You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best city and country you've ever visited?

bouncebrigade

Munich

Germany

I love it, and I'm back in July. Germany is just ace for loads of reasons and easy to get too,

Berlin

Germany

I love Germany. Have to say I love Stockholm too, but as place of residence it seems a bit silly to choose that. Not sure I'd have it above Berlin either.

Yes, been to Berlin twice in last few years. Wonderfully relaxed atmosphere and great beer/food.

Guest Pistonbroke
I loved Cologne the first two times I went but it became a bit familiar the third time. Loved the Kolsch though.

A nice pint, plus i rarely get a hangover when i drink the stuff. I find i have to drink a lot more of it to have the same drunken affect as my usual tipples though. Köln used to be the called the gay capital of Germany back in the day, the women were gagging for it. The main drag is a good night out, plenty of decent pubs.

Haha, the place nearly killed me.

By 'place' I mean 'I'.

Vang Vieng is just carnage. Ridiculous number of tubing related deaths every year there now. Have to say that the bars showing Friends reruns from morning until night were utterly depressing, thought Luang Prabang easily trumped it.

• Upvote 1

I was talking about Bolivia today as it happens. My son's teacher is from there.

Amazing geographical features, lovely food and the women are incredible. Its not very easy to get to and is surrounded by the more popular Peru, Argentina and Brasil, so not necessarily packed with tourists either.

Although I did catch food poisoning there from eating undercooked cow's intestine. Made me do projectile green sloppy poos, but didn't tarnish my memory at all.

If your lad's teacher is a woman, then he's a lucky little fucker

I’ve been to a few really good places but Rio probably just edges it, the time I went was early June, the weather wasn’t that hot but it was bearable, the fact that it was cheap there was great, most people there seemed to be constantly enjoying themselves, lots of fit women and a lot safer than I had thought. Went to 3 footy matches there and the tickets were less than a fiver and some fella just kept bringing us beer. The nightlife is great and got back to the hotel just as the sun was coming up.

Argentina was incredibly laid back and Buenos Aires reminded me a lot of Madrid and Paris, the Argentinians I thought were very friendly and helpful – I thought I was going to get spat at when I told then I was British!, they’d always make an effort to speak to you in English and were very proud of their country and heritage. The food was lovely and we got bladdered most nights quite cheaply.

Found India and Sri Lanka to be massive ballaches, some parts were nice of India, I went the lake palace in Udaipur where Octopussy was filmed and that and the lake was beautiful. The constant harassment got to me and really wound me up. You get relaxed and someone will start bothering you but never take the hint that you aren’t interested. I bribed a copper there who wanted to arrest me for not wearing a seatbelt in a car that I hired, even though the owner was driving me around!. Delhi is a hole and the hasslers there are on steds and will only leave you alone if you threaten them with violence!

Sri Lanka is nice if you stay in a decent hotel but if you get bored of seeing 10,000 temples a week you may as well just go to Spain and stay on your hotel complex rather than put up with a 10 hour plus flight. Some people had booked cheap package deals you see in the back of the Sunday papers and their hotels were hovels next to the main train line or sewers. At the time I went though only half the country was accessible due to the civil war. Sigirya Rock is good to visit but it takes years to get to as all the roads are awful. Colombo is an absolute dump.

Most dangerous place I’ve been was Ciudad Del Este in Paraguay which is not far from Iguacu falls, we went with our own tour guide who also happened to (luckily) be a local homicide detective. Even though most of the people over the border knew who he was they still tried to sell me and my mate a Desert Eagle and then a 6 inch blade but weirdly never got offered drugs or brasses. I got into an argument over buying a football top basically over a couple of quid and thought to myself “can I be bothered getting knifed or shot over a few quid”. Even on the way out there was no one on the border patrol as a lot of drugs pass through there. We only really went as my mate wanted to get another stamp on his passport, we walked through the border then walked into an immigration office to get our passports stamped, some fella who looked like a corrupt military dictator who took his cigar out of his mouth and shouted “whaarrraa you waaaaaaaannt?”. Driving back over the “friendship” bridge into Brazil you could see a few people walking round with rifles guarding massive houses. Ross Kemp has got nothing on me.

Vang Vieng is just carnage. Ridiculous number of tubing related deaths every year there now. Have to say that the bars showing Friends reruns from morning until night were utterly depressing, thought Luang Prabang easily trumped it.

thank god I went there before all that shit took off. Luang Prabang was absolutely gorgeous when I went, with a fantastic vibe. (no not that sort). I went down from Houay Xai to LP on a slow boat, and LP was still a beautiful, unspoilt place with beautiful, unspoilt people.

It was so special then (getting on for 10 years ago) that, having seen recent pictures of LP and Laos generally crammed with drunken tubing fuckwits, corporate 'handicraft' shops, and shot bars, there's no way I would go back.

No, sorry, I should have made that clearer. LP was fantastic, beautiful and laidback, my more negative comments were directed towards VV.
Having re-read it I get what you were saying now. I was in Luang Prabang last year and it is still all those great things you described, its only noticeable tourism hotspots are the markets which are still good fun.

Surely your view of a place is entirely coloured by the experiences you have there. Let me therefore contextualise my love of NYC. I went there on the final week of my month long round the world honeymoon and racked up amazing experiences almost by the hour; highlights include:

1. Seeing Saving Private Ryan whilst madly jet lagged at the most iconic cinema I've ever been to (The Zeigfeld Theatre).

2. Eating dim sum in Chinatown at a tiny three table restaurant.

3. Cocktails at The Rainbow Rooms, watching helicopters flying between the buildings at night.

4. Standing on the roof of one of the twin towers and looking down at a twin prop plane fly beneath us. A truly disorientating experience.

5. Buying records at the original Fat Beats.

6. Seeing The Beastie Boys and A Tribe Called Quest live at Madison Square Garden.

7. Getting a pastrami on rye with a bottle of Miller at 3am sitting next to two armed (and stedded up) cops.

8. Hearing one of the best singers I've ever heard in my life (and I reckon I know soul music) busking on the subway. She looked like she was on crack, but her voice was unreal.

I could go on and on, but hopefully I've made my point. Similarly, The Dam was the scene of my own stag do and also two other amazing boys' weekends away and Palma is where I've had some amazing times with my family; etc, etc.