You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

I assume Code is praising Rodgers for getting the best out of Suarez where Kenny couldn't. No? Okay.

I don't know. To me, at least, it was clear that Suarez was always going to become more effective after his first full season here; the amount of times he hit the post/bar and the number he chances he almost scored last season was, in my opinion, evidence enough that with a bit more fortune, or composure, he was going to start to replicate the goalscoring form he has shown throughout his career.

I think he's a special player and he was always going to improve, no matter who the manager.

I don't know. To me, at least, it was clear that Suarez was always going to become more effective after his first full season here; the amount of times he hit the post/bar and the number he chances he almost scored last season was, in my opinion, evidence enough that with a bit more fortune, or composure, he was going to start to replicate the goalscoring form he has shown throughout his career.

I think he's a special player and he was always going to improve, no matter who the manager.

I agree but he's helped by being the unequivocal focal point; and the additional chances we've been creating.

Suarez said later that the players let their head drop after this one because instead of being just 4 points behind Arsenal with a game in hand we were now 10 points behind and it would be extremely difficult to get 4th.

Agreed. The reason for that dip last season was the collective disbelief in front of the fact that everything was going against us. It was almost surreal all those missed penalties etc. It´s only human to step back for a moment in that kind of situation, and nothing to do with bad coaching or anything like that.

You're just a barrel-full of self-delusion. First you try to dismiss Rafa's tenure by playing down the European Cup and FA Cup wins, suggesting winning on penalties isn't something the manager should take much credit for, then only counting league performances to paint a picture of how poor he was. Now you're ignoring the league and focusing on the League Cup win on pens as testament of how great we were and how nothing was wrong. You're genuinely delusional. You're not a WUM, you're just mental.

To say nothing was wrong from January whilst we played 19, lost 11 and drew 3 is utterly bizarre. We got 18 points out of a possible 57. 'Nothing went wrong from January'. How mental can you get. Play 19. Lose 11. Nothing wrong. Put it down to whatever reason you want, blame anybody but Kenny if you like, but to say nothing went wrong is beyond delusion. To say it's a myth that we struggled after Christmas is fucking hideous.

Poor numero, struggling to stick to the facts and truth again I see.

Try again, maybe I will bother to reply.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
implied-facepalm1.jpg

If you weren't such an idiot, with such a stupid face, and such a stupid post, he'd probably bother replying to you. But you are. So he won't.

Agreed. The reason for that dip last season was the collective disbelief in front of the fact that everything was going against us. It was almost surreal all those missed penalties etc. It´s only human to step back for a moment in that kind of situation, and nothing to do with bad coaching or anything like that.

Missing pens isn't 'things going against us', it's shit choices of penalty takers.

I don't give a fuck what the players 'thought', it was Kenny's job to make them give a fuck because regardless of not being able to get 4th place, people are still paying £50 to get in and watch them play.

Makes me fume that. "Nothing to play for". You fucking what? There are 45,000 people there idolising them and singing songs about them, and they can't be fucking 'arsed'? How about pride? How about playing for the hell of playing and winning, putting a smile on people's faces. What fucking lofty personal standards the likes of Henderson, Downing, Enrique, Carroll, Adam have that they can't raise their game unless they're getting in the CL...yeah, the long personal history they have of competing at the highest level, it must have come as a real fucking shock for them to not be in the CL once more.

I feel sorry for Downing in some ways, he's just not cut out for this at all. I think if he could flick a switch and be Mr Confident then he would, but he's just frozen by fear. Which makes me petrified of the system we had in place upon signing a player for that much money. If I was signing a player for that much money then not only would I have a doctor testing his physical shape, but I'd have a psychologist and therapist talking to him for a couple of days before he put pen to paper. We obviously didnt have that, no matter what you have heard or are told, one need only see the likes of Henderson, Adam, Downing and Carroll fold like origami to see that we bought some mentally weak players.

I feel sorry for Downing in some ways, he's just not cut out for this at all. I think if he could flick a switch and be Mr Confident then he would, but he's just frozen by fear. Which makes me petrified of the system we had in place upon signing a player for that much money. If I was signing a player for that much money then not only would I have a doctor testing his physical shape, but I'd have a psychologist and therapist talking to him for a couple of days before he put pen to paper. We obviously didnt have that, no matter what you have heard or are told, one need only see the likes of Henderson, Adam, Downing and Carroll fold like origami to see that we bought some mentally weak players.

How the actual fuck would that work?

"Jordan, I want to imagine that Jamie Carragher has passed you the ball 40 yards from your own goal. An opposition player is moving towards you. He looks angry in some ways, and very determined to wrest possession back from you, should the opportunity arise. Do you:

A) Turn, head up and assess you passing options

B) Advance forwards, confident that you can use pace and skill to outmanouevre him

C) Shit yourself, panic and lay the ball off sideways in the hope that one of your players is there

You may only choose one option"