You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Below is a list all retired black players to represent England, I am working on the basis that the best players, regardless of colour usually get the big gigs after retirement so using just England internationals is fair barometer imo.

How many current premier league managers have represented england?

Back to square one.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy into the idea that black players are under represented in management, media and football in general. Today's managers are the players from 70's, 80's and 90's, the fact is racism was a problem from a different era, an era that meant virtually all players in 70's where white and the vast vast majority of players in the 80's where white too. It makes perfect sense that today's managers are white because all the players where white. It was only in the 90's and 00's that the number of black players started to spiral. I'm not old enough to remember further back than the mid eighties but from what I can see all the top black players had an opportunity of some sort to make waves.

Below is a list all retired black players to represent England, I am working on the basis that the best players, regardless of colour usually get the big gigs after retirement so using just England internationals is fair barometer imo.

Ian Wright - Very high profile within the media

Des Walker - went into coaching at Forest and seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Viv Anderson - Went into management, failed. Works for MUTV

John Barnes - Failed in management, works for ESPN

Sol Campbell - Only just retired

Paul Ince - Failed at management

Stan Collymore - High profile on the radio

Cyrille Regis - Football agent

Paul Parker - Couple of low profile management jobs, works for Yahoo

Carlton Palmer - Failed in management

Luther Blisset - Still coaching

Michael Thomas - Not involved in football

Andy Cole - Doing his coaching badges

Ugo Ehiogu - Runs a music label

Chris Powell - Doing well in management

Keith Curle - Seems to be sacked regularly but still managing

Dion Dublin - Sky Pundit

Tony Daley - Fitness coach at Wolves

John Salako - Pundit at Sky

Mark Walters - Himself and Torben Pichnik are both teachers at Aston Villa's academy

Brian Deane - Sports consultant for solictors firm

John Fashanu - Hosts deal or no deal in Nigeria, mad cunt

Earl Barrett - Doing his badges, currently coaching at Man City

None of them are managing Real Madrid but Ian Rush, Bryan Robson, Ronnie Whelan and Tony Adams and plenty of others are white players from the same generation who also took up management and failed. The reason none of them still manage is because they where shite at it, not because of the colour of their skin.

Yeah black managers don't get the chance do they? Seems Ollie Holts monthly columns about it are bollocks.

Deal or no deal Nigeria? AWOOOGA!

Phil Brown and his pearls of wisdom to the debate.

Former Hull City and Preston manager Phil Brown already has a considerable reputation for being a bit of a prat. But he tried to enhance that image with his input during a radio debate on racism in football this morning.

Brown was a guest on Victoria Derbyshire’s show on BBC Radio 5 Live this morning. But he attempted to turn the discussion into a Phil Brown self-help group as he pondered aloud whether he might have been a victim of racism.

Listeners might have guessed there was trouble ahead from Brown’s first interjection: “I wanna know what racism is. Is it personal? Is it just down to how you feel or is this a global thing?”

He later added: “[Football's] a team game and everybody pulled together with regard to the last 20, 25 years trying to stamp out racism from the world of football.

“In the main, it was from the terraces. Now it’s a player-to-player thing. So, all of a sudden it’s now how personal is that racism, that remark?

“I’ve been called ‘sunbed’. I’ve been called, you know, ‘orange man’… and it’s not as serious as what these guys are claiming because it’s from their past and where I’m concerned it’s a level of abuse at my skin colour.

“Now, I don’t class that as an abuse, so I just get on with it. But these guys…”

And to top it off, he then wondered whether Rio Ferdinand is campaigning to bring racism back into football.

He said: “I’m not too sure what point he’s trying to make. If he’s not going to wear a Kick It Out campaign [t-shirt], is he not wearing it to bring it back?”

Brown must be heading for his final strike when it comes to 5 Live debates. After all, he’s already accused Andrea Pirlo of being homophobic for not playing in England (see video above) in a previous discussion.

Former Hull City and Preston manager Phil Brown already has a considerable reputation for being a bit of a prat. But he tried to enhance that image with his input during a radio debate on racism in football this morning.

Brown was a guest on Victoria Derbyshire’s show on BBC Radio 5 Live this morning. But he attempted to turn the discussion into a Phil Brown self-help group as he pondered aloud whether he might have been a victim of racism.

Listeners might have guessed there was trouble ahead from Brown’s first interjection: “I wanna know what racism is. Is it personal? Is it just down to how you feel or is this a global thing?”

He later added: “[Football's] a team game and everybody pulled together with regard to the last 20, 25 years trying to stamp out racism from the world of football.

