You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To attack the Ferdinand brothers based on the fact that John Terry got into trouble for racist abuse against one of them surely implies at least a degree of closet racism on the part of those England fans involved, even if the particular song used was not openly racist?

I don't get why the word is in quotation marks. Was it racist chanting or not? Or is it because it's 'alleged'? I'm having a hard time understanding what grounds the chant will be interpreted as racist by FIFA who are absolutely mindlessly pointless where race is concerned. The FA? Meh.

To attack the Ferdinand brothers based on the fact that John Terry got into trouble for racist abuse against one of them surely implies at least a degree of closet racism on the part of those England fans involved, even if the particular song used was not openly racist?

Terry was cleared in a court of law complicating this theory.

Terry was cleared in a court of law complicating this theory.

He wasn't cleared of saying it, because the video evidence was unequivocal, but the prosecution was unable to gain a conviction on the grounds of reasonable doubt.

Personally speaking, I have no such doubt.

Wasnt the singing/song based on the fact that the older Ferdinand is a cunt? and deserves to be burned?

What were the words used? apart from putting them both on a bonfire etc etc?

Openly racist? unless they sung things like, burn the black bastards (thats a question, not a statement btw) etc, what is closed racist? as opposed to open?

Just because some fans sung some song, doesnt automatically make them racist, open closed or otherwise.

Can hate of a person not just be hate instead of being labelled as racist when it isnt?

I hate lots of people of lots of races colours and creeds, not because of the said races colours and creeds, but because they are cunts as people.

Why does everything have to be racist just because the person involved is not white?

Far too easy to use the race card to suit an agenda these days, if people want equal rights and opportunities, then look at people as people, and stop using the colour as a bartering option to start with.

If the guy is a cunt, then what difference does his skin colour make? seriously?

Just because some fans sung some song, doesnt automatically make them racist, open closed or otherwise.

They might not be racist, but they could possibly have been Chelsea fans with an axe to grind. Which makes those ones in particular a bit scummy.

They might not be racist, but they could possibly have been Chelsea fans with an axe to grind. Which makes those ones in particular a bit scummy.

I wouldnt argue that, most Ingerland fans are chavs anyway, I just dont get this racist for the sake of it mentality.

I always have acted on the Martin Luther King exhortation that we should "judge a man not by the colour of his skin but by the content of his character". It's a pity that such discernment eludes our sports journalist when they become social commentators. Things aren't always black and white.

MOGLET your argument might work if they were only targetting Rio.

Not trying to argue Zig, I just dont get this "they are racist" without the use of racism in the song.

As I said, hate is one thing, racism is another, were racist words/terms used, or was it just hate for them for being cunts etc?

I personally dont like rio, nothing against his brother, does that make me semi racist?

I just hate the race card being the all covering term regardless, it demeans the whole point of anti racism, when it is used out of hand, so to speak.

Not trying to argue Zig, I just dont get this "they are racist" without the use of racism in the song.

As I said, hate is one thing, racism is another, were racist words/terms used, or was it just hate for them for being cunts etc?

I personally dont like rio, nothing against his brother, does that make me semi racist?

I just hate the race card being the all covering term regardless, it demeans the whole point of anti racism, when it is used out of hand, so to speak.

I didn't mean argument in the sense of us having an argument, the word can also simply describe the point of view you're putting across.

I have every sympathy with anyone who thinks Rio Ferdinand is a cunt, but when people are chanting against his brother too then it's obviously about something different.

That doesn't necessarily make them racist either, I'd agree (and my initial question was just a starting point for debate) but it does imply they give less of a shit about Terry's racist comment than having him in the team. At the very least it's shockingly ignorant and callous to attack the victim rather than the perpetrator.

It would be a close call who would win in a cunt competition, but I reckon Terry edges it.

I don't have any opinion on Anton though, and that's my main point because I reckon he's only getting the abuse because Terry targetted him and ended up retiring over it when he got caught.

I think it's fair comment to ask the question whether that is institutional racism or not.

Thick as must England fans are I'd defend their right to call Camel lip a cunt because he is, and he jibbed off the precious team to get one over the Owl.

Where Camel lip's brother comes into this muddies the water - therefore it is safe to assume that England fans are neanderthal bigots (same as it ever was).

Thick as must England fans are I'd defend their right to call Camel lip a cunt because he is, and he jibbed off the precious team to get one over the Owl.

Where Camel lip's brother comes into this muddies the water - therefore it is safe to assume that England fans are neanderthal bigots (same as it ever was).

I have never understood the travelling England supporters to be honest.

Most of them are supporters of smaller clubs.Obviously minted and/or single and sad.There is such a man who works at my spot,late 30's who has gone to every England home and away match, including tournaments since he was a teenager.He doesn't support a club.It fucking amazes me that.

I think it's fair comment to ask the question whether that is institutional racism or not.

The question is fair. The answer is that it is not.

The matter of what is decent to chant is wholly different, and is becoming wrapped into this .

You seem very sure that you know what hundreds of people were all thinking.

Perhaps it's because you're a pompous cockend.

Or perhaps, you seem very sure that you know what hundreds of people were all thinking. The throbbing you are experiencing is certainly not your intellect.

Rio pissed off England's travelling support by his actions. Their adverse reaction was understandable.

To what extent was that prompted by his being black? To what extent was it prompted by his having let his country down and behaved badly?

No-one will ever know, retrospectively, what those fans were thinking. Many may simply have not been thinking.

It is possible to ascribe racist motivation for pretty much anything- demonstrating it is another matter.

Really? Where did I say so?

The rest of your post does nothing to explain why Anton was the subject of abuse, and is thereby irrelevant.

Both of us can only guess why Anton was included. And that is the point. You are guessing,thank you for acknowledging that, as only anyone can.

My guess is that it may include that it further insults Rio, that it fits the song metre, and it supports John Terry.

Football fans in unpleasant chants shocker?