You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

pretty sure Brendan said we can recall him, would probably involve us recompensating West Ham though, wouldn't want him back to be honest, I wanted Brendan to give him a chance and have a look at him as he seemingly decided he didn't want him before Andy was even back from the Euro's but I think that ship has sailed now

He's not really impressed much at West Ham yet, and that is despite them playing to his strength's. Dont think we should even consider recalling him at this point. Best hope they stay up and we'll get 20m for him, which you have to say is a great deal considering his goal return since joining us.

We could sell Andy Carroll to Newcastle if we choose too. I don't think there is a precedent but this is a very unusual situation, we clearly didn't want him and tried everything we could to sell him. I'm sure some obscure EU law would restrict UEFA or the FA from stopping Andy signing for a club that actually want him.

Signing Ba would be the act of a desperate club,he is quality but he's fucked. Just look at Joe Cole to see what 20m flushed down the toilet looks like. Walcott I'm warming too, being watching him closely since September and his crossing is absolutely spot on. In the 4 or 5 games I've seen him he has delivered about 20 Steven Gerrard type crosses that where begging to be buried.

Were those crosses aimed at anyone, or were they Downingesque (floated brilliantly into a box void of any attacking players for the opposing keeper to calmly collect)?

He's not really impressed much at West Ham yet, and that is despite them playing to his strength's. Dont think we should even consider recalling him at this point. Best hope they stay up and we'll get 20m for him, which you have to say is a great deal considering his goal return since joining us.

Not much apart from being their highest rated player at Whoscored.com without actually scoring.

West Ham

Suarez is on top for us in case you wonder and what to have a look to see if its something you might be able to agree with.

Personally I've not really watched much of West Ham but Carroll has usually been named as one of their better players.

Liverpool

Merten's could be had for 12m apparently. Bargain right there. He's playing to Hazards / Mata's level at the moment.

Even if Rodgers wanted him would you trust Ayre or any of those oxygen thieves in the boardroom getting it right and securing this lad before we risked getting blown out of the water by the likes of Chelsea, Mancs 1 & 2, or even Arsenal? No, I didn't think so!

We could sell Andy Carroll to Newcastle if we choose too. I don't think there is a precedent but this is a very unusual situation, we clearly didn't want him and tried everything we could to sell him. I'm sure some obscure EU law would restrict UEFA or the FA from stopping Andy signing for a club that actually want him.

Signing Ba would be the act of a desperate club,he is quality but he's fucked. Just look at Joe Cole to see what 20m flushed down the toilet looks like. Walcott I'm warming too, being watching him closely since September and his crossing is absolutely spot on. In the 4 or 5 games I've seen him he has delivered about 20 Steven Gerrard type crosses that where begging to be buried.

Carroll looked like the next big thing and was knocking them in for fun with Newcastle. What went wrong with us, why do we kill the hopes and dreams of youth players? Agree about Ba and the chance of him doing a Cole are too great to risk more than £7 less than £7M. Walcott, I really don't know. He'd only come if we guaranteed he'd start as a striker, is he good enough? Not wanting to compare but Henry was played as a winger when at Juventus and was only given a proper shot as a striker when at Arsenal. You mention the Gerrard type crosses, are these the same type of crosses Downing puts in when theres no one there or the Gerrard crosses from corners that don't get past the first man? If you are referring to the Downing type crosses then what fucking difference would it make getting Walcott in to do the same thing as Downing? The real issue has not been addressed, having someone to put the ball in the net from good crossess/set-pieces that the wingers are putting in. Maybe its a confidence thing. If the wingers knew there was a world class finisher there to convert their chances they'd maybe make more of an effort?

Its become obvious to me Carroll is a slow starter. he was slow and home sick when he was with us and the same is happening at West Ham. Doubt he'd be getting as much grief if he was some Johnny foreigner struggling in a new league.