“In the main, it was from the terraces. Now it’s a player-to-player thing. So, all of a sudden it’s now how personal is that racism, that remark?

“I’ve been called ‘sunbed’. I’ve been called, you know, ‘orange man’… and it’s not as serious as what these guys are claiming because it’s from their past and where I’m concerned it’s a level of abuse at my skin colour.

“Now, I don’t class that as an abuse, so I just get on with it. But these guys…”

And to top it off, he then wondered whether Rio Ferdinand is campaigning to bring racism back into football.

He said: “I’m not too sure what point he’s trying to make. If he’s not going to wear a Kick It Out campaign [t-shirt], is he not wearing it to bring it back?”

Brown must be heading for his final strike when it comes to 5 Live debates. After all, he’s already accused Andrea Pirlo of being homophobic for not playing in England (see video above) in a previous discussion.

That's absolutely outstanding.

Hahahaha! Amazing scenes.

I don't buy into the idea that black players are under represented in management, media and football in general. Today's managers are the players from 70's, 80's and 90's, the fact is racism was a problem from a different era, an era that meant virtually all players in 70's where white and the vast vast majority of players in the 80's where white too. It makes perfect sense that today's managers are white because all the players where white. It was only in the 90's and 00's that the number of black players started to spiral. I'm not old enough to remember further back than the mid eighties but from what I can see all the top black players had an opportunity of some sort to make waves.

Des Walker - went into coaching at Forest and seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Dion Dublin - Sky Pundit

Mark Walters - Himself and Torben Pichnik are both teachers at Aston Villa's academy

None of them are managing Real Madrid but Ian Rush, Bryan Robson, Ronnie Whelan and Tony Adams and plenty of others are white players from the same generation who also took up management and failed. The reason none of them still manage is because they where shite at it, not because of the colour of their skin.

Couldn't agree more. Here's an old post of mine from 2009. It still stands: http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/1776220-post36.html

I'd like to add to that, that it's actually a minor miracle that ANY body ends up in management. There are only 92 jobs available at any one time, and according to FIFA in 2010 there were 4,850,569 people who were playing football. And that's just in one year. Every year taht number is recycled with new people coming and going.

The fact there are no black men in one of teh top 20 premier league management jobs has FUCK ALL to do with them being black. It's to do with the odds. Simple as that.

I wish people would shut the fuck up about it.

I said in the Clark Carlisle thread, but I'll say it again here. Football is the LEAST racism part of life I can think of. Please show me another profession that creates as many young, black, working class millionaires as football does!

It's bollocks.

Dion Dublin - Sky Pundit

No wonder Villa are shite.

I cannot understand the thinking behind forming a breakaway group?

If there is anger about the punishment dished out to John Terry then that has nothing to do with KIO, that is the FA and the criticism of KIO is simply because it is linked to the FA. But a breakaway group of black players will be nothing more than a pressure group, and severly limited in its scope. It solves nothing. What Roberts, Rio and others have failed to notice is that for any anti racism movement to succeed it does need the consensus of white players and white fans (and asian fans as well, who seem to be completely ignored in this conversation), if all you are asking for is larger sentences for players found guilty then you need to have the support of more than the black players, they might not like this but it is a fact.

And, if as a consequence of this call for greater punishment and zero tolerance is heeded then this has to be the case across the board, so it should be zero tolerance for Rio calling Ashley Cole a choc ice, it should be zero tolerance for Frimpong calling Spurs fans Yid Scum, it should be zero tolerance for Ravel Morrison using faggot, zero tolerance doesn't and shouldn't just apply to insults that are aimed at black footballers.

The one player who must be pissed off is Joleen Lescott who has at least shown consistency in boycotting the movement since the Emre incident, nobody has given a fuck about him - still doesn't truth be told - but I think an organisation addressing issues soley related to black footballers is just going to be counter productive. Football can't stop racism, it can only stop racist chanting and racially offensive insults from occuring within a football ground, step out the ground and walk into any pub on Breck Road and the FA has fuck all influence.

Haha, thats some funny shit, especially that Pirlo line. I'd like to think he's takin the piss.

Dion Dublin - Sky Pundit

Gary Charles, Les Ferdinand, Andy Gray (not the Scottish one), Ricky Hill to add to the list.

All this bollocks could be sorted with a 15 match ban and a 500,000 pound fine for any player who racially insults others. It's so fucking boring now. I'm sick of Jason fucking Roberts and the Ferdinand twats. Intelligent voices needed. John Barnes and David James please.