You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

I know, I remember saying them ;)

Ah, but I wasn't 'using' them. I was just quoting them. I thought them interesting, but didn't use them to push a point. Like saying He's better than Suarez, for example. It's not totally irrelevant, but it certainly is without context.

I do want him. I'm not quite as enthused as you, but I do like him. I loved that goal he scored at the Olympics, but would prefer Walcott or Mertens for that money. Still, maybe we're not done.

EDIT: Yeah, I certainly don't think 12m is Carroll/Downing type overpayment. Might even turn out to be quite a bargain if he can get 10-15 goals a season.

A stat without a point has even less context than one with, no? (a rhetorical question)

I don't remember seeing his goal in the olympics as I didn't watch any of the games. Unfortunately can't see Youtube clips and the like at work, but I do remember seeing him plenty of times getting into very good positions in the box for Chelsea coming from that inside right position and finishing off chances, something we are sorely missing.

I think he can get 15 goals a season, and for £12m, that would be a bargain.

Great some blokes opinion is given credence because it is a blog!

If you listen to most of those fans - they seem to watch other teams football extensively, including the lower leagues, and German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, and French leagues also.

All in depth - all extensively watched.

If it was saying he was ace then I doubt some would be that bothered.

To be fair you often see things posted on here championing player x,y ,z goals per minute, Downing better than Young according to Villa fans, Carroll same scoring record as Shearer at the same age etc, surely worthwhile posting another viewpoint on two players that seem to defo be on the way.

By the way Hank, as you're no longer a member, you are missing out on my excellent 'assist stats' thread, but in terms of our sporting bet, Gerrard leads the way with 5 assists in all comps. I think he might just make it to 10, especially if we get someone like Sturridge, but really he would smash it if our finishing had been better.

If it was saying he was ace then I doubt some would be that bothered.

To be fair you often see things posted on here championing player x,y ,z goals per minute, Downing better than Young according to Villa fans, Carroll same scoring record as Shearer at the same age etc, surely worthwhile posting another viewpoint on two players that seem to defo be on the way.

I don't mind opposing fans views - I think they watch the player, and can give a good point of view.

My point was that a Liverpool fan - couldn't have watched players that much! I can believe he watches Sturridge and has seen enough to offer a point of view, but to have watched Ince enough (for Blackpool) is stretching it. I'm sorry but I struggle to believe a fan can offer a valid analysis of another teams player, and certainly not two teams players.

I watch Liverpool, and the live football - when the mood takes me, that is all, and I thought Paulson would be a good signing because of what I saw at Valencia.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
By the way Hank, as you're no longer a member, you are missing out on my excellent 'assist stats' thread, but in terms of our sporting bet, Gerrard leads the way with 5 assists in all comps. I think he might just make it to 10, especially if we get someone like Sturridge, but really he would smash it if our finishing had been better.

Our midfield is so igldy at the moment, I'm surprised he has any at all.

Repeating myself here as I said it on the MF as well, but have seen Loic Remy being linked with Newcastle for I think £10m, and the little I have seen of him I really liked. Looked similar to Sturridge, but right footed.

Seems to be out of favour now, so perhaps the times I saw him he played better than usual. But looking at his scoring record, I think him and Sturridge either side of Suarez, with all 3 of them swapping positions would be excellent, and could possibly get us 50 goals in a season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So we are wasting a combined 18mil on two unproven players yet again.

To be perfectly honest, I'm gutted Sturridge has turned out to be such a failure. No goals. No assists. Says it all, doesn't it.

I don't mind opposing fans views - I think they watch the player, and can give a good point of view.

My point was that a Liverpool fan - couldn't have watched players that much! I can believe he watches Sturridge and has seen enough to offer a point of view, but to have watched Ince enough (for Blackpool) is stretching it. I'm sorry but I struggle to believe a fan can offer a valid analysis of another teams player, and certainly not two teams players.

I watch Liverpool, and the live football - when the mood takes me, that is all, and I thought Paulson would be a good signing because of what I saw at Valencia.

I understand what you are saying, I can see how people would have a view on Sturridge as Chelsea games tend to be more high profile but less so Ince, not that many people watch Blackpool surely . Oh no wonder you thought Poulson was good he never played for Valencia, he was good at Sevilla and certainly isn't as bad as we seen here, didn't look to bad in midfield for Ajax in their win against City, Hodgson could make Messi look shite.

Sturridge and Ince could be worse could be much better though. I know Rodgers didn't cross paths with Sturridge at Chelsea but I assume some of the city scouts know him from his time at City maybe!.

