You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best city and country you've ever visited?

bouncebrigade

City - NYC ahead of Palma de Mallorca, Sydney, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Paris and London (in that order).

Country - Spain by a million miles: weather, culture, food, people - it is an amazing place. The USA, Australia and Indonesia all rate highly too.

I'm blown away by all the USA shouts. It's easily in the bottom three countries I've ever been, to be honest.

Was not that enamoured with New York personally, looked like Dale Steet on steds. Nice to say you've been like. Can honestly say Vegas is the only city that's ever blown me away, but it's not 'real' I suppose. Norway seemed like a nice country, hard to judge if you haven't lived somewhere for a time though.

Think I'll change this to Luang Prabang and Italy.

Luang Prabang? Really? I thought it was good but is way down the list for me' date=' I must have gone to the wrong places or been with the wrong people when I was there.

I'm blown away by all the USA shouts. It's easily in the bottom three countries I've ever been, to be honest.

I knew that massive quilt Malarkey would say USA. The massive quilt.

Luang Prabang? Really? I thought it was good but is way down the list for me, I must have gone to the wrong places or been with the wrong people when I was there.
Funny how your scenario really changes your perception of somewhere. I though LP was stunning and great fun. It was a really pretty city with a lot of fun and the complete opposite of what I expected when I arrived.

I absolutely hated wherever it was I went in Phuket I went, think it might have been Pa Tong, but then reading you loved it. Circumstances.

Haha, the place nearly killed me.

By 'place' I mean 'I'.

Marone, there should be a Vang Vieng survivors club.

The city choice is the hardest one, about 8 strong contenders really, could give a different answer every day. Hard not to pick a recently visited one as well.

I am surprised by all the Barcelona shouts, found myself pretty underwhelmed when I went there.

Also, what is your reasoning? I go largely for aesthetics, so that the people influence is minimised. Having said that, if a place invites fun then it must get bonus points too. I also like somewhere that is a little different and quirky too, with it's own feel and culture. So to break it down in those categories, I'd rate them as follows:

Cities:

Most beautiful: Florence

Most fun: Krakow

Most quirky: Vilnius

Countries:

Most beautiful: Italy

Most fun: Thailand

Most quirky: Laos

I imagine some of you anoraks probably go for history or something.

I really need to stop posting on this thread

Guest Pistonbroke

Same here, but i guess we all have differing experiences. Plus I was in Montana and Wyoming.

Personally for myself i would say:

Country. Canada, although i spent a whole year there so got to discover it more in depth.

City. Quite a hard choice to make as i've been to so many nice ones. Just because i had so much fun with the ladies and i've been there at least 10 times, i'll go for Copenhagen.