You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Employment advice - giving notice

Fink

Anyone know owt about HR stuff?

My sister has just gotten a job with a direct competitor and has given verbal acceptance to their HR. They want her to start in 3 months. She wants to know what her standing would be if she gave notice now (she is only on 1 months notice) as she wants to try and give them as much assistance she can to help find a repplacement/trainings and handoever etc.

Should she wait..is there anything twattish that the company can do if she tries to be helpful?

Ive told her they will probably put her on garden leave but I dont know the legalities.

She should think about herself and stick to the month's notice. The job could fall through during that time or that could make her leave and she'd be left out of work for two months.

She should also check her contract as in mine I'm not allowed to work for a competitor for at least a year after I leave.

I agree with bigbak. Unless she works for a tiny company that would be properly fucked, I wouldn't give it a moment's thought. The company could have given her a contract with longer notice, but they chose not to. If she tells them now, they might bin her. i would not chance it.

Anyone know owt about HR stuff?

My sister has just gotten a job with a direct competitor and has given verbal acceptance to their HR. They want her to start in 3 months. She wants to know what her standing would be if she gave notice now (she is only on 1 months notice) as she wants to try and give them as much assistance she can to help find a repplacement/trainings and handoever etc.

Should she wait..is there anything twattish that the company can do if she tries to be helpful?

Ive told her they will probably put her on garden leave but I dont know the legalities.

Yeah, it is likely they will put her on garden leave but that will leave her with 2 months off, unpaid.

It depends on the company really but many will be twattish especially if you are leaving for a competitor. I'd say just hand notice in when she has one month left - unless she has some special reason for giving them that much loyalty... and is she loyal enough to have two months without pay?

To a lot of employers (not all) , employees are just a number.

I would suggest your sister looks after number 1 and gives her notice a month before she wants to leave.

Her contract says 1 month so stick to that, these matters just become messy when you factor in loyalty and human emotion.

Garden leave is paid. But if she says she is going to leave and her notice period is one month, they would put her on a months garden leave, not three.

I find it difficult to understand what she will gain by being 'nice' other than exposing herself to a lot of risk. As others have stated if the job had a three month hand over your sister should have been on three months notice. Tough on the employer if they want it both ways. If they have to lay her off they won't be 'nice' and pay her an extra two months pay.

Complete no brainer - tell them in two months time.

• 1 month later...

How soon do you reckon you can fuck a job off for something else without looking like a dickhead?

Basically I moved jobs nearly six months ago purely and simply because I wanted the employer and job title on my CV, it had no other attraction than that. I planned to stay there a year and then look for something better, problem is I'm bored off my tits and the commute is a cunt.

I just worry that if I've only done six months it'll look like I couldn't hack it, when in actual fact it's a piece of piss - I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

Thoughts? Would a six month stint raise eyebrows?

How soon do you reckon you can fuck a job off for something else without looking like a dickhead?

Basically I moved jobs nearly six months ago purely and simply because I wanted the employer and job title on my CV, it had no other attraction than that. I planned to stay there a year and then look for something better, problem is I'm bored off my tits and the commute is a cunt.

I just worry that if I've only done six months it'll look like I couldn't hack it, when in actual fact it's a piece of piss - I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

What will your employer be like if you jack in will they turn Turk and make it difficult for you.

What will your employer be like if you jack in will they turn Turk and make it difficult for you.

I doubt it, there's quite a big turnover in this particular role, the last two lads who did it stayed a year and the one before them six months. The former because they got better jobs and the latter because he hated it.

I doubt it, there's quite a big turnover in this particular role, the last two lads who did it stayed a year and the one before them six months. The former because they got better jobs and the latter because he hated it.

No harm in looking / lining something up now. It might take longer than you think and if it doesn't then it obviously didn't make a difference to the employer... win win.

I was at my last job for five years. The jobs before that I didn't stay long but they were all shite' date=' I wouldn't even put them on my CV.[/quote']

I can't see you've anything to worry about then... and what employer would be put off to hear you're wanting to leave your current post because its not stretching enough

I always get asked about a six month stint I had when my cv is being considered. The role I am at now I have deliberately waited to around 18 months before considering moving on as short, permanent employment can look a bit iffy on professional CVS. Having a good genuine reason for leaving is helpful.

Hi section,

my wife took a year off after having our second child, she took redundancy from her previous job when she was pregnant. she has since gone back to work. she joined a company on 28th may, simular to you got pissed off with the job and commute, she applied for another job in september with a competitor as a promotion and got it and started her new job on 3rd december so she only completed 6 months in total. i think because there is such a skills shortage out there these days they would look at you attributes rather than your length of service in past jobs.