You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Positive discrimination is the way it's going.

Without forgetting that there is a serious issue centred around this, the whole thing has become a platform for thick cunt footballers to pull out the outraged card.

You only have to look at Rio Ferdinand. He objected to wearing a t-shirt that raises the very issue of kicking out racism, yet a few weeks before he's calling Ashley Cole a choc ice.

The whole thing bothers me as much as having extra referee assistants, at the side of the goal, for European games.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without forgetting that there is a serious issue centred around this, the whole thing has become a platform for thick cunt footballers to pull out the outraged card.

The whole thing bothers me as much as having extra referee assistants, at the side of the goal, for European games.

I think that social disadvantage, exclusion, and in extremes, genocide, is a more serious matter than goal line assistants, but each to their own.

Carlisle,Brown and Roberts just come across to me as self publicists using the race issue to promote themselves higher than their footballing ability ever did/could/will.

They constantly come out with these prepared sound bites that are growing old now. If they are genuinely concerned why not publicly state their philosophy on how to tackle the problem rather than bashing the efforts of others or wanting to govern the game themselves.

The point has been made time and again but why has John Barnes not had these levels of exposure? The guy speaks so much sense and can speak from experience, the powers that be, could do and are doing a lot worse than using Barnes' knowledge and insight.

There are so many valid points and questions raised on this forum alone and i would love a journalist brave enough to ask some of the more challenging questions to these 'experts' and see how they get on with not reciting from a script that is for me wearing thin now.

This was from an interview from the Mirror. Roberts now thinks Terry and Suarez should have been sacked. The only person that should be sacked is an overated , over the hill , useless Reading footballer.

" Jason Roberts reckons John Terry and Luis Suarez were lucky to avoid being sacked - and wants much stiffer punishment for racist abuse in football.

Reading striker Roberts refused to wear a Kick It Out T-shirt last weekend and, despite the consiliatory tone now being adopted by fellow rebels Rio and Anton Ferdinand, will not support the initiative until the scheme does more to combat racism.

The veteran forward, 34, wants more action and less talk from organisations such as the PFA and Kick It Out.

Roberts says the last year has been a "watershed" for British football to finally stamp out racism entirely.

But Roberts remains angry that racist behaviour is not already an automatic sacking offence in players' contracts.

Both Liverpool striker Suarez and Chelsea's captain and centre-half Terry were found guilty of racial abuse - to Patrice Evra and Anton Ferdinand respectively - by independent panels and received FA bans but remain with their clubs.

Roberts said: "It is indicative of the whole thing that something isn't already in place so it is a sackable offence.

"That is something the majority of people would agree with and be surprised it is not in there already."

Guest davelfc
This was from an interview from the Mirror. Roberts now thinks Terry and Suarez should have been sacked. The only person that should be sacked is an overated , over the hill , useless Reading footballer.

" Jason Roberts reckons John Terry and Luis Suarez were lucky to avoid being sacked - and wants much stiffer punishment for racist abuse in football.

Anyone would think he was coming towards the end of his professional career and looking for some highly paid type of job that could be fashioned for himself.

Naah, it couldn't be that.

I read that Roberts presented some sort of action plan to the FA about 7 times (once, seven times, it's all the same) but they didn't do anything with it. He's never made it clear exactly what it is he would like to see happen, and now he's come out with a suggestion that players who racially abuse others should be sacked, because that is something 'the majority of people would agree with'. Despite how noble he's tried to make that sound, I'd like to know how he has come to that conclusion. Has he carried out a poll? Also, has he even once suggested anything about improving awareness and educational on the subject? To my mind, only John Barnes has made clear and concise statements to that effect, but because it doesn't suit the current media narrative or make for sensational headlines, Barnes is largely being ignored. More fool all those that are ignoring him, because they are passing up a great opportunity to educate themselves.

Does anyone think Roberts actually bothered to read the FA report into Suarez / Evra? I bet he didn't, but even if he did he did so with his mind already made up and didn't question any of the inconsistencies.

I'd love to send him the piece I wrote on it and used in my book, although I doubt he's even interested in what really happened.

I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think he has no fucking idea about Suarez's side of the story and hasn't bothered looking into it as it doesn't suit his agenda.

I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think he has no fucking idea about Suarez's side of the story and hasn't bothered looking into it as it doesn't suit his agenda.

