You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A lot of chants such as " Always the victim" aimed at us and " we know what you are " to Anton Ferdinand from Chelsea fans get their message across. You don't need to use explicit words to get your message across. It won't be found to be racist but maybe rather than reporting it to Fifa a letter to the FA might have sufficed.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps, you seem very sure that you know what hundreds of people were all thinking. The throbbing you are experiencing is certainly not your intellect.

Rio pissed off England's travelling support by his actions. Their adverse reaction was understandable.

To what extent was that prompted by his being black? To what extent was it prompted by his having let his country down and behaved badly?

No-one will ever know, retrospectively, what those fans were thinking. Many may simply have not been thinking.

It is possible to ascribe racist motivation for pretty much anything- demonstrating it is another matter.

So where does Anton Ferdinand come into this? What exactly has he done to be vilified, other than reporting somebody for calling him a fucking black cunt?

Greed, hubris and a tasteless self serving demeanour are fair targets for football fans. Rio displays all that. Confusing that with racism is unwise.

So where does Anton Ferdinand come into this? What exactly has he done to be vilified, other than reporting somebody for calling him a fucking black cunt?

So there's no reference to his colour or ethnicity, but because he's black, a song about him being thrown on a bonfire is automatically racist?

Fuck that. The place is gone PC mad if that's the case.

Then you'll be relieved to know that it's not the case.

The specific reason they were singing about the Ferdinand brothers is because they (the Ferdinands) took offence when Ingurlund's Lionheart gave a gobful of racist abuse. The Ingurlund fans were choosing to side with a racist in a dispute about racism. Some people might interpret that as racist behaviour.

Or perhaps, you seem very sure that you know what hundreds of people were all thinking. The throbbing you are experiencing is certainly not your intellect.

Rio pissed off England's travelling support by his actions. Their adverse reaction was understandable.

To what extent was that prompted by his being black? To what extent was it prompted by his having let his country down and behaved badly?

No-one will ever know, retrospectively, what those fans were thinking. Many may simply have not been thinking.

It is possible to ascribe racist motivation for pretty much anything- demonstrating it is another matter.

And Anton?

Tell us why they were singing about burning him to death, or your argument crumbles.

My guess is that it may include that it further insults Rio, that it fits the song metre, and it supports John Terry, it might be racist, it might not.

Football fans in unpleasant chants shocker?

I am not defending the small minded underbelly of fuckwits which has traditionally attached itself to the national side. I do think that at LFC we know athing or two about how these things can be distorted and get out of hand.

My guess is that it may include that it further insults Rio, that it fits the song metre, and it supports John Terry, it might be racist, it might not.

Football fans in unpleasant chants shocker?

I am not defending the small minded underbelly of fuckwits which has traditionally attached itself to the national side. I do think that at LFC we know athing or two about how these things can be distorted and get out of hand.

Further insults Rio? Fits the song? Supports John Terry in what, his racist views? Fucking hell those are some pathetic excuses. Are you Olly Holt?

Please don't ever confuse our support for a player who was hung out to dry on no evidence and essentially fucked up the arse through a national witch-hunt, with their support for a racist, cheating, worthless fuck in JT. Oh, and yes, you are defending them.

Not interested in carrying on this conversation, agree to disagree.

I actually laughed at this post.

Appallingly fuck-headed attempt to excuse the blatant racism of the crowd.

"Blatant ?"

Now you may guess the motivation of one or more of the individuals, you may be right, you may be wrong.

Blatant demands a level of certainty which just isn't there.If you are a fan of Rio the person ( as opposed to the footballer) good for you.

And you gave the moronic response. Just another day on TLW, I guess.

Your rush to judgement on spurious and uncertain eveidence on racism, and your defence of an unusually odious manc sets s useful benchmark

Football fans can be unpleasant.

This. And Rooney the fuckwit joined in. Will any journslist have the balls to confront Rio or Neville about it?

