You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Family holidays in South East Asia

Jose Jones

Yo GF, advice please.

Due to my missus being a bit fed up of spending any big holidays we have visiting my family and friends back in the old dart, we are considering doing a meeting half way holiday with my folks, sisters, kids and what not.

Any recommendations of places in Thailand/Malaysia/'Nam which are good for family type holidays? Safe and sound enough for 3 and 4 year old kids to run about, but still plenty of things to do? Can you get holiday houses, villas and things which could sleep like 6 adults, 4 kids? Or is it hotels only really?

My experiences in this area are single backpacker style so I haven't got a clue.

Ta.

Man that's the equivalent of going to a hot tub stripper party and not being allowed to use the hot tub or the strippers.

Sure it'll be a riot though old bean!

North Thailand might be a good bet, definitely more chilled out around there as well as cheaper but still loads of activities and there are some big Elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Rai has the incredible White temple and Black house as well as Monkey Cave. I wouldn't stay in the town centre there though as it is knocking shop crazy. Thailand is just full of incredible animal centres and experiences so with bairns that is definitely a good option. Also loads of waterfalls, jungle and amazing buildings there will be loads to do.

Accommodation wise I can't help you as I was slumming it in dirt cheap guest houses, but it should be pretty damn cheap for high quality accommodation.

Man that's the equivalent of going to a hot tub stripper party and not being allowed to use the hot tub or the strippers.

Sure it'll be a riot though old bean!

North Thailand might be a good bet, definitely more chilled out around there as well as cheaper but still loads of activities and there are some big Elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai.

Chiang Rai has the incredible White temple and Black house as well as Monkey Cave. I wouldn't stay in the town centre there though as it is knocking shop crazy. Thailand is just full of incredible animal centres and experiences so with bairns that is definitely a good option. Also loads of waterfalls, jungle and amazing buildings there will be loads to do.

Accommodation wise I can't help you as I was slumming it in dirt cheap guest houses, but it should be pretty damn cheap for high quality accommodation.

I know.

But I am a sad old man these days with two kids, what can you do?

Monkey cave sounds awesome, and an elephant ride would rule too. I will look into it.

Cheers Remster.

I know.

But I am a sad old man these days with two kids, what can you do?

Monkey cave sounds awesome, and an elephant ride would rule too. I will look into it.

Cheers Remster.

Check out Ankhor in Cambodia. Amazing place - your kids will love it you can go for a few days trip from Thailand or Nam. Siem Riep (cannot quote remember how spelt) is the town close to it and is a pretty chilled place.

Ankhor Wat does have some of the most amazing ancient temples and stuff, but not sure I'd recommend it to families. The amount of in your face hassling for sales men/women and children is pretty extreme.

There are some quiet beaches in the South, just avoid the main touristy ones like well known islands and avoid Phuket altogether, it's the Thai Benidorm.

India is worth looking at.

I have only been to Goa but unless you plan on going to the south i wouldnt go there again.The Russians are ruining it.

Kerala is fantastic according to most people and i plan on traveling there in a couple of years.Very safe,Cheap and the people are fantastic.

Kerala, Tourism, Official Website, Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala

• 3 months later...

Still looking to do this. Has anyone been to Krabi in Thailand, or more specifically Klong Haeng village and Nopparat Thara beach in Ao Nang?

Is it any good or shit and touristy?

I still fancy Vietnam but my sister has found a 5 bedroom house with a pool and shit here and flights are pretty easy.

PS Boss pictures there Rem.