Bingo. He's all over the place, saying he'd shake Terry's hand, but he should be sacked. There's no cohesive thinking - he just has to comment on every aspect of race and football and his wildly varying opinions reflect this.

I notice Ferguson has rewritten history and done a complete U-turn, and is now saying Rio did the right thing last weekend. Always leading the crusade, that guy.

Roberts said: "It is indicative of the whole thing that something isn't already in place so it is a sackable offence.

"That is something the majority of people would agree with and be surprised it is not in there already."

That's to do with the high value of players to clubs in modern football though isn't it? The same high values that mean that despite being an utterly ordinary footballer, Roberts is probably a very rich man.

Does anyone think Roberts actually bothered to read the FA report into Suarez / Evra? I bet he didn't, but even if he did he did so with his mind already made up and didn't question any of the inconsistencies.

I'd love to send him the piece I wrote on it and used in my book, although I doubt he's even interested in what really happened.

Obviously it would never happen, but I said on this same thread (I think) that it would be worth getting Roberts or Carlisle or one of the other rent-a-gobs who were constantly putting the boot sat down on the TV and have somebody go over the FA report page by page with them and question them on every single finding and the various inconsistencies and how feasible they think the whole thing is. I think a lot of people would be made to look very silly.

That response the South American professor of linguistics from Brown University on the case was absolutely brilliant. I'll bet hardly any of those so keen to stick their oar in have even glanced at it.

Roberts seems to be preparing for the end of his playing days. Management would be a nice little earner. Well, at least, with a 'Rooney law'', he'll get the interviews. If he's capable he'll get a job. Then he can stop pretending that he's actually trying to promote anyone other than Jason Roberts.

Not quite sure that the FA can tell Liverpool FC to sack one of their employee's, and no club will sign up for a charter that puts them at risk of losing an assett on the back of this.

As I said earlier, if Jason Robert's wants zero tolerance then it is across the board, Suarez gets sack for his charge, so does Ravel Morrison for his homophobic slur, and so does Rio for his.

And I would love to hear his opinion on Marlon King!

Not quite sure that the FA can tell Liverpool FC to sack one of their employee's, and no club will sign up for a charter that puts them at risk of losing an assett on the back of this.

As I said earlier, if Jason Robert's wants zero tolerance then it is across the board, Suarez gets sack for his charge, so does Ravel Morrison for his homophobic slur, and so does Rio for his.

And I would love to hear his opinion on Marlon King!

Whelan, in your first para I think that you are right to point out that self-interest over rules morals every time in football.

Your second para is a little confused ,zero tolerance of racism is not the same as zero tolerance of homophobia, and if the case is being made for zero tolerance of anything then there will be no football!

In your third para,you are right to say that Marlon King, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick, all found clubs happy to pay for the footballing services of these criminally convicted scumbags.

Why not? Genuine question. Being the victim of either is a question of genetics, not personal choice.

Because one is defined by sexual expression, the other by bodily characteristic, and they are separate offences.

Being ginger haired will also be genetic- that does not categorise ginger abuse as racial abuse as defined by the law.

Whelan, in your first para I think that you are right to point out that self-interest over rules morals every time in football.

Your second para is a little confused ,zero tolerance of racism is not the same as zero tolerance of homophobia, and if the case is being made for zero tolerance of anything then there will be no football!

In your third para,you are right to say that Marlon King, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick, all found clubs happy to pay for the footballing services of these criminally convicted scumbags.

Second para is the most relevant, not confused. Either all abuse is unacceptable or we just don't bother. You can't select what is right and wrong based on what is fashionable, PC wise, at the time. Homophobia is every bit as evil as racism. But more importantly.... Can I still call ginger and fat people names?

Second para is the most relevant, not confused. Either all abuse is unacceptable or we just don't bother. You can't select what is right and wrong based on what is fashionable, PC wise, at the time. Homophobia is every bit as evil as racism. But more importantly.... Can I still call ginger and fat people names?

Yes, of course you can. It's quite easy to scale these things.

Because one is defined by sexual expression, the other by bodily characteristic, and they are separate offences.

Being ginger haired will also be genetic- that does not categorise ginger abuse as racial abuse as defined by the law.

CPS website:

A hate crime is any criminal offence that is motivated by hostility or prejudice based upon the victim's:

disability

race

religion or belief

sexual orientation

transgender identity