I think some people getting on their high horses about 'implied racism' in this thread might care to reflect whether they might not have made comments in the past about Rio's appearance that could be construed as racist by Piara Power and co.

This. And Rooney the fuckwit joined in. Will any journslist have the balls to confront Rio or Neville about it?

I think some people getting on their high horses about 'implied racism' in this thread might care to reflect whether they might not have made comments in the past about Rio's appearance that could be construed as racist by Piara Power and co.

Wait, I'm confused. What do you mean? They were singing the song too?

"Blatant ?"

Now you may guess the motivation of one or more of the individuals, you may be right, you may be wrong.

Blatant demands a level of certainty which just isn't there.If you are a fan of Rio the person ( as opposed to the footballer) good for you.

Why would anyone imagine that???? The man is a prick of the highest order. (And RubbleRouser - I'd be happy to tell Piara Power that I think Rio Ferdinand's face looks like it was put together with shoddy tools.)

My level of certainty comes from the absence of any other plausible explanation for the songs. Your feeble attempts to scratch around for an alternative explanation only reaffirm this.

Believe me, if anyone wants to start singing against the hubris, arrogance and greed of modern footballers, they can count me in. But if they address the song at Anton Ferdinand (when they've got Ashley Cole and Wayne Rooney right in front of them) then I'll question their motives.

And there's the rub. Anton is a nonentity. A harmless footballer who nobody would notice, if not for the fact that he shares parents with a much higher-profile player. Even so, he has spent a career under the radar - until he was racially abused by the England captain. Now he's fair game for hate-songs.

There is no explanation, other than the England fans were siding with their racist ex-captain.

Blessed Oliver Holt was on about the song that the England fans aimed at Rio and Anton Ferdinand; 'Build a bonfire.......put Rio on the top.......put Anton in the middle........' etc'. This particular song, as Pope Ollie, pointed out in his Mirror column, has been used by others, particularly Manchester fans aiming it at Scousers, and was construed as nothing other than light banter.

Yet Holt suggested that when sung by the England fans the song assumed an altogether more sinister context. As Rio and Anton are both black Oliver decreed the song was a 'racist' chant. He then connected it to USA southern states slave lynchings. Fucking idiotic nonsense of course.

But Holt could detect racism in a white man staring at Beyonce's arse, rather than accept that the guy is merely appreciating her beautiful physique while contemplating masturbation. Such imaginings are idiotic and undermine the cause of eradicating real racism from our society.

It must dawn on him sometime that Rio Ferdinand receives abuse not because of the colour his skin, but because of the colour of his shirt - and the fact that he is a cunt. But so is Holt.

Agreed. I don't think it was racist at all, Anton Ferdinand was just a cuntish means to a end. I'm pretty sure if all things were equal and the Ferdinands were asian, white or hispanic, the song would have been sung. They're demonstrably close brothers and it was clearly way to rile Rio and let them know they're pissed of with him.

Then you'll be relieved to know that it's not the case.

The specific reason they were singing about the Ferdinand brothers is because they (the Ferdinands) took offence when Ingurlund's Lionheart gave a gobful of racist abuse. The Ingurlund fans were choosing to side with a racist in a dispute about racism. Some people might interpret that as racist behaviour.

See your point, but I sided with the Suarez argument against evra. I'm not a racist.

Greed, hubris and a tasteless self serving demeanour are fair targets for football fans. Rio displays all that. Confusing that with racism is unwise.

You can try and artificially make your post seem wise with a few nice words from your online thesaurus, but the simple fact is your view is wrong. You know fine well that this whole issue traces back to the John Terry case (thus the inclusion of Anton who has never done anything of note other the the Terry case) but you have dug yourself in despite you absolutely, 100%, clearly being wrong.

The chants are in relation to a racist incident, and the pocket of fans chanting it have chosen their "side". It's ugly. What is also ugly though is people trying to argue that the chanting didn't have racial overtones. It's almost as bad as the ignorant scum chanting it.

I can see Godwin's law coming in at some point here....