Ince is obviously well known to Frank McParland and the rest so you could make a case that it is quite a conservative approach of buying players we know Allen, Borini, Sturridge and Ince so far. The couple we didn't have any dealings seem to be out of the first team plans at the moment Sahin and Oussadi.

One thing is for sure is any chance of Gerrard playing further forward looks to be totally squashed and his place will be as one of the three in midfield.

With as many risks as we've been taking, on pretty much all fronts, a conservative approach is good IMO.

I understand what you are saying, I can see how people would have a view on Sturridge as Chelsea games tend to be more high profile but less so Ince, not that many people watch Blackpool surely . Oh no wonder you thought Poulson was good he never played for Valencia, he was good at Sevilla and certainly isn't as bad as we seen here, didn't look to bad in midfield for Ajax in their win against City, Hodgson could make Messi look shite.

Haha - see, Valencia/Sevilla! I couldn't tell the difference. It is my worry with Mertens in that I only see the highlights on ESPN, nothing more. I can see how you can watch a player, we all keep a look out for someone if they are linked with us - but there is no way you 'know' the players weaknesses and strengths from that.

Because neither player, for me, are of the quality we should and still are able to be signing.

Our stated strategy is to buy players who will reach that level. I'd rather buy the finished article too, but in the context of the strategy these seem reasonable deals given we can fit the pieces and parts together.

Be happy with both Ince and Sturridge. Though i reckon one more is needed, be surprised if we went for both Walcott and Sturridge but having both would make a massive difference.

Agree, mate.

We shouldn't be looking at signing Sturridge and Ince and then think 'job done', we should be looking at getting another forward in. Would be great if it's Walcott, but it's obviously easier said than done.

As I said in the thread I started on here the other day, I'm at the stage now where I just want us to sign as many players as possible capable of notching consistently, and then we should start worrying about systems and how to fit them in. Have players who can score regularly and the goals will go in. It's not exactly rocket science.

Wait a second - Sturridge's contract ends this season?

And we're paying £12m?!

Fucking hell. Who the fuck is negotiating this for us, Montgomery Brewster?

Now that I didn't realise. That's simply a ludicrous thing to do especially given our apparent financial limitations. Who the hell is negotiating these deals? We've got to be the worst operators in the Premiership.

Moneyball indeed.

It just doesn't make any sense. Sturridge is obviously hellbent on leaving, Chelsea aren't that arsed about keeping him, and i'd say that there are few clubs more attractive than us vying for his signature.

£12 would be daylight robbery. Given that his contract ends in 6 months time, we should be paying around £7m.

Ian Ayre, thank god we have him.

Now that I didn't realise. That's simply a ludicrous thing to do especially given our apparent financial limitations. Who the hell is negotiating these deals? We've got to be the worst operators in the Premiership.

Its actually incomprehensible. People can talk about how we did them over with the Torres deal, it seems like we're the ones bending over now.

Stupid club.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nah, it doesn't. Not according to just about everybody. He signed a four year deal, but most say there was an extra year activated by clauses. Most places, like this, say he is contracted 'til the middle of 2014. That's a year and a half left.

It won't stop people having a mindless dig at the owners though. They are, after all, the devil. Unless every decent source I've read is wrong, and we're buying him for 12m when we could sign him to a pre contract for nothing, then that'd obviously be incredibly stupid.

And we're paying £12m?!

Fucking hell. Who the fuck is negotiating this for us, Montgomery Brewster?

Sturridge signed a 3 year contract in 2009, there has been no mention of that contract being extended that I have found in a google search, however there is apparently a 1 year option (not sure who has the option), and quite a lot of the press are reporting that he has 18 months left, so they are either wrong (not out of the question), or have more info than us (also plausible).

I believed he had 6 months left, so thought we'd get him for £8-10m because of it, but with it being reported he will cost £12m, then perhaps he really does have 18 months left.

EDIT: Sorry, meant 4 year contract, and obv hadn't seen Hanks response.

Nah, it doesn't. Not according to just about everybody. He signed a four year deal, but most say there was an extra year activated by clauses. Most places, like this, say he is contracted 'til the middle of 2014. That's a year and a half left.

It won't stop people having a mindless dig at the owners though. They are, after all, the devil. Unless every decent source I've read is wrong, and we're buying him for 12m when we could sign him to a pre contract for nothing, then that'd obviously be incredibly stupid.

You are just full of information aren't you hank! If I ever want details I know who to come to.

If what you say is true then £12 seems a lot more understandable. I'd just read a fair few places that he leaves at the end of this year, and was told so by a fair few Chelsea fans I know.

Its not about blaming the owners. If the information I assumed was right was wrong then of course, theres no qualms. But I only know that now.