrong and others who use similar language amongst "friends".

Seems to be a bit prevalent in certain areas over here in Aus though, in what would be considered to be middle class areas of northern Sydney I've walked away from people who have been eager to try and build a convo around such stuff.

Fella who was a mate of a mate was talking about people from the subcontinent saying what is it you lot call them? I replied who, you know the Indians and Pakistanis, what do you call them I just said what you mean pakis - that's it he said and started grinning. I just left him to it. Another bloke moaning about immigrants, I pointed out me and the missus were immigrants, as were the mates who's do we were at, reply was you lot are alright it's that lot the pakis and Indians.

Strange thought system for a set of people who seem to have a really good fucking life.

• Upvote 2

Suggesting that the T-shirt is racist is like saying the phrase "The sun has got his hat on" is racist, because the original song contains lines which are, er, let's say "of their time".

*heads off to google 'the sun has got its hat on'*

Wow! I've only ever known the first couple of lines

Suggesting that the T-shirt is racist is like saying the phrase "The sun has got his hat on" is racist, because the original song contains lines which are, er, let's say "of their time".

I had no idea about the baseball bat and the barbed wire. It's pretty tasteless to anyone not in on the reference.

All publicity is good publicity?

*heads off to google 'the sun has got its hat on'*

Wow! I've only ever known the first couple of lines

That's all anybody knows. Some poor sod of a local DJ got bollocked a few years back when he decided to celebrate the clement spell of weather by playing it, without actually listening to it first.
  • Upvote 1

I completed an Equality and Diversity course on Monday so feel free to ask any questions. I most certainly didn't sleep through it.

I always stay wide awake during those too. You can never let your guard down when the contents of your pocket are under the same roof with Eastern Europeans.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 23 February 2017 at 8:14 AM, Arthur Friedenreich said:

Having grown up in 70s/80s Liverpool I have a fair few racist phrases and suchlike in the old memory bank.

The kop/anfield before the arrival of John Barnes was like a lot of other grounds in that there would be a good few racist shouts before during and after games at nonwhite players.

As a kid I had little understanding of bigotry and discrimination, which was pretty much a societal problem, and the emergence of black players in the 80s/90s along with the music scene started to break down a lot of these barriers.

Me dad and grandad would say they had black mates and so weren't racist, but would come out with shit that these days makes the skin crawl.

I went to a private school in the late 80s early 90s and some of the blue noses were quite emphatic about how they were a white team, same fellas now would be embarrassed about it.

You could buy paint in the 70s that was labelled nigger brown.

So sadly yeah, know exactly where the phrase comes from, and as a kid came out with some of the same shit, but society for the most part has moved on and people have become a bit more educated, those who understand it is wrong and others who use similar language amongst "friends".

Seems to be a bit prevalent in certain areas over here in Aus though, in what would be considered to be middle class areas of northern Sydney I've walked away from people who have been eager to try and build a convo around such stuff.

Fella who was a mate of a mate was talking about people from the subcontinent saying what is it you lot call them? I replied who, you know the Indians and Pakistanis, what do you call them I just said what you mean pakis - that's it he said and started grinning. I just left him to it. Another bloke moaning about immigrants, I pointed out me and the missus were immigrants, as were the mates who's do we were at, reply was you lot are alright it's that lot the pakis and Indians.

Strange thought system for a set of people who seem to have a really good fucking life.

You should have pointed out that they too are in-fact immigrants in that country. As are all white caucasians. 

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You should have pointed out that they too are in-fact immigrants in that country. As are all white caucasians. 

Ultimately everyone to the continent is an immigrant, just some first started arriving 40,000 years ago. 

There’s a fine line to tread as well, when like it or not, you are trying to join a community. By pointing out that I was a white immigrant, it was hopefully inferring the point anyway.

8 hours ago, Arthur Friedenreich said:

Ultimately everyone to the continent is an immigrant, just some first started arriving 40,000 years ago. 

There’s a fine line to tread as well, when like it or not, you are trying to join a community. By pointing out that I was a white immigrant, it was hopefully inferring the point anyway.

I reckon that if you’ve been in the same place for 40000 years, you’re safe to say you’re not an immigrant. 

• Upvote 2